Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Soli Stinks, and Yak Yakking His Way Out, Mod Post #642

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Yak will go someplace and play much better than he did here. Sucks to lose him but it is what it is. Hopefully he can be part of a package to bring back an impact D.

He's worth very little. I mean, look I love the guy and wanted desperately for it work out here, but he's shown so little he won't return much. I'm sure a change in scenery will help and he'll show more for his new team, but he's going to return so very little in my opinion. I don't think he'll be a significant part of any impact D coming back.

I think it's best for both parties. I love the kid, but if he stays here his career is KHL bound in 2-3 years tops. This marriage needs a divorce for both parties.

Prospect or reclamation project is my guess for his return.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
He's worth very little. I mean, look I love the guy and wanted desperately for it work out here, but he's shown so little he won't return much. I'm sure a change in scenery will help and he'll show more for his new team, but he's going to return so very little in my opinion. I don't think he'll be a significant part of any impact D coming back.

I think it's best for both parties. I love the kid, but if he stays here his career is KHL bound in 2-3 years tops. This marriage needs a divorce for both parties.

On a strong structured team, Yak would be productive.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Yak by himself wont bring back much (a pick or a similar project), but he could be a good sweetener in a larger deal. If you're trying to get a trade done with the Oilers, Yak might be a more enticing add than say a 2nd rounder or whatever. Just sayin'.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

It's very possible that you are right. My hope is that his former 1st overall status and the fact that GMs see the Oilers as ruining every player with Petry as proof might get someone to offer up something decent.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Don't blame him. I hope he's successful with another team. Someone's gonna get him for peanuts. I'm bummed out, but kind of expected this.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think the only way he gets dealt this offseason is being packaged with something else to bring back a better player.

Trading him alone makes little sense as his value is so low. Might as well keep him around till next year and hope he shows something, not like his value will plummet between now and next TDL/offseason. If the offers are garbage I wouldn't mind seeing them work out a deal for him to go back to Russia. We retain his rights and in a couple years maybe he comes back on a cheap deal, or maybe he shows really well in the KHL and someone is willing to give up something good for his rights.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I know he's had a bad year, but what about Juulsen? 6-2 RHD. Recent 1st round pick.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
It's very possible that you are right. My hope is that his former 1st overall status and the fact that GMs see the Oilers as ruining every player with Petry as proof might get someone to offer up something decent.

I highly doubt it. Been given plenty of opportunities and he can't put anything together. He's MAYBE worth a 2nd or more like a 3rd at this point. Might as well keep him at this point then watch him go to the KHL after next year. What a waste.

Zero chance any GM gives anything of value for him now. Hamonic? serious +++ needed on that offer.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I highly doubt it. Been given plenty of opportunities and he can't put anything together. He's MAYBE worth a 2nd or more like a 3rd at this point. Might as well keep him at this point then watch him go to the KHL after next year. What a waste.

Zero chance any GM gives anything of value for him now. Hamonic? serious +++ needed on that offer.

Has he had plenty of opportunities? He has spent an awful lot of time outside the top 6 since he got here. Besides, if GMs think the Oilers ruin everything then his past results might matter a bit less. A lot of GMs wanted this kid in June 2012

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I'm with sticking with him, he's not Schultz or Hemsky guys who just gave up or quit. He needs honestly solid leadership and guys like Maroon and Hendricks in the room to have his back - simply put he needs to be insulated by egos that are bigger than Eberle or Hall.

I feel next year the A's should be Maroon (yea he's proven enough), Hendricks, Mcdavid, and RNH.

Hall & Eberle should both have there A's removed neither has shown any sort of leadership.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
if we can get a 3rd for Schultz with all his contract restrictions, I think we can do better than a 2nd for Yak. He is easy to fit under the cap and carries years of control. We'll do well I'm sure.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
if we can get a 3rd for Schultz with all his contract restrictions, I think we can do better than a 2nd for Yak. He is easy to fit under the cap and carries years of control. We'll do well I'm sure.

I think they probably wanted a late first rounder from a cup contender like Washington maybe Chicago. If it was mid 2nd rounder or 3 he would have easily had many teams go after him.

I watch many teams in a year and the thing about him is that he shows flashes of brilliance. Alexei Kovalev was a guy know for playing hard 25-30 games a year and teams still went after him. Yakupov talent wise can't be compared but he isn't KHL bound yet.

Jun 9, 2011
Makes me sad that Yak asked for a trade. He seems like such a nice kid. I wish we had kept Krueger and given Yakupov the structure that worked for him. As soon as Eakins arrived it was all over. I hope Yak goes somewhere on the East coast and has a first overall career. I still think he has it in him.

I also think there is something wrong with our team. Is someone in that room a polarizer? Are there cliques?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'll be one of the ones who's sad to see him go. I wonder if a deal for Ryan Murphy might make sense. He's a right shooting offensive dman, which we need badly

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Meh.. Juulsen looks like a very mediocre prospect. I think we can do better for Yak.

Juulsen would become the team's best D prospect and is a big body... I'd rather have a mediocre prospect than a failed prospect who wants out. Buh bye.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I don't see us getting back much for Yak. I wish him well and hope he finds success wherever he goes. I think the best use would be like others have mentioned and pack him up with Eberle or Nuge to get a piece we need on the backend. Alone his value is probably a 2nd rounder

^ I'd definitely do Yak for Juulsen but would Mtl?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Meh.. Juulsen looks like a very mediocre prospect. I think we can do better for Yak.

Last year he was a very good prospect. He could have just had a down year on a team that couldn't score. He didn't have a lot of offensive support on his team this season. His team was second worse in the WHL for GF. They were 2nd best for GA. Which is his primary role

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Theoretically, what would a package of RNH+Yak+2016 1st bring back?

A lot but I feel you are diminishing the return on those assets by grouping them together in a vacuum that should return almost any Dman in the league but the type of player you would be targeting with that package just are simply not available. I think you would be better suited trading '16 1st + for one Dman than RNH/Ebs for another and Yak for a 3C/3RW or prospect.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Juulsen would become the team's best D prospect and is a big body... I'd rather have a mediocre prospect than a failed prospect who wants out. Buh bye.

6'2 185 is a bit of a stretch on a big body, and he also just got outplayed all season by Bear. Certainly isn't tracking well.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
6'2 185 is a bit of a stretch on a big body, and he also just got outplayed all season by Bear. Certainly isn't tracking well.

Hmmm... I thought he was 6'3 200ish type of guy... My bad. That said still worth more than Yak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad