TSN: Rumours of Kadri and Gardiner as trade bait won't go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Hasn't gone running? He have refused to speak to the media several times after being being a clown on the ice. He can just not stand up for him self and admit he made a mistake. The Dion way is calling in to a radio show a day or two later and explain that he was "to emotional".

Get rid of him. He is a cancer.

Lol this is the epitome of overexamining something.

That actually seems like something that would speak to a player maturity. Not running his mouth when he knows he is in a place where he'll say things that he'll regret. A leader doesn't just spout whatever he thinks. He's careful with what he says. And then Phaneuf going on teh radio and saying why? He's explaining why. That's not a bad leader.

Some people are incessant. They pick at anything to tear a player down.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
You are not answering my question. Do you think they lied in their interviews about Dion creating trouble?

And follow up question, if he creates trouble in one locker room, is it possible he create trouble in another?
When Aulie gets traded after rumors that he and Dion did not get along. And then Schenn gets traded after rumors that he and Dion did not get along. You start to wonder what the problem with Dion is. And the rumors started before those guys was traded so it is not as if people claim they heard thing afterward. And you can add Versteeg to that group to.

In a way, I think they did, yes. I think they had a personal beef with him and were bias in their comments. I think a guy like Warriner saw a cocky 21 year old and thought he deserves more respect from him. Ditto for Keenan. When you already don't like someone it's easy to skew things into your point of few. People do it all the time.

I think Dion came into the league as a cocky, over-confident young player and it rubbed some players the wrong way. I also think he's a 28 year old man now years removed that has settled down and into a role well enough that one of the most established franchises in hockey history felt they found the right person to handle the role. There was no Captain when he came in and they really didn't need to give it to him. We are now on the third assessment group (Wilson/Burke, Nonis/Carlyle, Shanahan) that has reviewed him and thought he was fine in his role. At any one of those points he could have been removed or traded.

I bolded your rumors because I think you read too much Simmons and Cox. Those are the only reporters putting out conflict articles. This is a media center that stuck a soother in Kadri's mouth and put it on the front page of a newspaper.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Who Keenan loves or dont love is not the question here. It is that Keenan confirmed that Dion Phaneuf did not get along with his teammates in Calgary and was traded by Sutter because of it.

And does a leopard change his spots?

How would Keenan know this? He was fired and released from the organization before Phaneuf was even traded. How could he possible know the situation when he had zero insider knowledge in it?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who Keenan loves or dont love is not the question here. It is that Keenan confirmed that Dion Phaneuf did not get along with his teammates in Calgary and was traded by Sutter because of it.

And does a leopard change his spots?

Yes people change all the time. Which teammates did he not get along with?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
In a way, I think they did, yes. I think they had a personal beef with him and were bias in their comments. I think a guy like Warriner saw a cocky 21 year old and thought he deserves more respect from him. Ditto for Keenan. When you already don't like someone it's easy to skew things into your point of few. People do it all the time.

I think Dion came into the league as a cocky, over-confident young player and it rubbed some players the wrong way. I also think he's a 28 year old man now years removed that has settled down and into a role well enough that one of the most established franchises in hockey history felt they found the right person to handle the role. There was no Captain when he came in and they really didn't need to give it to him. We are now on the third assessment group (Wilson/Burke, Nonis/Carlyle, Shanahan) that has reviewed him and thought he was fine in his role. At any one of those points he could have been removed or traded.

I bolded your rumors because I think you read too much Simmons and Cox. Those are the only reporters putting out conflict articles. This is a media center that stuck a soother in Kadri's mouth and put it on the front page of a newspaper.

While I agree with your reasoning about a young cocky guy etc who now is older and more mature I dont share your view that he is that much of a changed person.

And yes, the coaches likes him, I already said that. Several coaches have said they liked coaching him because he is a player who trains and plays hard (except towards the end of the season). But Shanahan have still not made a move one way or the other. So far he is holding the cards close to his chest not committing in either direction. We will just have to wait and see.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Hasn't gone running? He have refused to speak to the media several times after being being a clown on the ice. He can just not stand up for him self and admit he made a mistake. The Dion way is calling in to a radio show a day or two later and explain that he was "to emotional".

Get rid of him. He is a cancer.

Posts like this are the cancer that haunts this team. Posts like this are why some players hesitate when asked if they want to sign in Toronto. This fanbase has an embarrassing history of running players out of town and it guess some will never learn.

I bet you wanted him to talk when he was still angry. I bet you would have loved to see him stick his foot in his mouth, just like the other vultures looking for the slightest poor choice in words. I guess criticising him for not being able to criticize him will have to due.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jarome Iginla has said there was no issue with Phaneuf several times, yet people still think it's a thing

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
What more confirmation do you need then quotes from a former coach and a former teammate?

Neither player happened to be on the team when Phaneuf was traded, so I'm not sure how they could possibly know that Phaneuf was traded for that reason. Seems more like they speculated to try and become relevant in the media again.

And the issues Warrener pointed out about Phaneuf? Not being a player who focused on the defensive side of the game? They have little to nothing to do with being a distraction, just the very common theme of a younger player needing to grow up. Considering Phaneuf focused heavily on those very same weaknesses post-trade, I'm not sure anything Warrener says has relevance now.

Young players sometimes go through maturity. It happens. It happened with Seguin on Dallas, and it happened with Phaneuf. Doesn't make them a cancer.

You're stretching years old comments to try and tear a player down. It's weak.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What more confirmation do you need then quotes from a former coach and a former teammate?

We can confirm that the Coach compared him to Roenick, Belfour, Chelios and he would have him on his Team anytime.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
It was?

Seemed legit to me. Same people in the background behind Kessel. Does not have to mean it is from the same shift but well done if it is fake. He even managed to make the commentator sound match the clip. Good work. So a Boston fan did this because?

words dont look right to me

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
While I agree with your reasoning about a young cocky guy etc who now is older and more mature I dont share your view that he is that much of a changed person.

And yes, the coaches likes him, I already said that. Several coaches have said they liked coaching him because he is a player who trains and plays hard (except towards the end of the season). But Shanahan have still not made a move one way or the other. So far he is holding the cards close to his chest not committing in either direction. We will just have to wait and see.

So coaches like him, Iggy has said many times that there was no problem (and as one of the players known for leadership, something tells me he should be taken at his word), yet he's a cancer?

You're stretching things a lot to try and call him out as some cancer.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
How would Keenan know this? He was fired and released from the organization before Phaneuf was even traded. How could he possible know the situation when he had zero insider knowledge in it?

Yes people change all the time. Which teammates did he not get along with?

Keenan would know because the problems started while he was there and I guess being the hockey guy he is he knows these things.

And the player it was confirmed he did not get along with was Regehr who wanted Dion to play better defense. And then it was rumors about him and Iginla getting in to a fight but I am willing to write that one off as just a rumor with not much credibility.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
words dont look right to me

He clearly say "You use f**ing maggots" Clearly a fight over the May fishing trip.

I agree however that the video (who I thought/think is legit) does not have to mean anything, even if he told him to shut up. And even that is not clear. He could have said something encoring even like "You take the shot" etc. Who knows. Not to bothered about that either way.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
So coaches like him, Iggy has said many times that there was no problem (and as one of the players known for leadership, something tells me he should be taken at his word), yet he's a cancer?

You're stretching things a lot to try and call him out as some cancer.

Iggy is a dream of a player and a leader. He would never say anything bad about any one.

Number13

May 21, 2007
It was?

Seemed legit to me. Same people in the background behind Kessel. Does not have to mean it is from the same shift but well done if it is fake. He even managed to make the commentator sound match the clip. Good work. So a Boston fan did this because?

I'm almost 100% positive he says "You got a ********** mouth." As if to say Dion was being lippy.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Keenan would know because the problems started while he was there and I guess being the hockey guy he is he knows these things.

And the player it was confirmed he did not get along with was Regehr who wanted Dion to play better defense. And then it was rumors about him and Iginla getting in to a fight but I am willing to write that one off as just a rumor with not much credibility.

This Regehr?

"There were so many rumours, I'm not going to get into all of them, but they were outrageous," said defenceman Robyn Regehr, Phaneuf's on-again, off-again defence partner for several years. "Those types of things were totally scandalous and did nothing good whatsoever. I don't know who started those, but it's really too bad."

Flames captain Jarome Iginla was in front of the cameras once more to deny that he and Phaneuf ever had the knock-down, drag 'em-out fight that Internet speculation suggested was the root cause of Phaneuf's trade out of town.

"It's almost pointless to resay it because I've said it so many times," Iginla said. "I got along great with Dion. We never had any real fight ever. There was horseplay and the whole point of telling that was to say we were buddies and hung out.

"There was never any issue as far as that."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...lgary-return-delayed-by-a-day/article4083240/

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We all know Kessel plays his best hockey when he is pissed off.... why not try and get him pissed off :laugh: (joking... kinda)

Kessel and Dion are good friends, ask either of them and they would say so, that gif/vid was during a 7 game losing streak when no one on that team liked each other. It's a thing that happens in team sports.

Jesus Christ

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ill_remain_captain_says_brendan_shanahan.html

“I don’t know if it (stripping the captaincy) is a solution,†said Shanahan. “I think it’s a cop-out, to a certain degree an easy way out.

“Has it happened on some teams? Yes. Is it something I’m thinking about since I’ve been here? Ultimately this will be a group decision. But I can tell you it’s not something I’ve contemplated. Just the opposite. I want to help enhance the player and leader that Dion is.â€

Lets remember that Shanahan had no ties to Dion or the Leafs prior to taking the team over. This was a fresh face coming in at a time when the fans were angry and ready for anything to change.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Inference and speculation > Clear and direct quotes, apparently.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ill_remain_captain_says_brendan_shanahan.html

Lets remember that Shanahan had no ties to Dion or the Leafs prior to taking the team over. This was a fresh face coming in at a time when the fans were angry and ready for anything to change.

Yep, but people will ignore pretty much anything that contradicts there staunch position of a player because they don't want to hear it.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
It was?

You watch that in 1080p and see that the words don't even match what he's saying.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Keenan isn't exactly the easiest guy to get along with either.

Very stubborn dude when he was in the NHL, hard to get along with, and if you didn't get along with him, you just didn't. Theo Fleury had some pretty nice words to say about him :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad