• The Blueline

• Third Line Center

• McWinger

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Three years left on that deal we couldn't do, certainly not at full price. I think they would at 25% coverage.

What if it was 1 for 1 Miles Wood <> Larsson.

Wood is a guy who skates fast and doesn’t do much beyond that so that’s a no go.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
So 2 moves I’ve seen get positive response from other fanbases.

Nurse and Neal for Butcher, Zacha, and a 2nd

I’m in no way in the trade Nurse/Klefa camp, but we get a 3C, a decent dman, and clear Neal’s deal.

Kris Russell for Mike Reilly

Both guys are owed 1.5 million next season, and Russell is clearly the better dman, but Reilly’s caphit is only 1.5, and he can slot in as our 7.

Doing both deals leaves us with about 10.5 million for a goalie and a skater. Say Pietrangelo and LB, or Hall and Greiss?
I kinda like both deals ngl. To expand on these moves:

Larsson for Simon + Murray
14th OA + Chiasson for Rakell + Jones
AA for picks
Khaira dumped for a 7th

Jones - Mcdavid - Rakell
DRY
Simon - Zacha - Kassian
Nygard - X - Archie
Haas

Jones - Pietro
Klef - Bear
Butcher - Benning
Rielly

Murray/Koskinen

= ~77-78 million

Sign a 4c/13th F out of free agency. I feel like Caleb would excel with a partner like AP and Butcher would be a tire fire anywhere other than the bottom pairing. There’s a good puck mover on every d pairing, and a solid skill throughout the forward lineup. Goalies are a bit of a question mark but you protect the better one in the ED and if Seattle wants to pick the lesser of the two so be it.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
If you wanted to sign him to a five year deal, probably somewhere between $4m-5m AAV.

Galchenyuk will sign a one year deal somewhere.

They're two very different players with very different contract expectations.

I wouldn’t want him for 5-years. I’d love to have him come here somewhere between $1.5-3M tops (and yes, $1.5M is low but with a flat cap I’m curious how many other teams can squeeze him in and at what cost) on a one-year deal. If he goes gangbusters and plays himself into a 7 years $6M per year - even if that’s elsewhere - great. We got a guy who played like a $6M forward for a fraction of the cost. Even if he leaves the upside is maybe someone else signs here for a fraction in hopes of establishing a better market for his services.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wouldn’t want him for 5-years. I’d love to have him come here somewhere between $1.5-3M tops (and yes, $1.5M is low but with a flat cap I’m curious how many other teams can squeeze him in and at what cost) on a one-year deal. If he goes gangbusters and plays himself into a 7 years $6M per year - even if that’s elsewhere - great. We got a guy who played like a $6M forward for a fraction of the cost. Even if he leaves the upside is maybe someone else signs here for a fraction in hopes of establishing a better market for his services.
There is absolutely zero chance Granlund signs that low of a deal. A flat cap isn't going to have that much of an impact of what the top UFAs sign for. A 1 year $1-3m deal is what you'd be looking to sign Galy for IMO.

Reactions: MessierII

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Montour doesn’t help with our defensive struggles. He’s a legitimately terrible defender.

Anaheim chose him over Theodore and then couldn’t get rid of him quick enough.

Granted we’d only be giving up AA for him so not the worst deal.

I thought about that, it's probably a defensive downgrade but better asset management to get something for Larsson.

I also wondered if Montour would be a good partner for Klefbom since he's a lot more mobile than Larsson.

You lose the punishing defender but at least you get something for AA.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think Holland will be looking to make massive moves like some are speculating on. The 1st round pick I doubt is in play given the Oilers don't have a 2nd or 3rd.

I think for 3C they will look at guys like Eakin or Jankowski, not big money/term deals.

1B goalie I'd like to go after Lehner, but I wouldn't be shocked if Holland gives Smith another look. I think he's too old.

I don't think Athansiou is going anywhere unless the Oilers are getting a similar scoring winger (in potential) back.

Holland is not a knee jerk GM.

Athansiou McDavid Kassian
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
Neal Jankowski Puljujarvi
Chiasson Sheahan Archibald

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Benning

Koskinen/Lehner (?)

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Oilers need a shit disturber... one that gets the guys into the game , a talker on the ice and bench... thought that was Kassian I til he got the new contract.

I wonder how loud the rumbles get about Domi. RFA entering this offseason, the 31 Thoughts Podcast we're fabricating his ticket out of Montreal Re: Lemieux/Domi relationship.

Pulju (Kotka buddy)
Larsson/Benning (the last RHD they stole from us is working out. I figure they'd want a 2nd paring LHD though)
Chiasson (Because Francophone)

Montreal would ask for Klefbom or Nurse. The Oilers wouldn't do it... but I'd be oh so tempted to get the best value from Nurse before we regretfully pay him his next contract.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
If we're unable to get the winger(s) we need for Connor, Benson needs to be ready steal the LW job on that line next year. Use whatever fitness regimen Bear used last summer, find that slight extra step and get pucks to Connor. Tired of players who can't find Connor in flight with a clean pass.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Oilers need a shit disturber... one that gets the guys into the game , a talker on the ice and bench... thought that was Kassian I til he got the new contract.

In retrospect, definitely wish we upgraded one of the 2nds we gave away to a 1st to get a little annoying puck hound in Pageau. I think he would have been a good C on a 3rd line with Kassian. And obviously would have been useful as a great right handed faceoff man as we got dismantled in the dot by Chicago.

Oh well. 1st rounder was made of gold.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don't think Holland will be looking to make massive moves like some are speculating on. The 1st round pick I doubt is in play given the Oilers don't have a 2nd or 3rd.

I think for 3C they will look at guys like Eakin or Jankowski, not big money/term deals.

1B goalie I'd like to go after Lehner, but I wouldn't be shocked if Holland gives Smith another look. I think he's too old.

I don't think Athansiou is going anywhere unless the Oilers are getting a similar scoring winger (in potential) back.

RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Benning

Koskinen/Lehner (?)

So McDavid is stuck with two anchors, good way to treat the face of the franchise.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So McDavid is stuck with two anchors, good way to treat the face of the franchise.

If AA and Kassian are complete anchors, then fire Holland immediately. He's going in heavy on both guys as solutions on the wings for this team, and we're handcuffed with them.

*I'm assuming Holland extends AA, if only because of the optics of what we gave up to get him

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Kassian was scoring at about a 20 goal rate, Athansiou is a year removed from scoring 30 goals. McDavid has worked with worse.

There isn't some grocery store where you can just pick up a spare 35 goal winger for 4 million cap space, that's not a reality in the cap world especially a flat cap.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
My point is that Montour is completely expendable. They'd also have no room for Larsson.

Buffalo is a team in disarray. It is a franchise that could make some significant moves including upgrading character and stability. Larsson a twenty-mind peak years d-man including some veteran leadership that would be attractive. Dahlin played with Miller but I could easily see Larsson as a solid physical, stay at home battery mate for the young super elite Swede.

I'd be very,very surprised if Buffalo walked away from Montour. Bad teams can't afford to give away solid NHL assets. Deal him? Yup, I can see that but no for a high question mark like AA but rather as part of a character veteran leadership infusion to stabilize a gong show Oiler-eque turnover management system.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Its kind of funny how almost everyone who plays with McDavid is an anchor. McDavid is a generational player but he needs to learn how to click with some guys that arent being paid to be superstars.

If Holland isnt able to bring someone in due to cap restraints I anchor McDavid with JP (a 4th overall talent) and an anchor in James Neal (who put up 40 goals).

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Buffalo is a team in disarray. It is a franchise that could make some significant moves including upgrading character and stability. Larsson a twenty-mind peak years d-man including some veteran leadership that would be attractive. Dahlin played with Miller but I could easily see Larsson as a solid physical, stay at home battery mate for the young super elite Swede.

I'd be very,very surprised if Buffalo walked away from Montour. Bad teams can't afford to give away solid NHL assets. Deal him? Yup, I can see that but no for a high question mark like AA but rather as part of a character veteran leadership infusion to stabilize a gong show Oiler-eque turnover management system.
Buffalo is crazy they got 10 players signed for next season and $34+ Million to play with, they could completely reshape their team in a single off-season. I'm really interested to see what they will do.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Jones Benning

Koskinen/Lehner (?)
Why are we acquiring Calgary's 4c/13th forward to be our 3c?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its kind of funny how almost everyone who plays with McDavid is an anchor. McDavid is a generational player but he needs to learn how to click with some guys that arent being paid to be superstars.

If Holland isnt able to bring someone in due to cap restraints I anchor McDavid with JP (a 4th overall talent) and an anchor in James Neal (who put up 40 goals).
If we are putting "anchors" with McDavid, I would at least want one proven even if declining player up there and one young potential like you have. McDavid agrees the whole team needs to defend better, putting him with AA and Kassian makes his line horrid defensively.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There's not a wealth of centers available and he's a year removed from 2 pretty decent seasons. And probably would be cheap to sign.
I'd rather try Haas who we already have signed than play a guy who got hard ejected out of the Calgary roster, especially at 3c.

You also don't have Russell in your lineup and there is zero chance we can really move him without money coming back. Better chance we move him for a 3c with some money just to get Russell out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd rather try Haas who we already have signed than play a guy who got hard ejected out of the Calgary roster, especially at 3c.

You also don't have Russell in your lineup and there is zero chance we can really move him without money coming back. Better chance we move him for a 3c with some money just to get Russell out.

I like aspects of Gaetan Haas' game but I'm really not sure he's a full time NHL player. I think there's a better chance Jankowski gets back to 10+ goals at some point than Haas getting there.

I think LA might be a taker for Kris Russell. Todd likes him a lot and it's only 1.5 million in actual salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad