Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Free Agency Interview Period Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They do have over 12M off the books at the same time with Spezza and Methot though. I can't see them bringing back either player as Spezza will be 36 and Methot 34 and breaking down. They need to add a defenseman this summer. Their depth chart is pretty ugly besides Klingberg. They might be one of the only teams that we could dump some cap on right now.
True, but they also need to fill out their roster as the majority of it needs new deals that year or the one after. Also Sekera would probably fall into the third LD slot one Miro Heiskanen establishes himself there. I'm not sure they'd be too willing to commit to Sekera, especially Bayreuther knocking on the door.

I think Caleb Jones would be an enticing add though as he's still a few years away from pushing for a spot and he's from Arlington, TX. The only worry I have is how Hanzal recoups after the spinal fusion surgery. Because it'd be nice to have him as a fourth line center.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Need. No. Would be nice. Sure.

People have it in thier heads that the top 6 needs 6 star offensive dynamo's. Just not reality in today's NHL or ever really.

We have little or no cap space. McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge can and have to carry thier line mates to some extent. McDavid is paid like a full second line all by himself.

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't expect 6 star players in the top 6, I just expect someone who can put up more points than the likes of cagguila.

Right now we're going into next season expecting RNH and Rattie to continue where they left off, lucic to bounce back, and yammomoto or JP ready to grab a top 6 spot.

Meanwhile the bottom 6 is crap. Khaira and maybe strome being the only ones I'd call a legit bottom 6 NHLer at this point, the rest are just not good enough for top 6 minutes.

That leaves us going into next season with a lot of hopes and wishes, and no capspace.

That's not even including our lack of productive Dmen. We very well might be one of the lowest scoring teams again.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
RNH - McDavid - Rattie/Aberg
Neal - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Matthias - Kassian

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we didn't have Lucic and could actually make our forward lines proper?

Would be nice to give whoever is 2C a good winger to work with, instead of being given a boat anchor by default.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I want the Oilers to release their development camp roster, hoping to see some good invites.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
- The 630CHED crew mentioned in passing banter that Brandon Davidson wants a third stint with Edmonton.
His qualifying offer is $1.55M. The Islanders currently have a lot of cap space but maybe that will be too much for a 6/7 dman considering the Tavares situation and other FAs they have to sign or re-sign.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I would rather play Bouchard if he shows well at camp than trade for Faulk. Faulk sucks at defense, probably the same as a kid playing over his head a little.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
so our D next year is looking like

Klef Larsson
Sekera Nurse
Russel Benning
Bear

Why are people suggesting we sign another bottom pairing Dman? especially with
Bouchard having a shot to make the team

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't expect 6 star players in the top 6, I just expect someone who can put up more points than the likes of cagguila.

Right now we're going into next season expecting RNH and Rattie to continue where they left off, lucic to bounce back, and yammomoto or JP ready to grab a top 6 spot.

Meanwhile the bottom 6 is crap. Khaira and maybe strome being the only ones I'd call a legit bottom 6 NHLer at this point, the rest are just not good enough for top 6 minutes.

That leaves us going into next season with a lot of hopes and wishes, and no capspace.

That's not even including our lack of productive Dmen. We very well might be one of the lowest scoring teams again.

RNH McDavid Rattie
Lucic Leon Yama?
Kharia Strome Jessie
Caguillia XXX Kassian

Aberg?

None of our defense is great but all of our defense as a unit isn't as bad as you are thinking.

All of them putting up 20 to 30 points.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
so our D next year is looking like

Klef Larsson
Sekera Nurse
Russel Benning
Bear

Why are people suggesting we sign another bottom pairing Dman? especially with
Bouchard having a shot to make the team
Cause Bear shouldn't be penciled in as the 7th D, he's our 2nd best D prospect, he's either a full-time NHL regular or playing a significant role on the AHL team.

Reactions: OilDrop37

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I see the forward roster more like:

RNH - McDavid - JP
XXX - Draisaitl - Yama?
Lucic - Strome - XXX
Cagguila - Khaira - Kassian
EX: Aberg, Rattie

1) What will JP be like next year?
2) Is Yamamoto ready? I personally think its wrong to pencil him in. But with their cap situation and unless something drastically changes this offseason, I am pretty sure he will be on the roster.
3) I think Draisaitl needs an actual NHL player winger who can play in the top 6. I dont think Lucic is this guy. How do you fill this spot with their current cap?
4) I just dont like penciling Rattie into RW1 in the offseason though its possible. Hopefully Rattie has extra motivation this offseason to improve any way he can knowing he has a chance of a lifetime.
5) Khaira could move up to 3LW. But then what do you do with Lucic? I dont like Lucic on the second line.
6) Maybe Aberg has a great offseason and fills the RW3 slot.
7) Is Slepshev coming back?
8) Any chance someone surprises in camp? Marody, Benson, etc ?

I think the team likely needs a LW, RW and a C at a minimum.

If JP and Yama have great years, the Oilers forwards are pretty good. But if they dont have great years, than theres a real lack of depth here.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Hockey culture can be so ****ing stupid.

If you don’t like him because his defensive game has holes, by all means deal him but he’s an elite offensive defenceman. If two teams now have shipped him out because he’s more of a loner and likes museums... I have no words.

Its funny in a way. The bruins traded Seguin, because he partied too much, and traded Hamilton because he partied too little? God, organizations are so stupid. Who the f*** goes to moxies, anyways?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its funny in a way. The bruins traded Seguin, because he partied too much, and traded Hamilton because he partied too little? God, organizations are so stupid. Who the **** goes to moxies, anyways?
Single dudes so they can stare at the waitresses.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Need. No. Would be nice. Sure.

People have it in thier heads that the top 6 needs 6 star offensive dynamo's. Just not reality in today's NHL or ever really.

We have little or no cap space. McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge can and have to carry thier line mates to some extent. McDavid is paid like a full second line all by himself.
No one is saying we need all star wingers. We are saying we need to give Draisaitl an actual skilled guy to feed off. McDavid has RNH, Drai needs someone. Most teams have 2 good guys in each top 6 line so they can carry a lesser guy. Drai has been attempting to carry 2 guys all of last year and his game suffered for it. I'd argue a 3 mill middle 9 vet winger with some skill would do wonders for Draisaitl. If not we will probably see the Drai that drove people nuts where it looked like he didnt care. Pulju could he that guy but he isnt there yet so we need a guy for 1-2 years who can hold the fort. Lucic could be good but we have zero idea.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Cause Bear shouldn't be penciled in as the 7th D, he's our 2nd best D prospect, he's either a full-time NHL regular or playing a significant role on the AHL team.

Bear shouldn't be a full time NHLer unless he shows he can handle it. Switch him with benning whenever you're looking for offense, until a Dman starts stinking the place up, then give bear a shot. Unless he blows us away in camp, 7D or AHL is where i want him. A few okay games at the end of last year is not something I'm willing to bet on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad