Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: To buyout, or not to buyout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
IIRC Dadonov's production was in large part due to power play points. He won't supplant McDrai or RNH on the PP here, and the fourth forward is usually the coke machine in front of the net.

49 EV pts/82 game pace in the 3 years.

That's better EV production than anyone not named McDavid or Draisaitl on the Oilers.

Reactions: Cloned

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ullmark is also looking for 6x6. I do like Mrazek. Of all the UFA goalies- he had the highest save % on high danger chances

It's nice that he (or more likely his agent leaking that) wants that, but I doubt anyone is offering that to Ullmark. If that is the actual price on him though ... hello there Freddy A.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
What seems to have happened to him? He was a super stud goalie and then all of a sudden he's had 2 bad years in a row.

I seem to remember he sort of came out of nowhere when he started his career in the playoffs and continued his heater the next year before teams had a good scouting rapport on him and we're able to exploit his glove hand, which I remember already being identified in his second playoffs. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Ullmark is also looking for 6x6. I do like Mrazek. Of all the UFA goalies- he had the highest save % on high danger chances

Yeah, I don't think he gets it, but probably 5x6, which is more than I'd like to pay.

They should just go for Mrazek, Holland has an inside track with him anyhow

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It's nice that he (or more likely his agent leaking that) wants that, but I doubt anyone is offering that to Ullmark. If that is the actual price on him though ... hello there Freddy A.

Freddy is looking for 5M and term.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah, I don't think he gets it, but probably 5x6, which is more than I'd like to pay.

They should just go for Mrazek, Holland has an inside track with him anyhow

I don’t either- but with NHL GMs you never know. We both agree on Mrazek.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I seem to remember he sort of came out of nowhere when he started his career in the playoffs and continued his heater the next year before teams had a good scouting rapport on him and we're able to exploit his glove hand, which I remember already being identified in his second playoffs. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

I remember that he was absolutely elite in the AHL with a 0.941sv% followed by a 0.931sv% in his 2nd AHL season. If there's such a thing as a bounce back candidate, it is Murray. If he bounces back with a few tweaks we are a cup contender.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Which means he probably settles for 4M 1-2 year. Which team is giving him 3-5 years? I don't think its out there.

I didn’t think Matt Murray would get 6.25 and term- and he did. Free agents day is a day GMs lose their minds.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I didn’t think Matt Murray would get 6.25 and term- and he did. Free agents day is a day GMs lose their minds.

How many teams even need a starter though? Even Seattle has their guy and you have Vancouver trying to dump Holtby.

Matt Murray got paid that because he won 2 Cups at a young age and is still young, someone was always going to roll the dice on him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd be willing to do Murray for Neal under this stipulation ....

Neal retained 50%
Murray retained 40%

We retain a bit more but that third year on Murray's contract becomes only a 3.75 million cap hit.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
How many teams even need a starter though? Even Seattle has their guy and you have Vancouver trying to dump Holtby.

Matt Murray got paid that because he won 2 Cups at a young age and is still young, someone was always going to roll the dice on him.

More than the usual number of teams.
Buffalo, Colorado, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Toronto, and then some teams need a really good tandem option like Washington, Ottawa, Detroit, maybe Philly and Chicago.

Honestly can't think of an off-season that had more of a demand for goalies

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Buffalo, Colorado, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Toronto, and then some teams need a really good tandem option like Washington, Ottawa, Detroit, maybe Philly and Chicago.

8CaDEt.gif

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
And so is Neal's. If Murray completely shits the bed we could buy him out next offseason and the buyout would look like this:

'22-23 $4.5 million in savings
'23-24 $5.5 million in savings
'24-25 -$2.5 million
'25-26 -$2.5 million
Neal's is a year shorter, and he can be easily replaced by another forward if he isn't playing well. The Oilers are stuck dressing Murray every night if he continues to be awful. I'd rather stick with Koskinen for one more year than have Murray at this point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Last year had more demand. A lot of the teams listed there fall into one of two categories

A) Teams that have less cap room than the Oilers (for example Washington has 13 million in cap room but we know Ovechkin is taking 10 million of that, which leaves 3.5 something for like 2 goalies, 1 D, and 2 forwards).

B) Teams that aren't good.

Oilers can spend a bit more than than the teams tight against the cap, but are more attractive than places like Buffalo or Detroit to a goalie who wants to win something.

Everyone and their grandma has seen Smith rejuvenate his career here at an advanced age, that probably is appealling to lots of the available goalies too.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Okay and by the eye test Andersson has been getting worse every year.

I don't know why you ignore the eye test by Toronto fans.

The numbers tell you a story, the eye test confirms it.

Andersson didn't get Toronto to the playoffs. Their team did he has been floundering for years now and you seem to be one of the only ones in the hockey world to ignore it.

And you want to overpay him to do so.

Wanna take a chance on him? Fine throw him 2 mill for a year. It's all he is worth.
You should take whatever the leaf fans say about Freddie with a grain of salt.
They will go to extremes to shift away the blame from their 40 million dollar core four. In the bubble he had a 931 save% and the team got shutout twice but Freddie was the issue according to leaf fans.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Neal's is a year shorter, and he can be easily replaced by another forward if he isn't playing well. The Oilers are stuck dressing Murray every night if he continues to be awful. I'd rather have Koskinen for one more year than have Murray at this point.

I guess it all depends on whether or not our GM and scouts feel that Murray can rebound or not. If he does we look like geniuses, if not we are boned. His buyout isn't that bad after next season assuming that the cap goes up in '22-23 or '23-24.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You should take whatever the leaf fans say about Freddie with a grain of salt.
They will go to extremes to shift away the blame from their 40 million dollar core four. In the bubble he had a 931 save% and the team got shutout twice but Freddie was the issue according to leaf fans.

Yeah for a guy who "can't play" anymore, Andersen's save percentage is really good in the last two playoffs he played. Frankly Campbell was really good last playoffs too.

Their golden boys cannot get it done in the playoffs.

Andersen 19-20 bubble: .936 save percentage
Mikko Koskinen 19-20 bubble: .889 save percentage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad