Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Free Agency Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He is not a quitter. We show progress - he plays out his contract. That is my belief. You can believe whatever you want.

There's a middle ground between "quitting" and "not flushing your prime years down the toilet".

That middle ground is probably 2 more years of this shit max. He's not an idiot and he doesn't owe his career to the Oilers just because of some completely random ping pong balls bounced one way instead of another.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So where and more importantly, when is the help coming? I don’t pay attention to talk, I pay attention to action. And so far other than hiring a retread coach there hasn’t been much of that.

I’m not asking for miracles, I’m asking for one top six winger to begin with. I keep getting told they are easy to acquire.

Summer ain’t over yet. Plus retread coach is going to get far more out of what we have than the last 2 “retreads” and probably far more than a shiny new rookie coach.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There's a middle ground between "quitting" and "not flushing your prime years down the toilet".

That middle ground is probably 2 more years of this **** max. He's not an idiot and he doesn't owe his career to the Oilers just because of some completely random ping pong balls bounced one way instead of another.

I don’t profess to know his inner thoughts and I highly doubt you do either. So you choose to believe what you want and so will I.

Either way I said - which you keep ignoring - if we show progress I believe he plays out his contract.

Reactions: McTedi

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Summer ain’t over yet. Plus retread coach is going to get far more out of what we have than the last 2 “retreads” and probably far more than a shiny new rookie coach.

The summer is almost over. Teams will be shutting down soon and won’t start making moves again until training camp. The easiest time of year to improve your team is the draft through July 1. We didn’t do that.

Here are all of the players the Oilers have acquired between July 2 and the start of the season over the last five years. It’s a bunch of junk.

2018:
Alex Chiasson
Josh Currie
Jakub Jerabek
Jason Garrison

2017:
Brad Malone
Jussi Jokinen
Yohann Auvitu

2016:
Taylor Beck
Kris Russell
Zachary Pochiro
Eric Gryba

2015:
Anders Nilsson

2014:
Richard Bachman

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
It is for 31 teams. He’s realistic that we want to compete this year. After that he has said be a perennial playoff team competing for cups.

Different things.
Did we not 'compete' for the playoffs last year? Like every other team?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Summer basically ends the first week of July. After that teams shut down until training camp.

And Tippett hasn’t been all that successful even on teams better than this one.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
The summer is almost over. Teams will be shutting down soon and won’t start making moves again until training camp. The easiest time of year to improve your team is the draft through July 1. We didn’t do that.

Here are all of the players the Oilers have acquired between July 2 and the start of the season over the last five years. It’s a bunch of junk.

2018:
Alex Chiasson
Josh Currie
Jakub Jerabek
Jason Garrison

2017:
Brad Malone
Jussi Jokinen
Yohann Auvitu

2016:
Taylor Beck
Kris Russell
Zachary Pochiro
Eric Gryba

2015:
Anders Nilsson

2014:
Richard Bachman
These moves are “sexy” but we got some competition at the bottom of the roster. Lol every July 2nd

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

2018:
Alex Chiasson
Josh Currie
Jakub Jerabek
Jason Garrison

2017:
Brad Malone
Jussi Jokinen
Yohann Auvitu

2016:
Taylor Beck
Kris Russell
Zachary Pochiro
Eric Gryba

2015:
Anders Nilsson

2014:
Richard Bachman

The difference between this summer and any other in the history of the game is the plethora of unsigned RFAs that will necessitate cap money to still be moved while contracts shift from big money 3rd deals to big money 2nd deals.

There will be good trading opportunity ahead.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think it's implying Gretzky is the drinker, and if his red nose, face, neck and every other part of his being tells you - he's a drinker.

He had another post during the draft implying Holland was drunk when he made the first pick.

He thinks he’s being funny. He’s not.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Samorukov is Nurse in 6 years

Nurse gets dealth

Bouchard gets schultzed

:laugh:

im just saying. If you stick with how it usually works in Edmonton

Puljujarvi is a star somewhere else

Yamamoto ... is playing in Europe

theres all your solid prospects

Lavoie sticks around 20 goal man
Samorukov will be 26 in 6 years thats an interesting take on how long you expect his development to take.

And that's it? Did we forget Broberg, Benson, Jones, McLeod, Marody, Maksimov, and Lagesson exist? I guess if thats the outlook you like to take then carry on.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really surprised Maroon didn't sign July 1st.

Is STL just messing with him as they know he really wants to play there?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Summer basically ends the first week of July. After that teams shut down until training camp.

And Tippett hasn’t been all that successful even on teams better than this one.

Bullshit. Tippett took a much less talented Arizona team to the playoffs 3 or 4 times in a row and just missed the in 2 other years.

Read my other posts with respect to RFAs on other teams and cap space.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Islanders got significantly worse on paper and some how improved a ton.

PDO is a hell of a drug. Id love to ride a PDO bender next year. PDO can make the worst of teams make the playoffs

The key thing is to not make inferences from a PDO filled season. You enjoy it, but you better know full well your team is crashing down to earth next year

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The Oilers are a prospect graveyard.
Sure, when they threw them to the wolves, or simply just made horrible selections. I have a feeling this next crop just might have some actual insulation with McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Klefbom, Nurse, and Larsson on the roster. I'm not even going to try to convince you though, I know how this song and dance goes with you.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don’t profess to know his inner thoughts and I highly doubt you do either. So you choose to believe what you want and so will I.

Either way I said - which you keep ignoring - if we show progress I believe he plays out his contract.

You can believe what you want.

There were plenty of folkes here who were believing this team would "bounce back" last year and Lucic and several others would bounce back too. That Chiarelli had a plan too.

Chanting "drafting is key!" now as if you've uncovered some magical epiphany (instead of something every other GM is well aware of, on top of having to trade well and do other things well) is the standard Oiler operating procedure.

After a GM/coach is flushed they'll yell from the rooftops that they've now "seen the light!" ... no one gives a f***. Get results on the ice against actual NHL teams in an actual season (sorry not pre-season there Rattie and Yamamoto boosters) and then the Oilers can talk.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Bull****. Tippett took a much less talented Arizona team to the playoffs 3 or 4 times in a row and just missed the in 2 other years.

Read my other posts with respect to RFAs on other teams and cap space.
And outside of one year they were perennial first round failures. If only we had gotten 2012 Mike Smith instead of 2019. Our goaltending and defense are some of the worst in the league, something that even noted defensive guru Hitchcock couldn’t fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad