Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Free Agency Interview Period Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't see Neal signing north of the border for any team. Carlson should easily resign with the capitals after the Orpik move.

Depends if he’s offered a huge deal Washington won’t match. But he has solid roots in Washington so I think he stays. I think him and Tavares are just using this as leverage to hammer their home teams for as much as they can.

I think we might see more of this in the future where stars go to their UFA period and not sign extensions in their last year. See Panarin as an example and I think we will see the same with Karlsson no matter who he plays with next year.

All I know is McDavids and Draisatls deals will look pretty good in 3years.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think the other Ritchie might be a better target from Dallas. He's a right shot winger and he's facing the threat of fewer minutes with the return of Val Nichushkin. Brett Ritchie and Ryan Strome were a force in Niagara in their final seasons. And I highly doubt the cost will be high. Maybe they'd take Anton Slepyshev straight up since they'd retain his rights if he ships off to Russia and they'd clear Ritchie's entire cap.

We definitely need to find a couple of forwards who are under the radar and undervalued in their organization. I like this idea for a 3rd line RW if Strome has a past connection with him.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Chiarelli needs to sign Maroon. If he can bring back Maroon on top of having acquired Marody, then that trade was a win. (Marody is going to surprise.)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
We definitely need to find a couple of forwards who are under the radar and undervalued in their organization. I like this idea for a 3rd line RW if Strome has a past connection with him.

names from hat;

Hansen (should be cheap? is he done?)
Leivo
Malgin
Heinen/Senyshyn (both?)
Girgensons
Ritchie (Brett)
Neiderreiter
Armia

Also wonder if guys like Laleggia and Russell will get more of a "shot" this year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Completely agree. There are plenty of low cost options out there. Really hoping Chiarelli takes a stab at Petan. I also wouldn't ignore the possibility of guys like Matthew Peca or Austin Czarnik making an impact here if given the opportunity as a FA signing. With our cap situation this summer, moneypuck signings are how we're going to have to fill out the organizational depth.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I didn't really want to get in the free agent market anyways.

Problem is I do want to get into the trade market and the Oilers don't have enough good trade assets to fill their many holes - plus cap space.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I think they should just stick with:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard

for the future. Try to move on from Sekera and Russell, if the deal makes sense. If you cant do it, do it next year when their nmc expire.

Bouchard may not be ready for a year or two but I dont think we need to mortgage the future for RD now. Get a stop gap for 1-2 years, without giving up a ton of assets for it.

I dont see the point of trading a Klefbom or something for a Faulk at this point. Makes no sense to me. Just keep Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse and move on.

I dont think the Oilers are in a real bad spot here. They have good pieces, they just need to improve their depth.

I'd rather them focus on their forwards to be honest. Get some good cheap two way guys, some pk guys, glue guys and some veterans who make a positive impact.

Agreed. Run something like,
Klefbomb/Larsson

Whoever is more well suited to tougher assignments out of
Sekera/Russell
Nurse/Benning

Flip Montoya for a late pick when another team's goalie goes down. See about flipping Sekera at the deadline. If we COULD trade Sekera for Faulk that's ideal imo (I'd even throw in Wells or a 3rd). He provides cover at 2RD for a couple years and can QB the PP.

Sign Davidson, run him as 7D, let Lowe be the mentor figure in Bakersfield. Rumblings that Davidson wants to come back, I wouldn't mind it personally.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm listening to the 31 Thoughts Podcast this morning and they're reviewing the Draft.

Kypreos: "The Edmonton Oilers, as early as [Friday] morning, came close to trading up, so they could secure Evan Bouchard"

Then Kypreos and Cosentino just start gushing: ;)

"steal him at 10"

"are thrilled, are doing backflips"

"don't know if joking around, but maybe he can play in October"

"gift from hockey gods"

"late birthday, he's got a chance to play next year"

The point is moot now, but I wonder how high they were willing to trade up to get him and what else would have been involved aside from the obvious #10. No wonder Chiarelli was dropping f bombs on live TV...could not contain the excitement lol.

I really like Bouchard's potential and what he brings. In a few years he could very well be viewed as the steal of this draft. My opinion isn't far off of Next To The Moon's assessment. I don't think he'll be viewed as the top ranked prospect to come from this draft, but could be top 4. The reason I say that is now that we have an assistant coach in Yawney who knows how to handle and develop young prospects, Bouchard will blossom under his tutelage.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Dallas has around 20M in cap space with no major names to sign. They also have Spezza with a year left who will give them more relief next summer. Would something around Lucic and Sekera for Ritchie, Hanzal, and Honka work? That would free up another 4-5M for the Oilers to add another winger or two in UFA. Hanzal will likely spend half the season on IR, and we may have to buy out the last year of his deal, but he still can fill a role.

RNH McDavid ???
??? Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Caggiula Strome Ritchie
Khaira Hanzal Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russell Honka/Bouchard/Bear

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We need a middle 6 winger though

Need. No. Would be nice. Sure.

People have it in thier heads that the top 6 needs 6 star offensive dynamo's. Just not reality in today's NHL or ever really.

We have little or no cap space. McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge can and have to carry thier line mates to some extent. McDavid is paid like a full second line all by himself.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

People have it in thier heads that the top 6 needs 6 star offensive dynamo's. Just not reality in today's NHL or ever really.

We have little or no cap space. McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge can and have to carry thier line mates to some extent. McDavid is paid like a full second line all by himself.
Drafting Bouchard kind of changes things. Getting a legit 2LW for Drai is more of a pressing need. Teams are going to have problems trying to stop 2 duos in RNH-McDavid and X-Drai

Reactions: CycloneSweep

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dallas has around 20M in cap space with no major names to sign. They also have Spezza with a year left who will give them more relief next summer. Would something around Lucic and Sekera for Ritchie, Hanzal, and Honka work? That would free up another 4-5M for the Oilers to add another winger or two in UFA. Hanzal will likely spend half the season on IR, and we may have to buy out the last year of his deal, but he still can fill a role.

RNH McDavid ???
??? Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Caggiula Strome Ritchie
Khaira Hanzal Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russell Honka/Bouchard/Bear
They'd be taking on too much cap there for next season, which is the Seguin extension.

Something smaller, like Lucic, Jones and Montoya for Hanzal and Ritchie might work for them though.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Davidson is a better no.7 D option than 80% of what will be available on July 1. Trade a late pick (if the Isles go for it) and sign him for 2 years at 1m AAV. Good, cheap player.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I agree to an extent, but then I look at a team like the Caps, who have Ovi, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Oshie all in the top 6 as offensive dynamos, and then Vrana, Burakovsky, and Wilson, all of whom are far better at this point than Lucic, Rattie, Aberg, etc. We need a winger for Drai, so we can have McDavid-Nuge and Drai-X, similar to Ovi-Kuzya and Backstrom-Oshie. I think Yamamoto or Puljujarvi will be that winger soon enough though.

Reactions: Aerchon

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I was looking at #7 defenseman thinking a right handed shot would be a better fit.. there's maybe 3 names tops on the UFA list for right handed guys. Maybe a Christian Folin or Jordan Schmaltz (RFA if STL decides to move on for pick). Seems like a LH guy like Davidson might make sense. Although I think Brandon should probably move on from Edmonton. If Bouchard and Bear make noise in camp he's not going to be here, I'm sure there are better options for his career elsewhere.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
They'd be taking on too much cap there for next season, which is the Seguin extension.

Something smaller, like Lucic, Jones and Montoya for Hanzal and Ritchie might work for them though.

They do have over 12M off the books at the same time with Spezza and Methot though. I can't see them bringing back either player as Spezza will be 36 and Methot 34 and breaking down. They need to add a defenseman this summer. Their depth chart is pretty ugly besides Klingberg. They might be one of the only teams that we could dump some cap on right now.

Good call on Montoya, the Stars could use a backup.

Maybe that Dallas deal you posted and then Sekera to NJ for Miles Wood or Blake Coleman would work too. Honka doesn't really do much for us anyways besides add to the bottom pair log jam.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
RNH - McDavid - Rattie/Aberg
Neal - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Matthias - Kassian

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we didn't have Lucic and could actually make our forward lines proper?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Supply and demand. If his trade value is low enough he can be had for a draft pick. Sometimes all it takes is a new scenery like Schultz starting off sheltered minutes to flourish.
He has been in the league 7 year unlike Schultz there is no changing him lol @ people trying to reason why we should aquire garbage at a high cost and salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad