Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Free Agency Interview Period Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Bear shouldn't be a full time NHLer unless he shows he can handle it. Switch him with benning whenever you're looking for offense, until a Dman starts stinking the place up, then give bear a shot. Unless he blows us away in camp, 7D or AHL is where i want him. A few okay games at the end of last year is not something I'm willing to bet on..
7D makes zero sense, he needs to play if you want to develop him, signing Davidson to sit in the PB is the much better solution

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hockey culture can be so ****ing stupid.

If you don’t like him because his defensive game has holes, by all means deal him but he’s an elite offensive defenceman. If two teams now have shipped him out because he’s more of a loner and likes museums... I have no words.

This is the very definition of what is wrong with hockey culture IMO.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I mean, I could see teams trading away Hamilton because he insists on being called "Dougie" while also being a grown ass man, but for going to museums and not partying in Vegas? I, for one, can relate to him on that score.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The point is moot now, but I wonder how high they were willing to trade up to get him and what else would have been involved aside from the obvious #10. No wonder Chiarelli was dropping f bombs on live TV...could not contain the excitement lol.

I really like Bouchard's potential and what he brings. In a few years he could very well be viewed as the steal of this draft. My opinion isn't far off of Next To The Moon's assessment. I don't think he'll be viewed as the top ranked prospect to come from this draft, but could be top 4. The reason I say that is now that we have an assistant coach in Yawney who knows how to handle and develop young prospects, Bouchard will blossom under his tutelage.

I feel like we stole both Bouchard and Mcleod. Mcleod was supposed to go 22nd and Bouchard top 6

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yeah I can see Dougie being the type of guy who has many leather bound books and a place that smells of rich mahogany.

I guess his neck didn't have enough red in it for Calgary's liking.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I feel like we stole both Bouchard and Mcleod. Mcleod was supposed to go 22nd and Bouchard top 6

Yep, solid point as well about Mcleod. Since his favorite team is the Oilers and he idolized Smyth, I imagine being drafted by the team he favors will give him some extra incentive to work on and get better in the areas he needs to work on.

He could be another steal for sure.

Reactions: KYams17

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It sounds that two teams have sent him on his way - literally - for being too cultured and enjoying spending time alone.

GM’s are idiots.

I am just guessing here but I think its more about team building and a player being supportive of those endeavors.
I would guess that there is probably more to this story but who knows for sure.

Reactions: Night Witch

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Not much we can do with the cap situation.
Pray that our defence and goaltending rebounds, at this point is all we can hope for.
Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson should all be noticeably better this season. Hopefully Koskinen's motivation to stay in NA (1 year deal) and Talbot being a year from UFA makes for a terrific goal-tending duo.

Coaching should mean special teams rise to at worst - average

Just sign a legit top6 forward at a fair rate and roll with what we have. Ideally Vanek @ a max deal of 3x3, ideally closer to 2x2.5

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Vanek - Draisaitl - Pulju
Lucic - Strome - Aberg
Caggiula - Khaira - Kassian

I dont like this much uncertainty but I do feel better about this season as a bubble team vs. last season. To me it was pretty clear we werent making the playoffs again with all the holes we had in our roster.

Let Bear, Jones, Marody, Benson all marinate in the AHL while Bouchard lights it up in the O and for Canada at the WJC
Will Yammo have to play in the WHL again? And is he eligible for the WJC again? He will be 20 when the tournament starts.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
just a reminder

edmonton_oilers.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $68,596,166

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $10,903,834

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $50,702,828
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
ROSTER SIZE: 18/23
CONTRACTS: 38/50
RESERVE LIST: 60/90

contracts and reserve lists are two thing to think about as they can get taken up very quickly

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
18 year old Euro in his first year of draft eligibility? I could be wrong--but I believe it is only after not being drafted two years in a row we can bring them over
For a sec there I thought he was passed over last year and this year draft. That's why I thought he could be an invite to the camp

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
just a reminder

edmonton_oilers.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg

contracts and reserve lists are two thing to think about as they can get taken up very quickly

+1 mill for burying Montoya
- 4 mill for Nurse
- 3 mill for Strome
- 0.925 for Yamamoto or comparable forward
- 0.725 for Bear of comparable 7th D-Man

= 3.25 mill left and you still have 1 forward spot to fill.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chiarelli needs to sign Maroon. If he can bring back Maroon on top of having acquired Marody, then that trade was a win. (Marody is going to surprise.)

If Looch is staying then I'd look elsewhere. Maroon and Looch = too slow and both kind of fill the same role albeit Maroon has done a better job recently. My hope is that Milan did ask for a trade and Chia explored it and told him that we'd have to move out quality to take crap back so he in turn tells Looch that you can't get your trade because you played like ****. Want the critics to quiet down? Play better. Want to be moved? Again, play better. Hopefully this motivates Looch to get his game back to where it needs to be.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
just a reminder

edmonton_oilers.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg

It's a damn good thing that we bought out Gryba.,,,,,,,

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
just a reminder

edmonton_oilers.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg

Cap space rises to $11,928,834 once most of Montoya's contract gets buried.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I hope they stay away from Davidson.

Great dude and great story, but I think they've given him enough chances to see he isn't near the same guy he was in 2016.

Have to think there's better options for a #7D out there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Cap space is a little higher because Montoya is still on the roster. It rises to $11,928,834 once most of his contract gets buried.

We have about $3 mill in cap space, some of that should be reserved for potential performance bonuses too.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I would be calling SJ about Meier. Could Jones and a 1st next year get it done. They have an excess of top 9 wingers and are looking to add D. Imo Meier is a perfect fit next to Mcnuge. Accurate and heavy shot, big body that works hard, can skate well, high iq, good 2 way game. Perfect finisher for that line.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Its funny in a way. The bruins traded Seguin, because he partied too much, and traded Hamilton because he partied too little? God, organizations are so stupid. Who the **** goes to moxies, anyways?
Bruins traded Hamilton cause he was apparently despised in the room and didn't want to pay him big money, the implication being he was one dimensional. I don't think not partying gets you despised, I mean all teams have atleast a few veterans who are married and a bit of home-bodies, preferring to spend any down time with family over the boys, having a loner should just create ambivalence towards him, not disdain, I think there might be a bit more to the story which might start getting aired in a week or two from now.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Just thinking ahead, but if Bouchard did make the team and played this season and next, that eliminates his expansion draft ineligibility for the projected Seattle expansion draft in two offseasons.

As it stands, I could see us losing a Benning or a Bear to Seattle expansion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just thinking ahead, but if Bouchard did make the team and played this season and next, that eliminates his expansion draft ineligibility for the projected Seattle expansion draft in two offseasons.

As it stands, I could see us losing a Benning or a Bear to Seattle expansion.

It would be monumentally stupid to force Bouchard onto the team next year. Don't do it Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad