• 7 Forwards - 3 Defensemen - 1 Goaler

• 8 Skaters - 1 Goaler

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think OEL is gone, they will look at stocking up on futures and saving money.
I agree. If he was a RHD I'd be more interested. But I can't see the team trading Nurse. So unless it was in a deal involving Klefbom, things get crowded on the left side very quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: belair

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
the ARI fans on the mains want to move anyone over 30.

I wonder what we could pry out of them for, say, 14 and Russell.
Everyone over 25 actually.

I think OEL would rebound tremendously under Tippett in any situation. I think Edmonton is actually an ideal situation, regardless of Tippett. I think the combination of Tippett and the talent and competition in Edmonton would see OEL going right back to being top 10 in Norris voting again. I’d be more surprised if he didn’t have a resurgence of that caliber.

Anyway, I think it’s clear Arizona has to trade anyone over 25 they can for “futures” and “cap-dumps”. There’s just nothing else we can do.

How about replacing Kris Russell and Alex Chiasson with OEL and Christian Fischer? Arizona would want futures. One of Bouchard or Broberg (your choice) and that 1st round pick?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I am not suggesting that all of these moves would or should be made. It is really a hypothetical exercise to show that with some planning even bold moves are possible fo a cap perspective.

Like you I have a higher opinion of Larsson than most here. I'd be perfectly comfortable keeping him in the slot I had for Barrie. The rational here is that if they believed that they would be moving on from Larsson there are options to replace him in the short term and get something that can help longer term instead of just letting him walk. Yzerman did a masterful job of the in TB for several years.

Neal has no variance in his deal so the buyout is $1.91M with a cap savings $3.83M. But there are alternatives to a buyout. A trade with retention of $2M costs a bit more on the cap in the first three years but saves the last three. Neal at $3.75M for three years is not that big of a problem to sell with a bit of sweetener. He has scored 20+ goals pretty much every year of his career and guys that do that are going to cost at least $3M. That said I would not buy him out this year unless they needed the space for someone who can impact the roster.

Much appreciated. Your example shows the creativity that can be applied with the cap. Why I don't really get too hung up with hypothetical dealmaking and projecting cap rosters because a smart NHL GM is able to wriggle around the financial barriers especially with ownership willing to pay out dead money via buy-outs. I'd be surprised if Holland bought out a productive Neal this year but next year with expansion draft I could see some creativity to move the player/contract.

Oil defense has been threadbare for a decade neglected to late in their rebuild. I don't see the Oil weakening this vital position to address deficiencies at wing. But I could see a D for D move with another organization that might be missing a 20 minute hard to play against defender within their d-corp mix and a flip that would bring the Oil much needed offensive creativity and puck movement skills within its top four d-corp which is too similar imo.

Ken Holland has his work cut out with the train wreck Chiarelli created. It's why I am so glad this franchise invested in a deeply experienced GM versus a first timer trying to build the plane while flying it too.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I think OEL would rebound tremendously under Tippett in any situation. I think Edmonton is actually an ideal situation, regardless of Tippett. I think the combination of Tippett and the talent and competition in Edmonton would see OEL going right back to being top 10 in Norris voting again. I’d be more surprised if he didn’t have a resurgence of that caliber.

Anyway, I think it’s clear Arizona has to trade anyone over 25 they can for “futures” and “cap-dumps”. There’s just nothing else we can do.

How about replacing Kris Russell and Alex Chiasson with OEL and Christian Fischer? Arizona would want futures. One of Bouchard or Broberg (your choice) and that 1st round pick?
The problem with absorbing OEL's isn't the cap this season, it's his cap moving forward. The Oilers will have numerous players who require raises in the near future and there's limited wiggle room already without an $8m defenseman on the payroll.

As @Fourier mentioned, if Klefbom was involved it could make some sense since his extension will probably get into $7m ballpark in three years. But even then, it's difficult to address other areas of the roster between now and then.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Not the worst, but I really don't like the idea of giving up 2 high end (and cheap) young talents for a soon-to-be 30 year old defenceman who's main sales pitch involves the phrase"he should rebound".

Plus if the Oil target bringing in OEL, another of the higher priced defenceman (Klef, Nurse, Larsson) would need to be moved too.

If you're looking at the Oilers and OEL. I think the deal would be Klef+ or Nurse+ (a modest plus, but not a blue chipper) for OEL, though I'm not sure if that would be overly appealing from a ARI pov.

Though what do you suppose the going rate on Raanta will be?

rt

May 13, 2004
Not the worst, but I really don't like the idea of giving up 2 high end (and cheap) young talents for a 30 year old defenceman who's main sales pitch invovles the phrase"he should rebound".

Plus if the Oil target bringing in OEL, another of the higher priced defenceman (Klef, Nurse, Larsson) would need to be moved too.

If you're looking at the Oilers and OEL. I think the deal would be Klef+ or Nurse+ (a modest plus, but not a blue chipper) for OEL, though I'm not sure if that would be overly appealing from a ARI pov.

I’d take a 2nd for Raanta.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nothing worse than a crowded thong lol
No doubt!

Taking Russell and Chiasson helps for next year but it does little the year after that. Plus I think the team could shed both fairly easily so taking on their salaries is not really adding much from the Oiler side. And while I think the Oilers could work it out capwise It's not clear that the left side is where they need to invest. They have Nurse and Klefbom already and both play a lot. Having one reduced to say 16 minutes is not likely to happen. But unless OEL plays 24+ minutes at his old level, paying him $8.25M would be a big problem. All that said has OEL played much on the right side. I am trying to remember if I have seen him do so but I must confess I can't recall. Who played on the right when OEL played with Hammer?

I can't see the Oiler's moving Bouchard given their lack of depth on the right side. I was not a fan of the Broberg pick, but seeing him in the mini camp was an eye opener. It would probably take some serious lobbying from Tippett to get Holland t move him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sadly the Oil are running short on those :laugh:

I admit, he's a guy I'd love to have in a tandem with Kosko, but I don't see the fit with both team looking to dump cap.
Why not give us the first for Kuemper the. He’s probably a top 3 goalie in the world. He’s in his prime and he’s cheap. I’d still be willing to accept Russell and Chiasson as sumps to make it work.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Why not give us the first for Kuemper the. He’s probably a top 3 goalie in the world. He’s in his prime and he’s cheap. I’d still be willing to accept Russell and Chiasson as sumps to make it work.
Throw in Crouse and you have a deal.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

We'll take Kuemper while you get Neal and a first?

Good?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

OEL has been a "treading water" guy when it comes to fancy stats for the last few years, and you could argue even slightly below treading water, depending what stat you are looking at. Not sure how much of that would be due to playing on an average at best team, but the stats are what they are. $8.25 million and signed until he is 35. I don't know, that would be a very risky move. Is he still a legit top-pairing guy? I'm not so sure about that myself, but I don't watch enough Arizona games to have an "eye test" on the player. His stats are all I can see, and they are nothing to write home about, and don't warrant his salary.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not the worst, but I really don't like the idea of giving up 2 high end (and cheap) young talents for a soon-to-be 30 year old defenceman who's main sales pitch involves the phrase"he should rebound".

The reality is that we would likely trade Nurse, due to salary concerns, as Klefbom is on a ridiculously team friendly deal for another 3 years. While Nurse already makes $1.5 M more than Klefbom for the next 2 years, and will be looking for a big payday in the summer of 22. If we brought in a guy with the skillset of OEL and who shoots left, I'd rather keep Nurse than Klefbom, as it would give us some variance in the type of dman we have. But I can't see how the cap would work in such a scenario.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree. If he was a RHD I'd be more interested. But I can't see the team trading Nurse. So unless it was in a deal involving Klefbom, things get crowded on the left side very quickly.
okay, include Klefbom in a trade for OEL then. Solves that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot