Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Soli Stinks, and Yak Yakking His Way Out, Mod Post #642

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I see three possible returns for Yakupov.

A mid round pick at the draft.
Some other teams 3rd pair/4th line player that's probably a bit overpaid.
Some other teams fringe prospect/player that the Oilers can hope they can breath life into.

They're not getting a legitimate asset for this player. When you hear that a players agent has been given permission to seek a trade, that gives a pretty good indication that teams aren't knocking on the door to pick him up.

I think if this was true, the trade would have already been done at the deadline, with one of the teams rumoured to be interested.

I think one thing in the Oilers' favor when trading Yakupov is that as strange as it sounds looking at the standings, it was likely more difficult for him to get top 6 time here than most other teams. I'd imagine there are at least a few teams that think they can make something of him.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
If we could get a player like Larrson or Hamonic that would be just swell

Yakupov isnt going anywhere. He is ours. He makes such poor hockey plays every single game. I honestly cant remember the last time, if ever, Yakupov has beaten a defender.

He jitters his way with the puck, the instant someone challenges him he does this silly spin-o-rama and throws the puck away.

No team would be foolish enough to give up any real asset for him.

He does some things well, but compared to NHL players you can see he just doesnt get it.

Couldn't agree with you more. I pay special attention to Yak when he's on the ice, especially away from the play. Most of the time he looks lost and as you pointed out, when he has the puck he puts his head down and tries to stick handle through 3 defenders or makes a blind pass behind him with no idea of where the puck is going.

There is a lot of love on here for Yak, I'm sure he's a nice kid but the game is just too fast for him to process in real time.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think if this was true, the trade would have already been done at the deadline, with one of the teams rumoured to be interested.

I think one thing in the Oilers' favor when trading Yakupov is that as strange as it sounds looking at the standings, it was likely more difficult for him to get top 6 time here than most other teams. I'd imagine there are at least a few teams that think they can make something of him.

Pretty much this. Who was he going to usurp?
McDavid
Draisaitl
Hall
Pouliot
Eberle
Maroon
Ryan Nugent Hopkins

Hell, even Kassian and Paks were arguably higher on the depth charts than Yak in Tmac's eyes

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
what i see is Yak likely being packaged with Nuge or Fayne or someone else in another package coming back. the Isles are set to lose valuable players C Frans Neilsen and RW Kyle Okposo so sending Nail to them in a package for Hamonic seems logical. if Nail is traded by himself, then a team like Montreal could be interested and wanting to see if his chemistry from junior with Galchenyk can help him score at the NHL level. and the Habs could send a RW back like Sven Andrighetto or one of their young RD like Morgan Ellis or Darren Dietz, though both are inexperienced and not really what we need right now.
just my 2 cents.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Make a bold move if oilers win the lottery and pick 1st overall.

Trades: oilers 2016 1st overall+yak+Fanye to devils
Larsson+devils 1st rndr to oilers

Andrew shaw for picks

Eberle for hamonic

Sign Backes or browser

Maroon-mcdavid-backes
Hall-drai-kassian
Pou-nuge-shaw
Hendy-letestu-pak
Lander

Sekera-larsson
Klef-hamonic
Nurse-davidson
Gryba

Talbot
Vet Ufa goalie to give LB another year to develop in the ahl

If u really want to juice up the lines u move nuge up and have
Pou-shaw-kass as ur 3rd line

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I doubt Yak is going to get packaged with something. I think what we'll see is a trade for either a similarly struggling player or for an NHL ready prospect who can't get regular playing time with their team. Really doubt he'll be traded for a pick, unless Chia is going to use that pick as a part of something bigger on draft day.

It's intruiging to think about possible packages though. Both New Jersey and Winnipeg are interested. I wonder if it would be possible to pry a Trouba or Severson out from those teams if we added something to Yak. Like a Yak+Reinhart+2nd type of deal. It's probably very unrealistic unfortunately.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Yakupov wanted top six minutes, and wanted them handed to him seemingly. I would imagine that where ever he ends up will give him top six minutes initially.

Then he'll do nothing, get demoted, and head to the KHL.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
My question about the Eronko/Yak thing is "Why now?"

Because it has been proven beyond a doubt this season, that he has no spot in our top 6.

When Korps, Pak, and Kassian are being put in the top 6 over Yak, it probably cemented his thoughts that he will never be anything more than an afterthought on this team.

The kid needs a fresh start with zero expectations, somewhere where he can just play hockey.

I'd love to see him turn into a 30/30 guy down the road.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
because it has been proven beyond a doubt this season, that he has no spot in our top 6.

When korps, pak, and kassian are being put in the top 6 over yak, it probably cemented his thoughts that he will never be anything more than an afterthought on this team.

The kid needs a fresh start with zero expectations, somewhere where he can just play hockey.

I'd love to see him turn into a 30/30 guy down the road.

100%

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I could see Yak in a trade for Hamonic. Maybe Yak + Davidson

It should definitely be out east. If he catches fire it should be far from us, and quite frankly the east is weaker and this gives him a good shot at salvaging his career.

I could see trading Yak for a project forward. Specifically, I think this could be just the asset for us to get a good 3rd line center. I like Eller a lot actually, but I get that he's not universally loved. There's got to be someone.

Isles won't be trading Hamonic for a change of scenery project.

And while it is nice that Davidson is doing well for the Oilers, Pelech and Pulock have played well this season for the NYI. Isles will go with their own homegrown kids before trading Hamonic so cheaply.

Also the other trade thread was closed before I has a chance to respond to the poster asking If " I knew Hamonic had requested a trade" after I dismissed Fayne+ Eberle to LI. I have never said Hamonic was Pronger or that I expected a Prongerlike return: multiple players+ picks.I think the isles will get ONE asset back that they value highly.
The poster offered 2 highly paid, disappointing players that the NYI would have no interest in acquiring. How is that an overpayment for Hamonic? Getting high salaried players, you have no interest in?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
My question about the Eronko/Yak thing is "Why now?"

My guess is Yak just probably felt since its a Russian paper, meh, he can be more direct. He probably never thought about negative PR or anything especially when he knows he's on the outs, at least from the Oilers, next season and it's a Russian paper

Also probably didn't think about people potentially using google translate:laugh:

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Isles may have to deal Hamonic for a lesser return than they would get if it were a "normal" trading situation... that's all people are saying.

Basically they want a good young dman back (like a Trouba who is pretty much a perfect example)... but why would another team trade their young promising D... just for the hell of it basically for Hamonic who wants a trade for family reasons. He apparently will only go to a handful of teams... so it certainly limits the situations where a team would return an asset specifically like the Isles want back.

I assume Hamonic wants out NOW and pressure must be growing between Snow/Hamonic/agent to get a deal done... otherwise why even bring up the trade request in the 1st place.

From my view, it's going to be reduced value coming back unless another team has a similar player "on the outs" demanding a trade.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
What's with the obsession with Andrew Shaw? He's going to be an expensive third liner when this team should be spending all their money fixing the defense.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Isles may have to deal Hamonic for a lesser return than they would get if it were a "normal" trading situation... that's all people are saying.

Basically they want a good young dman back (like a Trouba who is pretty much a perfect example)... but why would another team trade their young promising D... just for the hell of it basically for Hamonic who wants a trade for family reasons. He apparently will only go to a handful of teams... so it certainly limits the situations where a team would return an asset specifically like the Isles want back.

I assume Hamonic wants out NOW and pressure must be growing between Snow/Hamonic/agent to get a deal done... otherwise why even bring up the trade request in the 1st place.

From my view, it's going to be reduced value coming back unless another team has a similar player "on the outs" demanding a trade.

Also factor in the expansion draft. If the Islanders don't trade Hamonic they will have to use a slot to protect him exposing both DeHaan and Poulock for the taking.

They just cant lose a quality Dman and hang onto another who clearly wants out.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Let's make this easy
Yak for Drouin. Both players get a fresh start

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don't want any part of Drouin.

I'd take a hard working player who can't seem to score over an entitled kid who cant do anything

Both players have their faults
I think it would be a decent deal. You're not going to get a top 4 dman for Yak unless if packaged with something else

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Isles won't be trading Hamonic for a change of scenery project.

And while it is nice that Davidson is doing well for the Oilers, Pelech and Pulock have played well this season for the NYI. Isles will go with their own homegrown kids before trading Hamonic so cheaply.

Also the other trade thread was closed before I has a chance to respond to the poster asking If " I knew Hamonic had requested a trade" after I dismissed Fayne+ Eberle to LI. I have never said Hamonic was Pronger or that I expected a Prongerlike return: multiple players+ picks.I think the isles will get ONE asset back that they value highly.
The poster offered 2 highly paid, disappointing players that the NYI would have no interest in acquiring. How is that an overpayment for Hamonic? Getting high salaried players, you have no interest in?

How is Eberle disappointing?

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I think that if Yak goes (might end up staying still), it would be an underachieving high profile defenseman. Project for project. Disappointment for disappointment. That way neither team has to admit their mistakes, cut bait and move on possibly getting lucky with the new player.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
How is Eberle disappointing?

If they think Eberle is a disappointing player then that says quite a bit about their opinion. A player who would be tied for 2nd on goals on the Islanders and whose goals per game is the same as Tavares' this season. But he's a highly paid disappointment!

I think that if Yak goes (might end up staying still), it would be an underachieving high profile defenseman. Project for project. Disappointment for disappointment. That way neither team has to admit their mistakes, cut bait and move on possibly getting lucky with the new player.

So, Griffin Reinhart?

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Management has it tough this off season. Wouldn't trade Nuge ..a very good two way player.
Wouldn't trade Eberle..has finish and has put up the points more often than not.
McD, Drai, Hall..No way!
Leaves Yak and our picks or signing free agents.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Welcome to bust town, woot woot

84027676-sam-gagner-andrew-cogliano-and-robert-nilsson-gettyimages.jpg

2009+NHL+Entry+Draft+First+Round+xm2vLqZGWW1l.jpg

yakupov-nail-130202-620-thumb-620xauto-329845.jpg

justin_shultz_edmonton_042413.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So, Griffin Reinhart?

I think that's exactly the problem with trading Yak for someone like that. We'd get worse than Reinhart, and we are loaded with D prospects and projects as it is. I think we should trade Yakupov for a forward unless Chiarelli can put him in a package for a Dman we actually need, not a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad