Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread | Kyle Dubarelli Strikes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If we could get a 2nd for him he should be gone.

Whatever Maroon got last deadline is what I expect for Chiasson. Anything better is a win.

We have exactly zero wingers on this team that are scoring threats in any way whatsoever. We need to keep actual NHL players, not sell them for magic beans that have a 5-10% chance of becoming NHL players (as a 2nd rounder would be) in 3-4 years from now. If Chiasson is willing resign for an understandable cap hit (less than $1.5 million), you sign him.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
We have exactly zero wingers on this team that are scoring threats in any way whatsoever. We need to keep actual NHL players, not sell them for magic beans that have a 5-10% chance of becoming NHL players (as a 2nd rounder would be) in 3-4 years from now. If Chiasson is willing resign for an understandable cap hit (less than $1.5 million), you sign him.

If chiasson signs for under 1.5m we'd be stupid not to sign him. That said, if he's unsigned by the deadline because he isn't willing to take that kind of money, then get anything for him.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Or get and asset for him now and then re-sign him in July.

BTW the odds of a second round pick becoming an NHLer is closer to 30-40%.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I disagree. You could see the seeds of the meltdown growing last night early in the second when Chicago started to take it to them and Talbot had to bail them out again and again. That's not mental weakness, that's a team that doesn't have the talent to hang with even a crap team like Chicago when McDavid and Drai aren't on the ice. It's not psychology.
The sustained pressure in the second period was coming from Chicago's top line, who were matched against our second pairing in Nurse and Russell. That could have been remedied by a simple coaching adjustment.

The same 'outmatched' argument could have been used in the first period when we drew a plentiful of penalties in the late stages. This team doesn't know how to close out a win right now. They take the foot off of the gas and let the other team back in. That is mental.
Sunk cost fallacy. They don't help the team, why play them?
They're better than the other two players currently in our bottom pairing. People bitch and moan about our lack of puck moving options, yet cheer the coaches on when they play Kevin Gravel over a player like Brandon Manning, who is known as a more offensively oriented defenseman.

We have a scouting department who targeted these guys. They sat down in a boardroom, ordered Chinese food and discussed these players at lengths. Were the coaches not invited in on these discussions?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Or get and asset for him now and then re-sign him in July.

BTW the odds of a second round pick becoming an NHLer is closer to 30-40%.

Yes, you are correct, my numbers were a little off. https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144 My point still stands though. You have a 40% (taking the higher number) chance of getting a serviceable NHL player in 3-4 years from now. Or, you can just keep the serviceable NHL player you already have right now. I don't see how this is even a choice, assuming that you aren't forced into getting rid of the player for cap reasons.

People always talk about trading a player about to become UFA and then resign him in the off-season, but it rarely happens.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yes, you are correct, my numbers were a little off. https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144 My point still stands though. You have a 40% (taking the higher number) chance of getting a serviceable NHL player in 3-4 years from now. Or, you can just keep the serviceable NHL player you already have right now. I don't see how this is even a choice, assuming that you aren't forced into getting rid of the player for cap reasons.

People always talk about trading a player about to become UFA and then resign him in the off-season, but it rarely happens.
Pretty much. People complain we have no wingers now. Yet we want to move one that we already have, that has shown to be a fit?

Have enough issues to deal with, getting futures for a guy that fits here isn't the deal we should be making.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The sustained pressure in the second period was coming from Chicago's top line, who were matched against our second pairing in Nurse and Russell. That could have been remedied by a simple coaching adjustment.

Chicago had the run of play at 5v5 almost the entire period, it wasn't just one line.

20182019-20820-cfdiff-5v5.png

The same 'outmatched' argument could have been used in the first period when we drew a plentiful of penalties in the late stages. This team doesn't know how to close out a win right now. They take the foot off of the gas and let the other team back in. That is mental.

This sounds like a post hoc rationalization for a team that simply isn't a very good hockey team. They're slow, they're stupid, they're unskilled. And over the course of the game, that truth will out.

They're better than the other two players currently in our bottom pairing. People ***** and moan about our lack of puck moving options, yet cheer the coaches on when they play Kevin Gravel over a player like Brandon Manning, who is known as a more offensively oriented defenseman.

Meh, not really.

We have a scouting department who targeted these guys. They sat down in a boardroom, ordered Chinese food and discussed these players at lengths. Were the coaches not invited in on these discussions?

I mean would you be at all surprised if they weren't?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

If he's willing to re-sign here now, why wouldn't he be willing to re-sign in July?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Pretty much. People complain we have no wingers now. Yet we want to move one that we already have, that has shown to be a fit?

Have enough issues to deal with, getting futures for a guy that fits here isn't the deal we should be making.

He's not an exceptional player in any way and his play has really dropped off.

You can get him cheap in the summer or an equivalent player who may have a little run.

They were already dumb enough to sign Koskinen after his magic wore off, no reason to repeat that mistake with Chiasson.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To continue on with the coaching focus, we have two coaches who've elected to run ONE PP UNIT the entire season. And it's shocking to people that the rest of the team has trouble scoring at evens? PP time is a bonus for players who are playing well. It helps players gain confidence because it inflates their production. And we limit that opportunity in this organization to give a very average unit ALOT of PP time.

This team is trying to rewrite the alphabet catering to Connor McDavid. And when you step back and look at how the coaching staff is trying to execute, it honestly really isn't that surprising that the rest of the team has failed to gain traction.

Last edited:

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
No on cares about the real dollars. They care about the cap hit

Boston saves 2M in real dollars and quite a bit of salary cap space for the next two seasons in this deal (1.667M next season in cap space if the alternative were buying out Backes themselves). That's a bonus for them.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
whats the point of getting a 3rd + nothing prospect ?
Does nothing for Oilers. Would rather go after someone more NHL ready or looking for a fresh start.

Getting assets always helps, they used a 3rd to get Marody who looks close to NHL ready.

You could look for that type of player but it's hard to find that type of fit. It also means you're looking at Aberg type players.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Getting assets always helps, they used a 3rd to get Marody who looks close to NHL ready.

You could look for that type of player but it's hard to find that type of fit. It also means you're looking at Aberg type players.
yeh I guess if you are going to turn that 3rd into that more NHL ready player later on.
If you can directly turn Chiasson into a Marody or Aberg then that would save a step.
Cant really trust this organization with taking multiple good steps.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Boston saves 2M in real dollars and quite a bit of salary cap space for the next two seasons in this deal (1.667M next season in cap space if the alternative were buying out Backes themselves). That's a bonus for them.

We get absolutely crushed by the cap next season though. Paying almost $8m to two players who aren't even on your team is a killer.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Spooner - $3.1
Manning - $2.25
Koskinen - $4.5
Lucic - $6
Sekera - $5.5

$21.35 million. 25% of the cap($83) invested in 5 useless players.

I give them a pass with Sekera because who could have foreseen him getting 2 significant injuries in a row.

When he was healthy we actually had a competent defense. Klefbom-Larsson, Sekera-Russell, and Nurse-Benning.

Koskinen, I’m still hoping can turn a corner. Might need a new goalie coach for that.

Spooner should be better based on previous play. Not sure if a stint with Bakersfield is going to help.

Lucic and Manning. We all knew those two deals were f***ed up as soon as they were announced.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If he signs for that kind of salary sure, otherwise I deal him and use that pick to unload salary or towards a long term solution in a package deal.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I disagree. You could see the seeds of the meltdown growing last night early in the second when Chicago started to take it to them and Talbot had to bail them out again and again. That's not mental weakness, that's a team that doesn't have the talent to hang with even a crap team like Chicago when McDavid and Drai aren't on the ice. It's not psychology.

Sunk cost fallacy. They don't help the team, why play them?

This. Forget how high you drafted a player. Forget who you traded to get him. Once it's done, its done, and you only value that asset based on performance.

If Persson looks better than Bouchard in camp next year, I don't care that Bouch was a 10th overall pick, send him down.
If a deal comes along to move Larsson+ for a better top pair RHD, I don't care that we traded Hall to get him.

I'm saying those are specific things that I want to happen, but they are examples.

I just want this team to start making better moves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad