• The Blueline

• Third Line Center

• McWinger

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Hypothetically speaking, if Andreas Johnsson and Kasperi Kapanen are available, who is the better fit for the Oilers?

Kapanen seems like he has more speed but lower IQ. He’s also the more gritty/feisty player and plays on the PK. 24 years old and 2 more years left at 3.2 million.

Johnsson probably has the higher hockey IQ which would make him a better fit beside McDavid, but he’s also slower and softer. I also don’t think he’s on the PK. 25 years old and 3 more years at 3.4 million.
Kapenen is a third line player. I would not expect him to be a good top six player.

Johnsson trade value should be lower since be came off a knee injury.

I would trade for Kapenen and give him a chance with McDavid. If he does not fit with McDavid, he can be a third line player + pk.

Athanasiou-Kapenen will be one fast line.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Starting the demonstrably worst goaltender and leaving him in after he struggles early are exactly things someone trying to lose would do, but I don't actually think Tippett was doing it intentionally, he just got in his own way.
Starting Smith was one hundred percent the right call for game one. He had a .936 save percentage in the playoffs for his career. Leaving him in past the 3rd goal was where Tippet failed miserably.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
79% of Smith's playoff career happened 8+ years ago, when he was in his prime. Not almost 40 and 36th in the league in SV% among goalies with 30+ gp this season. He also had much, much better defense in front of him during his playoff success. There is no metric out there to suggest starting Smith wasn't a terrible call for game one.
Maybe we should have acquired Craig Anderson and his 0.928 playoff SV% as a rental just in case.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Starting Smith was one hundred percent the right call for game one. He had a .936 save percentage in the playoffs for his career. Leaving him in past the 3rd goal was where Tippet failed miserably.

His performance in past playoffs is completely irrelevant compared to his performance this season, which was well below average. It was a garbage decision with predictable consequences.

Reactions: fresh meat

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hypothetically speaking, if Andreas Johnsson and Kasperi Kapanen are available, who is the better fit for the Oilers?

Kapanen seems like he has more speed but lower IQ. He’s also the more gritty/feisty player and plays on the PK. 24 years old and 2 more years left at 3.2 million.

Johnsson probably has the higher hockey IQ which would make him a better fit beside McDavid, but he’s also slower and softer. I also don’t think he’s on the PK. 25 years old and 3 more years at 3.4 million.
Considering the lack of cap the Leafs have available, both would be realistically available this fall. The issue is that neither is a particularly good target considering both are expensive depth forwards who count against the cap while it remains static.

Kapanen might be a reasonable target of we're moving a Benning or Larsson, but he's fairly limited offensively, which should be of concern considering Kassian and Archibald are already under contract.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
His performance in past playoffs is completely irrelevant compared to his performance this season, which was well below average. It was a garbage decision with predictable consequences.
He was 11-1-4 from New Years to March 2 what is with the revisionist history on this board? Smith was our number one goalie from New Years on and the stats and win column backs it up. Every coach is going to start a goalie that was his number one most of the year. Especially if he has a career .936 save percentage in the playoffs. Lundquist started for the Rangers this year. In 2012 the devils went with Brodeur who was absolutely dreadful in the regular season. He made the right choice on Smith in game one. He should have pulled him after three goals in 10 min but it was the right choice to start him. Tippets coaching decisions were questionable to say the least this series (DRY line) and were absolutely responsible for losing the series. But that one he got right.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not so sure about that. Mittelstadt and Pulju are fairly comparable (RE: disappointing), and although D should be more valuable than wing, it's not like Montour's developed into anything special. He faces a lot of the same questions as AA in terms of effectiveness.

Though I would pass. The prospect of a Bear, Larsson, and Bouchard RD sounds like a nice balence. Thus you don't need a long term solution, rather someone to bridge the way for Bouchard, and shelter Bear through his sophomore season.

Ideally it's a vet at the end of his career who doesn't mind mentoring the young D, and shifting to the PB as others pass him on the depth chart. I'd avoid someone like Shattenkirk or Barrie, who are looking to get their careers back on track, and will want as much opportunity as they can get.

I suggested it yesterday, but I'm still liking the idea of Big Buff on a 1 year deal.

Nurse-Bear
Klef-Buff/Larsson
Jones-Buff/Larsson

Use AA, Benning and Russell as trading chips to upgrade the #3 C, possibly target a goalie another team's looking to trade, and/or recoup some draft picks.

NHL puck moving d-man nicked up by injuries the past year whose been productive but out of favour in a churning organization. Montour could potentially step into PP time with a reset in the Oilers organization and provide critical skating and puck moving skills on a stagnating top two pairings. Most proven of the proposed trade pieces and intriguing what a fresh start and opportunity might provide. Mittelstadt got Oiler early access pass that ruined the kid's confidence overwhelmed in Buffalo. I think a young player with wing/centre potential he might be an intriguing reclamation project not unlike Pool Party but little threat to go to Europe.

I see more proven and likely rebound to Edmonton bound in this hypothetical. Defence over wing. And Mittelstadt/Puljujarvi is likely a saw off.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
No, I love Seider and he won't come cheap :)

Seider is part of the 'Neue Welle' (led by Draisaitl), he's going to surprise a lot of naysayers that underestimate these young German players (just as Drai was). I could see Stutzle and his compatriots being some of the more successful players this draft at the end of their careers. Hard-nosed, skilled and underrated players.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Klefbom + McLeod + 1st

for

Moritz Seider

Oilers can retool the defense and get a possible star in Seider as he was extremely good in the AHL and in my opinion goes top3 easily in a 2019 redraft.
Wings get an ok D in Klefbom with 3 more years contract and some future help in the middle in McLeod plus a mid first.

That is a lot to give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->