Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: To buyout, or not to buyout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ding ding ding

You are arguing with Soundwave though who wanted to spend 4mill on Bogosian cause it would get him here and throw him on the top pairing.

Guy is a massive Leafs fan and won't admit it and overrated every player to touch that team
I think we are all Oilers fans here (well, except for the trolls ;)). We can disagree on things, that's fine. :)

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mike had a so-so year his first year here, realized it and went and got appropriate training to elevate his game. Who's to say that Anderson will do the same? The guy is flawed. Bringing him in over Koskinen is likely a side-grade, maybe 10% upgrade at most. Not worth it

Smith had one bad (terrible) month in December 2019, that's all. The Oilers record is ridiculously sky high otherwise for basically his entire tenure.

Now in the playoffs, he shows decline then.

But there is no magical goalie that I can see that guarantees the Oilers better performance for sure in the playoffs. If Grubauer can't get the Avalanche past round 2, why is it a lock he'll do it with Edmonton's lesser overall roster?

There is something to be said for going lower on term, Andersen is more likely to go on a lower term contract, which buys you time to find someone who can actually get the Oilers to a real place of contention.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Because one injury riddled season told you that? He was literally .917 as the defacto starter for the Leafs one year prior.

Under Keefe they played at like a 105+ point pace.

What's wrong with that.

Andersen-Smith would be probably the best tandem in the division and the best tandem the Oilers have had in like 30 years.

Both guys can play and function as a legit starter for fairly long stretches, and when they can't having two of them means they can give the other guy a break to reset.

Uh, his .917 was in 2018-19, not 19-20. That's two seasons ago.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Smith had one bad (terrible) month in December 2019, that's all. The Oilers record is ridiculously sky high otherwise for basically his entire tenure.

But there is no magical goalie that I can see that guarantees the Oilers better performance for sure in the playoffs. If Grubauer can't get the Avalanche past round 2, why is it a lock he'll do it with Edmonton's lesser overall roster?

There is something to be said for going lower on term, Andersen is more likely to go on a lower term contract, which buys you time to find someone who can actually get the Oilers to a real place of contention.
And if Andersson can't even get Toronto out of a round why so you think he will do shit here?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Tierney for 3C?

Also Dadanov can be very productive with elite linemates. 66-point average over 3 years with Barkov. $3.5M could be a steal.

IIRC Dadonov's production was in large part due to power play points. He won't supplant McDrai or RNH on the PP here, and the fourth forward is usually the coke machine in front of the net.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That is my #1 guy. If he can play well in Buffalo, he *should* be able to elsewhere

Not to mention he clearly doesn't take games off to keep up good stats on a bad team.

Is that due to PJ improving that much or not wanting Bura?

I'd love to add Burakovsky, but Jesse is part of our core and on a great contract for next season.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Neal for Murray?

Matt Murray is owed a pretty big chunk of money in real cash, and Ottawa has a bunch of young goalies with upside.

I'm not a big Murray fan.

Was actually thinking Tierney and Dadanov for Neal and Turris.

AAV is a wash and they save $3M in real dollars whole getting Turris back into their community.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And if Andersson can't even get Toronto out of a round why so you think he will do shit here?

Because the Oilers probably have a couple more round 1 ass kickings coming their way anyway.

You need to have better management that moves quicker than what we're seeing to demand better than that.

But this team can very easily still fall backwards and go back to missing the playoffs, which would be really bad. Playoffs and taking your licks in round 1/2 with actual fans this time is a lot better than that.

It's just that people think we automatically should go straight to being a round 3/Finals contender type team, well you kind need top level management if that's your expectation. Thinking having just some cap room would automatically fix everything was naive.

I expect playoffs next year, I don't expect like round 3 or something.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Because the Oilers probably have a couple more round 1 ass kickings coming their way anyway.

You need to have better management that moves quicker than what we're seeing to demand better than that.

But this team can very easily still fall backwards and go back to missing the playoffs, which would be really bad. Playoffs and taking your licks in round 1/2 with actual fans this time is a lot better than that.

It's just that people think we automatically should go straight to being a round 3/Finals contender type team, well you kind need top level management if that's your expectation. Thinking having just some cap room would automatically fix everything was naive.

I expect playoffs next year, I don't expect like round 3 or something.
I just rather a goalie who isn't a known choker that's on a visible decline

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would still take him, Koskinen simply cannot handle the mental duress of being a starter for even 2 weeks.

Grubauer likely stays in Colorado.

Ullmark is a coin flip at best.

Past that there is no clear cut great option that will be cheaper with less term than Andersen.

Mike Smith had a shit season in Calgary before coming here too and refound his game.

The Oilers are probably not going to be an actual Cup contender next year, Holland is not clever enough to do all that needs to be done this quickly it's becoming clear that was always an unrealistic ask.
Smith signed a one year deal worth pennies on the cap. Would Andersen do the same? I doubt it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I just rather a goalie who isn't a known choker that's on a visible decline

Yeah and I want a gold Ferrari, you don't always get what you want.

A salary cap and salary term issues mean there are a lot of realities people here don't take into account. And UFAs are beholden to no one either, they don't have to sign anywhere they don't want to be.

How do we even know if Ullmark for example isn't an even bigger choker in the playoffs? His track record is extremely limited, if anyone might be "another Koskinen" it may well actually be him. How much pressure was he under in Buffalo when the team was a tire fire anyway?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Smith had a much better save % this past season, and he looked a lot better in net overall. Playoffs are a crap shoot, a goalie can be great until he isn't. Some had mediocre seasons then were better in the playoffs. Hell, don't have to go past Smith who sucked with the Flames in the regular season but was far from the reason they lost to the Avs that one year.

I like Grubauer but I don't think he's worth the $6Mx6 that he wants (like Markstrom wasn't). I would like to see Ullmark, Bernier or Mrazerk since they should be cheaper and have played well for weaker teams (obviously Mrazek has played in front of better D than the other two lately).

I just don't think that Anderson is big enough of an upgrade (if at all) to saddle the team with a buyout of Koskinen

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Smith had a much better save % this past season, and he looked a lot better in net overall. Playoffs are a crap shoot, a goalie can be great until he isn't. Some had mediocre seasons then were better in the playoffs. Hell, don't have to go past Smith who sucked with the Flames in the regular season but was far from the reason they lost to the Avs that one year.

I like Grubauer but I don't think he's worth the $6Mx6 that he wants (like Markstrom wasn't). I would like to see Ullmark, Bernier or Mrazerk since they should be cheaper and have played well for weaker teams (obviously Mrazek has played in front of better D than the other two lately).

I just don't think that Anderson is big enough of an upgrade (if at all) to saddle the team with a buyout of Koskinen

Koskinen literally can't play more than 2-3 games in a row before needing a diaper change.

It's clear he's a KHL guy who can't handle an NHL schedule. KHL has far fewer games.

He can give you OK numbers for stretches sure, but only if Daddy Smith holds his hand and comes and cleans up his mess and is nearby constantly to be a safety net.

Which even that I would be OK with ... if Smith was 34 and not 40 years old.

Asking a 40 year old body to go through the duress of a full NHL season is asking for trouble, he can't babysit Mikko on top of trying to make it through the season at 40 freaking years old.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd offer Ullmark like 4 x 3 years, maaaaaybe 4 ... but if he seriously is asking for moer than that, it's seriously getting dicey and the Oilers better do a lot of freaking home work on this guy, as in watching every single period he played multiple times and breaking it down.

The track record there is extremely limited and it's kinda easier to play on a bad team in *some* ways because there's no expectation to do shit, it's a different story when people suddenly expect you to deliver.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Neal for Murray?

Matt Murray is owed a pretty big chunk of money in real cash, and Ottawa has a bunch of young goalies with upside.

Neal $5.75 million AAV, 2 years remaining
Actual Salary
'21-22 $5.75 million
'22-23 $5.75 million
$11.5 million Total Remaining Salary

Murray $6.25 million AAV, 3 years remaining
Actual Salary
'21-22 $6 million
'22-23 $7 million
'23-24 $8 million
$21 million Total Remaining Salary

If they were to acquire and buyout Neal this could make a lot of sense for them financially. Hopefully with Smith's leadership Murray could rebound back to the goalie he was early in his career and we'd still need to ship Koskinen somewhere or else we'd have $12.95 million AAV tied up in goalies next season.

Reactions: 780il

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd offer Ullmark like 4 x 3 years, maaaaaybe 4 ... but if he seriously is asking for moer than that, no thanks.

The track record there is extremely limited and it's kinda easier to play on a bad team in *some* ways because there's no expectation to do shit, it's a different story when people suddenly expect you to deliver.
But you'd pay that to a guy who has been steadily getting worse on a good team?

My word.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But you'd pay that to a guy who has been steadily getting worse on a good team?

My word.

Yes because it's this analogy essentially ... if you're just goofing around in your 20s, you're better off with the girl who just wants to hook up and go to clubs than get married and knock up girl B when both girls are the wrong girl for you.

One you can walk away from and she serves a role in your romantic development or whatever, the other, you're stuck with.

Andersen has made a fair amount of money in his career and is likely not going to be offered long term precisely because of his season last year, much like Barrie wasn't. Which presents an oppurtunity for a short term deal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Matt Murray's contract is horrible.

And so is Neal's. If Murray completely shits the bed we could buy him out next offseason and the buyout would look like this:

'22-23 $4.5 million in savings
'23-24 $5.5 million in savings
'24-25 -$2.5 million
'25-26 -$2.5 million

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If they were willing to do it for James Neal, I might bite, but you really have to hope he finds his game again before that 3rd season.

Neal brings nothing and this would give us a relatively young goalie with a lot of playoff experience that could bounce back behind a much better team and paired up with a solid vet like Smith.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Ullmark is also looking for 6x6. I do like Mrazek. Of all the UFA goalies- he had the highest save % on high danger chances

North

Jun 25, 2009
And so is Neal's. If Murray completely shits the bed we could buy him out next offseason and the buyout would look like this:

'22-23 $4.5 million in savings
'23-24 $5.5 million in savings
'24-25 -$2.5 million
'25-26 -$2.5 million

Not if, when Murray shits the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad