• 8 Skaters - 1 Goaler

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Last thread hit 1k. Can be found [here]

Something I wanted to highlight is the coming expansion draft in the 2021 offseason. Some things I have come around to while thinking about the expansion draft:
  • Thinking more about protecting 8 skaters. I'm hoping Jones next season or Holland this offseason gives us a reason to protect more than 3 defensemen.

• Trading Puljujarvi for a pick in this draft. A week ago I'd hold fast at a 20-some overall pick in the first round, but now I'll settle for a high 2nd rounder. Get something that doesn't need protection and get off this ride.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I voted 7-3-1 in the hopes that they find enough forwards that this is the feasible route (and that Jones and Bear are protected).

But I'm thinking it will be 8 skaters 1 goaltender with 4 of them being D.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
It's actually criminal how these expansion rules value Dmen as 1.5 players like wtf

What happens to a guy like Burns who has played both positions, can SJS classify him as a W and say we plan on playing him on RW next year, so he is a RW?

if so, NURSE IS A RW

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Last thread hit 1k. Can be found [here]

Something I wanted to highlight is the coming expansion draft in the 2021 offseason. Some things I have come around to while thinking about the expansion draft:
  • Thinking more about protecting 8 skaters. I'm hoping Jones next season or Holland this offseason gives us a reason to protect more than 3 defensemen.

• Trading Puljujarvi for a pick in this draft. A week ago I'd hold fast at a 20-some overall pick in the first round, but now I'll settle for a high 2nd rounder. Get something that doesn't need protection and get off this ride.

The strategy I'd use for JP is to keep him this upcoming season regardless if he signs with us or not. If he stays over seas then you leave him exposed in the upcoming expansion draft. If he plays for us and isn't living up to expectations then you leave him exposed. It will be very tempting for Seattle to select a 23 year old, former 4th overall pick similar to Vegas selecting Reinhart.

The trade return we'd get from trading JP is less valuable then losing someone like Jones or Benson in my opinion.

Reactions: bone

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's actually criminal how these expansion rules value Dmen as 1.5 players like wtf

What happens to a guy like Burns who has played both positions, can SJS classify him as a W and say we plan on playing him on RW next year, so he is a RW?

if so, NURSE IS A RW

If we attempted that the league would let Seattle select Nurse then fine the team a 1st round pick for violating a rule. Only Southern US teams are allowed to break rules with no penalties.

Reactions: KlefDown

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
at this point it seems like fate that Jones gets picked.
played junior there for years and then he'll step in and be a top2 dman for them starting game 1

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
played junior there for years and then he'll step in and be a top2 dman for them starting game 1
At this point Jones decides his own fate. Hopefully his plays next season gives Holland no option other than to protect him.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto
Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Jones
XXXX (Koski or the better goalie if we have one)

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Protect McDavid Draisaitl Yams, Nurse, Bear, Jones, Klefbom, Larsson. Sign Nuge after draft.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

if so, NURSE IS A RW

I think the ruling was where was the player listed more frequently in the lineup the previous season

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Since Koskinen has a modified no-trade clause but not a no-move clause, Holland (in theory) isn't forced to use a protection spot on him, correct?

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Protect McDavid Draisaitl Yams, Nurse, Bear, Jones, Klefbom, Larsson. Sign Nuge after draft.

The bolded has his contract expire next year like Nuge and is less likely to be selected. They could have a handshake agreement for Larsson instead if they wanted to keep him and it's less risky. He's a player likely to be trending down while Nuge may still be in his prime (and might ask for more by that point).

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
The bolded has his contract expire next year like Nuge and is less likely to be selected. They could have a handshake agreement for Larsson instead if they wanted to keep him and it's less risky. He's a player likely to be trending down while Nuge may still be in his prime (and might ask for more by that point).
“They” can’t make a handshake agreement on Larsson. If the Oilers choose to leave him as a UFA Seattle has the ability to negotiate with him, if HE chooses to sign there then it will count as our player picked. If he chooses not to he’s technically still a UFA at that point. So we wouldn’t protect him if he’s a UFA but he also can choose to not sign there and we still don’t need to count him as protected.

The last expansion draft was a few days prior to FA if I remember right and the Knights were given the ability to sign before their draft if they chose. So they wouldn’t pick a pending UFA just to have him walk a few days later without a contract.

North

Jun 25, 2009
“They” can’t make a handshake agreement on Larsson. If the Oilers choose to leave him as a UFA Seattle has the ability to negotiate with him, if HE chooses to sign there then it will count as our player picked. If he chooses not to he’s technically still a UFA at that point. So we wouldn’t protect him if he’s a UFA but he also can choose to not sign there and we still don’t need to count him as protected.

The last expansion draft was a few days prior to FA if I remember right and the Knights were given the ability to sign before their draft if they chose. So they wouldn’t pick a pending UFA just to have him walk a few days later without a contract.

They did end up picking a pending UFA from Winnipeg that they didn’t sign but that was because Winnipeg made a deal with Vegas to move back in the first round of the draft to ensure they didn’t lose anyone valuable in the expansion draft.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Well I guess we can solve our top 6 problems if we put Nurse as a RW in 2020-21 I guess
I have wanted to see Nurse at forward for a while I think he could be Burns v2.0 not as good as his shot is not in the same class but he could be a good forechecker and sh*t disturbor in front of the net.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

By handshake deal, I think the poster means that Larsson agrees to terms with Edmonton before he hits free agency and just signs as UFA. I'm sure Larsson could "technically" still say f*** off and sign with another team, but why would he screw over his old team?

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

What’s stopping them from discussing contact beforehand and agreeing verbally? Doesn’t mean he can’t change his mind and sign elsewhere.

Either way I don’t really care. Like the guy and he was a good player for a time but I think they need to part ways this year.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Anyone we can pry out of Pittsburgh? With the reports suggesting that they're not going to be a cap team next year, something has got to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad