TSN: Rumours of Kadri and Gardiner as trade bait won't go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Whether it's Wilson's nasty habits, Eakins fat comments, to RC's tough love. Naz is still a work in progress as is Gardiner.

Rielly's comments are tame in comparison, infact I have not heard one critical comment of him from the organization. It's quite a contrast.

Young players are going to have wrinkles in their games. They are going to have to learn the hard way how to iron those out. That does not mean they are too stubborn or unwilling to change. Rounding out your game is a gradual process. This is not something that is centralized to the Leafs youth. You see it all across the league.

Also, from Eakins:

“Two years ago, I said we need this young man to have a better commitment to not turning over pucks, recognizing danger. And he got way better at that,” said Eakins. “Last year, I said we need this guy to make a bigger commitment to the D-zone coverage. And he did. He got better.

“This year, I said he needs a better commitment to the way he eats, and people went crazy.”

That same season, Kadri went 0.96ppg in the AHL and 0.92ppg in the NHL. As a total fatso, according to those who bookmarked that quote for use in their future witch hunt.

Rielly started the season as 19-year-old rookie. He gets a pass based on his age and inexperience alone. Luke Schenn took no heat during his first year as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Young players are going to have wrinkles in their games. They are going to have to learn the hard way how to iron those out. That does not mean they are too stubborn or unwilling to change. Rounding out your game is a gradual process. This is not something that is centralized to the Leafs youth. You see it all across the league.

Also, from Eakins:

“Two years ago, I said we need this young man to have a better commitment to not turning over pucks, recognizing danger. And he got way better at that,†said Eakins. “Last year, I said we need this guy to make a bigger commitment to the D-zone coverage. And he did. He got better.

“This year, I said he needs a better commitment to the way he eats, and people went crazy.â€

That same season, Kadri went 0.96ppg in the AHL and 0.92ppg in the NHL. As a total fatso, according to those who bookmarked that quote for use in their future witch hunt.

Rielly started the season as 19-year-old rookie. He gets a pass based on his age and inexperience alone. Luke Schenn took no heat during his first year as well.

It's not a coincidence these comments are completely forgotten and unused...

It doesn't fit the agenda.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The Eakins comments are hilariously twisted. When a coach tell a young player he must show more commitment in certain areas it is not the same as the young player lacks commitment per se, he perhaps just needs to direct it to the areas he is lacking in, hence the coaches comments. Some people call it development others call it being called out.

Kadri is the most skilled playmaker we have in the system and it would be madness to get rid of him.

Oh and he can score to. And not just one type of goals, he score all kinds. Ugly, pretty, slap shots, snap shots, wrist shots, tap ins. That is a pretty good ability to have. Let him have a set line with a defensive winger and a winger more equal him in terms of skills (Nylander... :naughty: ) and he will light it up.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
kadri and gardiner are probably our two most skilled guys (Kessel obviously has a lot of skill too, but it's mostly his speed and shot).

i think the team is moving in the wrong direction if we get rid of these guys... we should be looking for players who can complement these guys.

just like how we found bozak to play with kessel... we need to get gardiner a good defensive partner... and then let them gel as a first or second pairing over a few seasons. same with kadri... we need to get him a winger or two that will really compliement his game. when frattin was playing with kadri, those two were awesome! i'm thinking that maybe Lievo will be good with Kadri.

i think both kadri and gardiner had pretty good seasons anyways... but i think with a better coach/system and with better linemates i think these two players can really become something special and become the core of the team (along with kessel and bernier).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The Eakins comments are hilariously twisted. When a coach tell a young player he must show more commitment in certain areas it is not the same as the young player lacks commitment per se, he perhaps just needs to direct it to the areas he is lacking in, hence the coaches comments. Some people call it development others call it being called out.

Kadri is the most skilled playmaker we have in the system and it would be madness to get rid of him.

Oh and he can score to. And not just one type of goals, he score all kinds. Ugly, pretty, slap shots, snap shots, wrist shots, tap ins. That is a pretty good ability to have. Let him have a set line with a defensive winger and a winger more equal him in terms of skills (Nylander... :naughty: ) and he will light it up.

That video reminds me how much I liked C Mac.....and how many different line mates Kadri has played with.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't understand - in a league that is all about making that first critical pass - people are so sure fired fast to get rid of quality PMDs. :shakehead

defense may win championships, but i'd like my defense to be mobile and just as lethal as my forwards, thank you very much.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Was looking through My NHL Trade Rumors and saw this - not sure the credibility - either way, putting that aside, what are the overall thoughts:

Howard Berger of Berger Bytes: It is well known that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is listening to offers for the 1st overall pick in this year’s draft. Two people who are employed by NHL team have mentioned this potential deal:

Toronto would send Dion Phaneuf, Nazem Kadri and the 8th overall pick to Florida for Ed Jovanovski and 1st overall pick. The Maple Leafs would use the 1st overall pick to select Aaron Ekblad.

http://www.bergerbytes.ca/leafs-florida-blockbuster/

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Was looking through My NHL Trade Rumors and saw this - not sure the credibility - either way, putting that aside, what are the overall thoughts:

Howard Berger of Berger Bytes: It is well known that Panthers GM Dale Tallon is listening to offers for the 1st overall pick in this year’s draft. Two people who are employed by NHL team have mentioned this potential deal:

Toronto would send Dion Phaneuf, Nazem Kadri and the 8th overall pick to Florida for Ed Jovanovski and 1st overall pick. The Maple Leafs would use the 1st overall pick to select Aaron Ekblad.

Yeah saw that posted as well. If Nonis does this trade, he loses his job. Massive overpayment anyone?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

horrible trade for us... hope we don't do it.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

I'd start immediately organizing a pitchfork and torch rally if this is true. Jovocrap is terrible at this point in his career and Ekblad isn't worth giving up Kadri + Phaneuf + Ehlers/Nylander for.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I don't understand - in a league that is all about making that first critical pass - people are so sure fired fast to get rid of quality PMDs. :shakehead

defense may win championships, but i'd like my defense to be mobile and just as lethal as my forwards, thank you very much.

Not to mention that a mobile defense is becoming more and more prevalent in today's game.

But as we all know Dinosaur-head Randy prefers his "gritty and physical" D-men instead :shakehead:shakehead

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd start immediately organizing a pitchfork and torch rally if this is true. Jovocrap is terrible at this point in his career and Ekblad isn't worth giving up Kadri + Phaneuf + Ehlers/Nylander for.

It was reported that Florida wanted a top 4 D in exchange for the 1st overall if they are to move down.
Look at the teams behind Florida:
Buffalo: Myers? But why trade Myers to move 1 spot?
Edmonton: No.
Calgary: Gio. Won't happen.
NYI: No.
Vancouver: Bieska,Edler. (Play with Luongo again?)
Carolina: No.
Toronto: Phaneuf
There's the top 8 choices.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It was reported that Florida wanted a top 4 D in exchange for the 1st overall if they are to move down.
Look at the teams behind Florida:
Buffalo: Myers? But why trade Myers to move 1 spot?
Edmonton: No.
Calgary: Gio. Won't happen.
NYI: No.
Vancouver: Bieska,Edler. (Play with Luongo again?)
Carolina: No.
Toronto: Phaneuf
There's the top 8 choices.

Top 4 defender doesn't have to mean Gio or Phaneuf.

4th. overall and #3/#4 defender
versus
8th. overall and #2/#3 defender
?

Brodie and #4 > Gardiner and #8.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Phaneuf + Signed Bolland + 8 for Ed Jovanovski + 1 (Ekblad)

Rielly - Ekblad..... *drools*

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Top 4 defender doesn't have to mean Gio or Phaneuf.

4th. overall and #3/#4 defender
versus
8th. overall and #2/#3 defender
?

Brodie and #4 > Gardiner and #8.
Even a #2 defenceman ( Phaneuf is a #1) would be foolish to be moved with the 8th overall. It's still a solid pick. Instead, I see the 8th overall with Franson, Gardiner, or even Gunnarsson and D prospect for top pick.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Phaneuf + Signed Bolland + 8 for Ed Jovanovski + 1 (Ekblad)

Rielly - Ekblad..... *drools*

Ekblad might not even become as good as Phaneuf.

I think draft hype makes some posters here go coocoo.

Nonis will only do a deal that noticably makes us better or is worth it.

I.E Franson+Percy+8th for the 4th is a good deal as it's spare parts for an upgrade in the Centre position(bennett or draisaitl etc.)

Dion+Bolland loses us a top pairing D-man+great 3rd line C+ an already good pick for a potential top pairing D-man.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ekblad might not even become as good as Phaneuf.

I think draft hype makes some posters here go coocoo.

Nonis will only do a deal that noticably makes us better or is worth it.

I.E Franson+Percy+8th for the 4th is a good deal as it's spare parts for an upgrade in the Centre position(bennett or draisaitl etc.)

Dion+Bolland loses us a top pairing D-man+great 3rd line C+ an already good pick for a potential top pairing D-man.

I more said that deal because it's around the supposed deal. I really don't care about the deal

Rielly - Ekblad..... *Drools More*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad