Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Free Agency Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Every day Johansson, Ferland, and Dzingel don't sign is a better day for the Oilers.

Outside of de Haan, not many UFA signed long-term, big money deals after July 2.

There's still plenty of teams with a good amount of cap space, Holland doesn't want to sign any contracts past 2 years, they're not getting Dzingel or Ferland, I doubt it.

They should just sign Maroon if that's the philosophy and get it over with.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
So were counting on a coaching change now being the difference maker? I mean if Hitchcock, Tmac, Eakins, Krueger, Renney, Quinn, Mac T couldnt get it done Tippet is such a step up he will make the magic happen?

I would love to be pleasantly surprised but have my doubts

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don’t believe McDavid is going to cut and run if we show forward progress.

This is the crux of the issue. As you said it yourself, I am not sure why you are debating with people

1. What do you believe if we dont show forward progress? Do you think McDavid will cut and run?
2. Do you believe this offseason (thus far), has shown additions that would bring about forward progress

Myself, I would go all in this offseason so I could show McDavid that forward progress. If you hoard all your prospects and picks and dont show forward progress, what good does that do?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Every day Johansson, Ferland, and Dzingel don't sign is a better day for the Oilers.

Outside of de Haan, not many UFA signed long-term, big money deals after July 2 last summer. They may be forced to go the Maroon short-term deal route, which favors the Oilers plans.
That's true. The longer guys stay on the market the less they end up getting.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is the crux of the issue. As you said it yourself, I am not sure why you are debating with people

1. What do you believe if we dont show forward progress? Do you think McDavid will cut and run?
2. Do you believe this offseason (thus far), has shown additions that would bring about forward progress

Myself, I would go all in this offseason so I could show McDavid that forward progress. If you hoard all your prospects and picks and dont show forward progress, what good does that do?

Yeah but ... Broberg might be .... as good as ... uh Klefbom .... by 2026.

And I'm not saying that to knock Broberg, if he is a Klefbom tier player at 8, that's a decent enough pick, but just to illustrate that you can't pin all your hopes on that one avenue either.

We shouldn't be afraid to trade picks or prospects or make a move if you are getting back a very good young player ... like say an Ehlers.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

And I'm not saying that to knock Broberg, if he is a Klefbom tier player at 8, that's a decent enough pick, but just to illustrate that you can't pin all your hopes on that one avenue either.

We shouldn't be afraid to trade picks or prospects or make a move if you are getting back a very good young player ... like say an Ehlers.

Ehlers would be a dream.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I mean if we were good at drafting and development (which still remains to be seen), then maybe.

But every few years we get all hyped up about the new crop of supposedly amazing prospects this team has and every time they turn out to be duds. I'm not saying trade every pick we have, but hoarding them all and not upgrading the current roster is a very slow process that this team simply can't afford.
I really have no interest in discussing whether or not this crop of prospects is of higher quality that previous ones. You're welcome to assume either way. The point still stands. You can't improve that part of the organization if you choose to minimize your opportunity to improve it. Throw away those darts, the less of a chance you have of hitting a bullseye.

Last edited:
Reactions: North

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
"New sherrif in town" as some kind of marketing tool losts its luster about 4 years ago. No one gives a **** about a new GM, new coach song & dance. Get actual results and then you can talk about that.

The Oilers prospect pool is overrated, there's no forward in the system that looks like they can impact an actual NHL game in a big way coming at all from the looks of it any time soon.

D depth there is fine but really, I mean Broberg is what? Maybe Oscar Klefbom ... who we already have? Having him be what Klefbom is now in 5 years from now... ok, I mean yeah, great, good, but like I'm not gonna do cartwheels over that exactly.

It's easy for you to sit there and say "hey Connor just wait 5 years" ... you have no real skin in the game. You didn't work to be the best in the world at a sport every day of your life since you were 8 years old. You haven't been told you are the next Sidney Crosby for the last 10 years of your life. You don't have that burning type of competetive drive most likely.

You can't say with an assurance that he's just A-OK with being on the worst franchise in pro sports and flushing years of his prime that he will never get back down the tubes.

It's easy to say that behind a keyboard. It's a different thing for him when he has to live that disappointment day in, day out, year in, year out. OK?

The lack of "high end" prospects on this team is very, VERY, concerning. Nobody on our D looks like a #1 guy, and there is only a couple that look like they might be top-4 guys. Benson *might* end up as a 2nd line winger, but after him its crickets on offence.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Absolutely. As Oil fans know, prospects rarley turn out as expected. You need good young prospects, but you also have to be willing to move some to get help now

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Trade for Gusev, sign Dzingel. Start summer vacation.

Gusev-McDavid-Draisaitl
Dzingel-RNH-_______

I would like this quite a bit.
I would also want to leave kassian up with the big boys.
Kassian McDavid Draisaitl
Gusev RNH Dzingel
Nygard Haas chiasson
Lucic Granlund Khaira
Jurco
Cave

* forgot Chiasson ....Marody first call up
Get rid of Brodz

Last edited:

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
I would like this quite a bit.
I would also want to leave kassian up with the big boys.
Kassian McDavid Draisaitl
Gusev RNH Dzingel
Nygard Haas Marody
Lucic Granlund Khaira
Jurco
Cave

Get rid of Brodz

Gusev to the CBJ. Am I wrong?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Even if he’s cheap Maroon ain’t the answer for the top 6! McDavid needs legit top 6 winger why give him scraps?
McDavid doesn't need a top 6 winger...

RNH needs a top 6 winger.

With McDavid making 12.5 and Draisaitl making 8.5. They aren't getting a legit top 6 winger on their line.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
McDavid doesn't need a top 6 winger...

RNH needs a top 6 winger.

With McDavid making 12.5 and Draisaitl making 8.5. They aren't getting a legit top 6 winger on their line.
Maroon still ain’t a top 6 winger with McD or RNH long term

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Even if he’s cheap Maroon ain’t the answer for the top 6! McDavid needs legit top 6 winger other than Drai why give him scraps?

How many 1st lines have 3 stars on the same line? The McDraisaitl line needs a support player to do the dirty work. The second line is the one that needs a legit, consistent 20+ goal player to play with RNH.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Absolutely. As Oil fans know, prospects rarley turn out as expected. You need good young prospects, but you also have to be willing to move some to get help now
No. As Oilers fans should know--the Oilers never developed prospects--ever. They consistently threw their first round draft picks immediately into the NHL and started the clock on them right out of the gate. Anyone drafted outside of the first round failed. It was that simple.

The Bakersfield Condors, as they stand today, are something that is brand new to the Edmonton Oilers. It's a stable farm system with a coach the organization is very familiar with. The Oilers actually have a development model that isn't 'sink-or-swim'.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
The summer is almost over. Teams will be shutting down soon and won’t start making moves again until training camp. The easiest time of year to improve your team is the draft through July 1. We didn’t do that.

Here are all of the players the Oilers have acquired between July 2 and the start of the season over the last five years. It’s a bunch of junk.

2018:
Alex Chiasson
Josh Currie
Jakub Jerabek
Jason Garrison

2017:
Brad Malone
Jussi Jokinen
Yohann Auvitu

2016:
Taylor Beck
Kris Russell
Zachary Pochiro
Eric Gryba

2015:
Anders Nilsson

2014:
Richard Bachman

It would be interesting to compare that list to the one for players signed on July 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad