• McWinger

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Is this a serious post?
Yes it absolutely is. Did the team not improve drastically this year? Finished 4th in the west 9th in the league and 2nd in the division. 1 st on the PP 2nd on the PK. +8 in goal differential. This is a huge turnaround in one year. Holland knows how to build a winning team 25 straight years the Res Wings made the playoffs after being one of the worst teams for a very long time. What am I missing here?

Reactions: McDoused

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I wonder if there could be a trade to send Khaira to Vancouver for Virtanen.

Virtanen reminds me a bit like Raffi Torres. Hits like a truck and has some offense buried in there somewhere.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
I wonder if there could be a trade to send Khaira to Vancouver for Virtanen.

Virtanen reminds me a bit like Raffi Torres. Hits like a truck and has some offense buried in there somewhere.

Like straight up?

We’d have to include a pick. JJ is one step away from being waiver wire fodder.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes it absolutely is. Did the team not improve drastically this year? Finished 4th in the west 9th in the league and 2nd in the division. 1 st on the PP 2nd on the PK. +8 in goal differential. This is a huge turnaround in one year. Holland knows how to build a winning team 25 straight years the Res Wings made the playoffs after being one of the worst teams for a very long time. What am I missing here?

If you think the Oilers will have the #1 powerplay in the last 30 years again next year or that a PK that was largely carried by goaltending finishes that high again, I have a bridge to sell you. It's absolutely imperative that the team improve it's 5 on 5 play this summer.

Holland didn't do much more with the great Detroit teams other than sit on what he had with the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom. Which, i guess is better than Chiarelli managed. If you're going to mention the glory years you also have to mention that he lost his job because the team lost faith in him and largely drafted like crap the last 5 years.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Greatest failing of Edmonton Oilers in 2020 playoffs? NHL commentator nails it | Edmonton Journal

Completely agree with Al May, esp his assessment of Nurse and Klefbom. If thr
DCorps doesn't change, even if it's just bottom pairing, then Holland failed the team this offseason.

Said in the PGT, if we come back with one of Benning or Russell still anchoring bottom pairing, it's a fail.

D just isn't mobile or smart enough
Russell-Benning pairing in the regular season had a 76.92 GF%, an expensive 3rd pairing, but an effective one. I don't think we are far off at all from rather substantive changes to our d-core just from youth in the system, sometimes you have to seek the change, sometimes the change comes to you and you just have to try not to get in the way of it. I don't want some grand overhaul of our d-core, just a couple tweaks and maybe the right vet to help mentor one of the future key core d-men.

I don't believe that series was an accurate reflection of who or where we are as a team, the circumstances of these "playoffs" were unusual to say the least and we were not playing remotely close to our best. Hot takes analysis based on this short playoffs is not something I'd readily take to heart.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If you think the Oilers will have the #1 powerplay in the last 30 years again next year or that a PK that was largely carried by goaltending finishes that high again, I have a bridge to sell you. It's absolutely imperative that the team improve it's 5 on 5 play this summer.

Holland didn't do much more with the great Detroit teams other than sit on what he had with the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom. Which, i guess is better than Chiarelli managed. If you're going to mention the glory years you also have to mention that he lost his job because the team lost faith in him and largely drafted like crap the last 5 years.
Funny. Same was said about Drai. I see no reason why our PP won’t be just as lethal next year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Funny. Same was said about Drai. I see no reason why our PP won’t be just as lethal next year.

I'm not saying it won't be very good, but banking on it being historically good like it was this year and expecting it to make up with mediocre at best 5v5 play isn't a great idea. If it is, we're laughing, but we can't expect it.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

First off is our PP going to be as good as this year? Probably not but I also don’t expect it to fall off a cliff either. The PK was more result of great PKing from our bottom six then our goalies. Holland did not lose his job he was promoted to make room for Stevie Y. What terrible draft picks over the last 5 years are you referring to exactly. Larkin has been stellar and he found him late in the 1st round. So much revisionist history here it amazes me more and more each day.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
I'm not saying it won't be very good, but banking on it being historically good like it was this year and expecting it to make up with mediocre at best 5v5 play isn't a great idea. If it is, we're laughing, but we can't expect it.
Who is expecting it to make up for the lack of 5on5? Isn’t the idea to improve that part of the team during this offseason? Better 5on5 from the forwards and better transition from the defense.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Quinn is NHL ready. Jarvis will take another year
I haven't seen anyone say he is NHL ready. Especially with Holland at the helm who doesn't rush guys in.

Quinn will need at least a year. It's extraordinarily rare for guys like that to play in their first year unless their team is rushing them.

That and I doubt Quinn falls to 14. Expecting a mid first to come in next year to fill in a spot in our top 6 is not a great idea

Reactions: joestevens29

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
First off is our PP going to be as good as this year? Probably not but I also don’t expect it to fall off a cliff either. The PK was more result of great PKing from our bottom six then our goalies. Holland did not lose his job he was promoted to make room for Stevie Y. What terrible draft picks over the last 5 years are you referring to exactly. Larkin has been stellar and he found him late in the 1st round. So much revisionist history here it amazes me more and more each day.

From 2014 to now, they have drafted two everyday NHLers. That's not good.

Rasmussen was a shit pick, Cholowski was a mediocre pick they're throwing in every trade deal on the mains, Svechnikov was awful. They had 21 picks in '17 and '18 and... for the most part, meh.

I'll look it up later but I read an article showing that the Oilers actual PKers weren't great but the goalies did some great work.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Our PP falling down to the rates 2nd in the league would be would drop us down 9 goals which gives us a negative goal Differential on the year. It's shocking how much better our pp was than second best

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I haven't seen anyone say he is NHL ready. Especially with Holland at the helm who doesn't rush guys in.

Quinn will need at least a year. It's extraordinarily rare for guys like that to play in their first year unless their team is rushing them.

That and I doubt Quinn falls to 14. Expecting a mid first to come in next year to fill in a spot in our top 6 is not a great idea
Fair enough. I still think taking Jarvis or Askarov and drafting is the best thing to do. Not make trades that we don't know will workout

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fair enough. I still think taking Jarvis or Askarov and drafting is the best thing to do. Not make trades that we don't know will workout
To be fair you don't know drafting will work either.

We need to think of the future and the present.

Reactions: KYams17

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
That is an awesome fever dream deal. Just wish beyond all realistic hope Buffalo could be that dumb.

I'm not so sure about that. Mittelstadt and Pulju are fairly comparable (RE: disappointing), and although D should be more valuable than wing, it's not like Montour's developed into anything special. He faces a lot of the same questions as AA in terms of effectiveness.

Though I would pass. The prospect of a Bear, Larsson, and Bouchard RD sounds like a nice balence. Thus you don't need a long term solution, rather someone to bridge the way for Bouchard, and shelter Bear through his sophomore season.

Ideally it's a vet at the end of his career who doesn't mind mentoring the young D, and shifting to the PB as others pass him on the depth chart. I'd avoid someone like Shattenkirk or Barrie, who are looking to get their careers back on track, and will want as much opportunity as they can get.

I suggested it yesterday, but I'm still liking the idea of Big Buff on a 1 year deal.

Nurse-Bear
Klef-Buff/Larsson
Jones-Buff/Larsson

Use AA, Benning and Russell as trading chips to upgrade the #3 C, possibly target a goalie another team's looking to trade, and/or recoup some draft picks.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Russell-Benning pairing in the regular season had a 76.92 GF%, an expensive 3rd pairing, but an effective one. I don't think we are far off at all from rather substantive changes to our d-core just from youth in the system, sometimes you have to seek the change, sometimes the change comes to you and you just have to try not to get in the way of it. I don't want some grand overhaul of our d-core, just a couple tweaks and maybe the right vet to help mentor one of the future key core d-men.

I don't believe that series was an accurate reflection of who or where we are as a team, the circumstances of these "playoffs" were unusual to say the least and we were not playing remotely close to our best. Hot takes analysis based on this short playoffs is not something I'd readily take to heart.

IMO, those in the pipeline will never get a chance if you always hang onto the incumbents May is right in that our D are all horrible puck movers and skaters. That needs to change no matter what the advanced stats show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad