Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: To buyout, or not to buyout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Figured it was a good time to start a new thread! :sarcasm:

We’ll see if Neal and / or Koskinen get bought out by tomorrow. Otherwise we will likely see them traded today. Let’s hope!

We talking 80s sitcom stars in here?

Today is the day to qualify RFAs. I'm curious who will be available and hopefully there's some options for the Oil to fill out the 3rd/4th lines.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Why are we talking about Virtanen?

He sucks, and has huge questions around him. Optics matter, and bringing a player like that in will not signal positive signs to half the population.

Even without that, he sucks. Let's not talk about him and Cosby.

We're talking about him because there is an unfortunately large amount of posters on here that are willing to put winning hockey games above having a decent moral standard.

Reactions: jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
We're talking about him because there is an unfortunately large amount of posters on here that are willing to put winning hockey games above having a decent moral standard.

If you want a winning hockey team, Virtanen as a player should not be on your roster...

Clearly Virtanen was a key cog in the powerhouse Vancouver Canucks.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
I mean you have to buy out Koskinen at this point, unless someone actually wants him.

I've changed my mind on this a few times.

Unless someone takes him in a trade they should just bury him by loaning him out to another AHL or Euro team this year. It will be an extra ~$2 million cap hit this season vs buying him out.

The best case scenario is some team might be willing to give a late draft pick for him at the deadline too if he stays in North America. It also removes his $1.5M dead cap hit for the following season when Nurse gets his raise.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
We talking 80s sitcom stars in here?

Today is the day to qualify RFAs. I'm curious who will be available and hopefully there's some options for the Oil to fill out the 3rd/4th lines.

EnchantingNegativeDrever-max-1mb.gif

It’ll be interesting to see the lists trickle in regarding non-qualified RFAs. If the Pius Suter thing is true, they gotta make a pitch to him

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Do we want to bring AA back for the 3rd line LW?

I'm not sure he had a positive enough experience here to want to come back.

He had a goal and an assist playing with McDavid in his first game here and then was given 12 minutes a night of ice time for the rest of the season.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
McCurdy suggesting a Neal trade still possible? Can we keep trading down for crappier players with easier-to-swallow contract pills until we’re down to the AHL level?

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Only straight buyout I consider is Turis as the hit next year is negligible and it saves cap and coin this year for the owner who has taken a serious hit. Otherwise do whatever necessary to get all the leftover crap off the roster at the end of next year. No more trading draft picks either until we are clearly serious contenders who need a final piece at the deadline.

Cap is only useful if you've got something really good to spend it on. Just spending it for the sake of spending is worse than useless. Koskinen falling away next summer more than pays for Nurse's raise. Neal and the ghosts of Lucic and Sekera buys us top flight dman or goalie the year after. Keep building and we are contenders with a clean sheet the last 2 years of Drai's deal and last 3 years of McDavids.

Keep developing the young guys and get a couple of value contracts like Barrie's last year. The quick hit of cap relief from a buyout feels good for a few weeks but the pains goes on for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad