Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Free Agency Interview Period Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Now that the draft is over, what storylines are we chasing into July 1st?

- Justin Faulk's NTC kicks in July 1st, so a move beforehand perhaps. Friedman said we weren't really interested in acquiring Faulk, but perhaps things have changed with drafting Bouchard and possibly needing for a shorter term stop gap.

- Lucic monetary bonus to be paid July 1st, does that make him anymore attractive afterwards?

- Apparently Patty Maroon was in Edmonton moving his stuff out of his house.

- Slepyshev completely gone? Possible we're just retaining his rights, but don't think there's been an official announcement about him bolting. Maybe keeping his options open incase we can find someone later this summer to take him?

- The 630CHED crew mentioned in passing banter that Brandon Davidson wants a third stint with Edmonton.

- Past weekend was alot of Parayko smoke. Stauffer was speculating strongly that Nurse would have been involved. St. Louis is still said to be looking to do something to improve this offense. Didn't think anything would come of it, but Parayko seems kind of destined to don Oilers silks at some point in his career.

- Speaking of Parayko, he remains high (#14) on TSN's Trade Bait List.

- Howabout some tweets about John Carlson and all the money he's going to get. He has entered the interview period:

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I guess if Maroon is moving some stuff he's not coming back.

I wouldn't be shocked or disappointed if the Oilers don't do anything significant on day 1 of FA.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I hope the team can repair their relationship with Slepshev. Hes cheap and still has some potential. The Oilers need more players like him with their cap situation. Work with him and try to put him in a better position to succeed.

Reactions: Aerchon

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'd like to take a look a Green until Bouchard is ready.

And of course we need at least a couple of wingers. Neal, maroon, grabner, perron, etc. Lots of options.

And, if we're dreaming, Drai+ something small for Karlsson with an extension of course. And then a C like Bozak as a replacement.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Parayko is either going for W.Nylander or ROR. Don't see us having the pieces for him.

Ryan Ellis I believe could be had for less

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Faulk would be perfect for 2years before Bouchard can takeover. Too bad we are slim on assets for any trade to be made.

If Davidson has an interest to play back in Edm, I say he be a solid 6-7th D man to fill out our D core. Preferably 1 year but 2 years be okay too depending on contract. Looking at his previous dollars it maybe 1.5-1.8M (giving it 10% raise).

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Faulk would be perfect for 2years before Bouchard can takeover. Too bad we are slim on assets for any trade to be made.

If Davidson has an interest to play back in Edm, I say he be a solid 6-7th D man to fill out our D core. Preferably 1 year but 2 years be okay too depending on contract. Looking at his previous dollars it maybe 1.5-1.8M (giving it 10% raise).
Faulk is junk he would hurt the team not help them , Can't see peoples obsession with the worst defender in the league

Last edited:

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
I'd like to take a look a Green until Bouchard is ready.

Green would likely cost +6M on multi-year deal to sign in edm. Best to spend the thin dollars on 1-2 depth wingers and ride out current D core for this season. Sekera and Russell can potentially be moved the following off-season which I believe will be the plan. Or else a larger contract in on D means either Nurse or Klefbom out.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Faulk is junk whe would hurt the team not help them , Can't see peoples obsession with the worst defender in the league
Sekera-Faulk would be a solid pairing which I believe they were in Carolina. Faulk kept getting pushed up a spot where he shouldn't be much like Shultz was and crumbled. Under certain minutes and usage he can be quite effective.

Reactions: MisterD

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Considering the price Calgary paid for Hanifin/Lindholm, I cringe at the thought of the asking price for Faulk.

Faulk asking price is going to be a lot lower than Hanifin's. Hanifin is a 21 year old with 5 years of RFA status and Faulk is two seasons from UFA. Hanifin still has upside, Faulk is a known quantity.

I think maybe Faulk can be done for the first round pick next year, depending on how bad they want to move on, but the Oilers would have to find a defenseman a new home and unless they can get Kris Russell or Andrej Sekera out, I don't think it's worth losing Klefbom or Nurse.

Reactions: oil85

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think they should just stick with:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard

for the future. Try to move on from Sekera and Russell, if the deal makes sense. If you cant do it, do it next year when their nmc expire.

Bouchard may not be ready for a year or two but I dont think we need to mortgage the future for RD now. Get a stop gap for 1-2 years, without giving up a ton of assets for it.

I dont see the point of trading a Klefbom or something for a Faulk at this point. Makes no sense to me. Just keep Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse and move on.

I dont think the Oilers are in a real bad spot here. They have good pieces, they just need to improve their depth.

I'd rather them focus on their forwards to be honest. Get some good cheap two way guys, some pk guys, glue guys and some veterans who make a positive impact.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Sekera-Faulk would be a solid pairing which I believe they were in Carolina. Faulk kept getting pushed up a spot where he shouldn't be much like Shultz was and crumbled. Under certain minutes and usage he can be quite effective.
Go look at all Canes goes against last 7 years with Faulk on ice then tell me you're still interested , he is complete garbage defensively , he has been rumored on block for 2 years now , you want to know why he has not been traded , pro scouts don't like him and warn the GM's about his lack of defensive ability and offers for him are weak .

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Go look at all Canes goes against last 7 years with Faulk on ice then tell me you're still interested , he is complete garbage defensively , he has been rumored on block for 2 years now , you want to know why he has not been traded , pro scouts don't like him and warn the GM's about his lack of defensive ability and offers for him are weak .

Supply and demand. If his trade value is low enough he can be had for a draft pick. Sometimes all it takes is a new scenery like Schultz starting off sheltered minutes to flourish.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Sign Green for a year or two. Maybe James Neal. Don't really need to make any major splash. Obviously if you can get Carlson you think about that, but I doubt it. Small signings and get some depth pieces who can skate and think the game.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Brandon Hickey is spurning the Coyotes. I'd dig it if they could flip a '19 or '20 7th rounder for his rights. Local guy, excellent skater and puck-mover. Could eventually develop into a Sekera replacement.
T.J Tynan is another guy I'd love to grab this off-season. Great year in the A, could potentially boom in a Marchessault-esque fashion. Could probably be had for pretty cheap, before he becomes yet another Vegas gem. Worst case scenario he helps Bako out a bunch.
One of Vermette/Matthias or Letestu as our fourth line center would be groovy until Rasanen is ready.
Now might be a good chance to get Nick Ritchie. Underwhelming RFA, potential Maroon replacement. His brother would be a great add too. A Ritchie-Strome-Ritchie combo would be a heck of a third line.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I'm listening to the 31 Thoughts Podcast this morning and they're reviewing the Draft.

Kypreos: "The Edmonton Oilers, as early as [Friday] morning, came close to trading up, so they could secure Evan Bouchard"

Then Kypreos and Cosentino just start gushing: ;)

"steal him at 10"

"are thrilled, are doing backflips"

"don't know if joking around, but maybe he can play in October"

"gift from hockey gods"

"late birthday, he's got a chance to play next year"

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Faulk asking price is going to be a lot lower than Hanifin's. Hanifin is a 21 year old with 5 years of RFA status and Faulk is two seasons from UFA. Hanifin still has upside, Faulk is a known quantity.

I think maybe Faulk can be done for the first round pick next year, depending on how bad they want to move on, but the Oilers would have to find a defenseman a new home and unless they can get Kris Russell or Andrej Sekera out, I don't think it's worth losing Klefbom or Nurse.
having that D logjam long term is no good, but for this upcoming season it is perfect imo. Let those Dmen fight it out for spots even if it means that someone expensive is in the press box sometimes. We'd have some crazy depth, which would keep our top guys fresh, and cover us in case of injuries. Starting next offseason it becomes an unaffordable luxury, but that's also when the NTCs for Russell and Sekera loosen up.

I also agree about the price of Faulk.

I don't get the argument that our young guys should develop and so we shouldn't do anything rash like get someone like Green or Faulk, but the way I see it is that getting that offensive minded veteran will help the development of our young offensive minded Dmen. Maybe Benning's big problem is that he's learning how to be a OFD from Sekera and Klefbom. Plus we now have Bear and Bouchard.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Brandon Hickey is spurning the Coyotes. I'd dig it if they could flip a '19 or '20 7th rounder for his rights. Local guy, excellent skater and puck-mover. Could eventually develop into a Sekera replacement.
T.J Tynan is another guy I'd love to grab this off-season. Great year in the A, could potentially boom in a Marchessault-esque fashion. Could probably be had for pretty cheap, before he becomes yet another Vegas gem. Worst case scenario he helps Bako out a bunch.
One of Vermette/Matthias or Letestu as our fourth line center would be groovy until Rasanen is ready.
Now might be a good chance to get Nick Ritchie. Underwhelming RFA, potential Maroon replacement. His brother would be a great add too. A Ritchie-Strome-Ritchie combo would be a heck of a third line.

Brandon Hickey was dealt to Buffalo just a little while ago, don't know if he's going to sign with them though.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Sign Green for a year or two. Maybe James Neal. Don't really need to make any major splash. Obviously if you can get Carlson you think about that, but I doubt it. Small signings and get some depth pieces who can skate and think the game.

I don't see Neal signing north of the border for any team. Carlson should easily resign with the capitals after the Orpik move.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If Sekera would waive his NMC I'd look to deal him for some forward depth and sign Mike Green for 1-2 years. NJ might make sense as their defense is looking fairly weak while they have a bunch of speedy forwards who could help our bottom 6 and PK. Blake Coleman or Miles Wood would fit the bill. We don't need to sell the farm for an offensive RHD now that we have Bouchard.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the other Ritchie might be a better target from Dallas. He's a right shot winger and he's facing the threat of fewer minutes with the return of Val Nichushkin. Brett Ritchie and Ryan Strome were a force in Niagara in their final seasons. And I highly doubt the cost will be high. Maybe they'd take Anton Slepyshev straight up since they'd retain his rights if he ships off to Russia and they'd clear Ritchie's entire cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad