Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Comrie to ARI, Dahlstrom to WPG, Everyone else cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
There's a gigantic flaw in clean exits and possessing the puck?

Who are the best defensemen in the league that are "physically punishing"? Bonus points if you can name one under 30 years old.
Zadorov comes to mind. Don't follow the Avs though, so not sure how he's been deployed.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Who are the best defensemen in the league that are "physically punishing"? Bonus points if you can name one under 30 years old.
Who's saying anything about 'best defensemen in the league'? No one is making that claim.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Who's saying anything about 'best defensemen in the league'? No one is making that claim.

The point is if basically every good defenseman in the league is known for their puck-moving over "punishing physicality", it should be pretty obvious what skill set is more valuable.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Trouba, Doughty, Gudas, PK Subban, Ristolainen, Ellis

All these players move the puck well and dish out nasty hits frequently

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The point is if basically every good defenseman in the league is known for their puck-moving over "punishing physicality", it should be pretty obvious what skill set is more valuable.
So is a team's defense in the best position icing six players with the same skill set?

Because I look at our roster and I'm waiting to see what it looks like when we play a team like Boston or St Louis who has the ability to completely own us.

How do you think guys like Bear and Persson look in elevated roles then? How much will those zone exits impact the game when they are forced to spend considerably more time in their own zone?

This summer people complained about a lack of these types of impactful players being added. What did get added were players who specialize in killing penalties and defending in their own end. The grunt work. That's the type of game Larsson offers. And when the team in front of him has the ability to win games without him, he just makes it that much harder for the other team to get back in it when he is there.

Like I said, there are two guys on our active roster today who I feel comfortable icing as top four defensemen with regularity. Three when Larsson is healthy. We're in no position to be trading a player like him.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Trouba, Doughty, Gudas, PK Subban, Ristolainen, Ellis

All these players move the puck well and dish out nasty hits frequently

PK and Risto are NOT noted puck movers and I'd argue both are considered overrated or expendable players to their recent and current clubs respectively.

There are a lot of players who do both but the point I think McDNicks is making is that if you take away the puck movement, it'd be a lot more damaging to them as defenseman than their physicality. I actually don't think Larsson is the worst puck carrier in the world, and at his best he has the ability to skate pucks out of danger areas without panicking. Part of the reason it's been so noticable is the rest of the group wasn't doing it very well either.

With Bear and Persson, and Tippett coaching a more varied and less spread out breakout, it's been far less of an issue for Russell, Nurse and Benning and it will probably be less of an issue for Larsson once he gets a chance to play. I do think cyclebreakers and toughness CAN matter, but on the list of important things to have as a defenseman, it's a lot lower than puck movement. Ideally all six would be able to pass the puck up the ice and some of those guys would also be tough in the corners and along the boards.

Also, the Boston Bruins aren't that tough. I really wish people would stop spreading that myth about them and the Blues.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokersarejokers

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

Well taking the guys from the top 50 in hits who also had positive possession AND at least 25 points:

Jeff Petry (31 years old)
Jake Muzzin (30 years old)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (28 years old)
Dougie Hamilton (26 years old)

I'd argue that all 4 of those guys aren't necessarily physically punishing but rather good at hitting you to separate the puck from you, which should be the goal of a good D-man.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
It’s first week in January, Oilers still playing well and look to be a lock in division. What would it take to get Hall back??

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
PK and Risto are NOT noted puck movers and I'd argue both are considered overrated or expendable players to their recent and current clubs respectively.

There are a lot of players who do both but the point I think McDNicks is making is that if you take away the puck movement, it'd be a lot more damaging to them as defenseman than their physicality. I actually don't think Larsson is the worst puck carrier in the world, and at his best he has the ability to skate pucks out of danger areas without panicking. Part of the reason it's been so noticable is the rest of the group wasn't doing it very well either.

With Bear and Persson, and Tippett coaching a more varied and less spread out breakout, it's been far less of an issue for Russell, Nurse and Benning and it will probably be less of an issue for Larsson once he gets a chance to play. I do think cyclebreakers and toughness CAN matter, but on the list of important things to have as a defenseman, it's a lot lower than puck movement. Ideally all six would be able to pass the puck up the ice and some of those guys would also be tough in the corners and along the boards.

Also, the Boston Bruins aren't that tough. I really wish people would stop spreading that myth about them and the Blues.

Umm, what? Both PK and Risto are 1oo% noted for their puck moving ability. PK infact comes up in several articles about just that if you google it

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
This is not news. That's why nobody wants to make a trade for him. All I recalled in the summer was the Canucks were offering something like Virtanen and some junk for Risto. After Myers was signed, the rumors died down rather quick.

If we want Risto, he can be had for a bottom six and a 3rd round pick. Then he'll be our liability and all the fans will run him out of town within 5 games.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
This is not news. That's why nobody wants to make a trade for him. All I recalled in the summer was the Canucks were offering something like Virtanen and some junk for Risto. After Myers was signed, the rumors died down rather quick.

If we want Risto, he can be had for a bottom six and a 3rd round pick. Then he'll be our liability and all the fans will run him out of town within 5 games.

Ok so you're saying that Risto can be had for something like:

Khaira and a 3rd
or
Archibald and a 3rd
or
Granlund and a 3rd

Oilers would be crazy not to do that deal if it were on the table.

Worst case scenario... they could easily get that value back at the trade deadline from a team wanting more RH D depth which is at a premium in the NHL.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if we could land Paajarvi on a NHL league minimum contract right now? He'd add size and speed to our bottom 6 and since Khaira doesn't play physical anymore he could fill that role as well.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Khaira and a 3rd
or
Archibald and a 3rd
or
Granlund and a 3rd

Worst case scenario... they could easily get that value back at the trade deadline from a team wanting more RH D depth which is at a premium in the NHL.
Those proposals might be possible but managers around the league knows the issues Risto brings. He'd be bleeding goals. So are you actually gaining by dumping a 3rd and a roster player? Sure, we might have an upgrade on the PP with a right hand shot. You also gotta remember he's got a cap hit of nearly 6mill. That's quite concerning when Klefbom does everything better at a discount. Who is willing to eat that 6mill of baggage?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I wonder if we could land Paajarvi on a NHL league minimum contract right now? He'd add size and speed to our bottom 6 and since Khaira doesn't play physical anymore he could fill that role as well.
That would be a good signing. Nice catch. I bet Holland is not aware of his existence though. MPS would be an instant upgrade to Khaira.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Khaira and a 3rd
or
Archibald and a 3rd
or
Granlund and a 3rd

FYI, if you are not aware.

"The native of Finland has a cumulative minus-143 rating (the worst of all NHL players since entering the league in 2013), including a whopping minus-41 (the league-worst) during the 2018-19 season. Though plus-minus statistics are often misleading, on the whole Ristolainen’s analytics are not good."

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
It’s first week in January, Oilers still playing well and look to be a lock in the division. What would it take to get Hall back??
Lock-in the division? My God you have trailed in every single game and have been riding the top line like mules. Neil will come crashing slowly back to earth, God is he slow, Drai and Connor can't sustain the start they are having and the depth D and goaltending is still a tire fire waiting to happen. But yea a lock in the division.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lock-in the division? My God you have trailed in every single game and have been riding the top line like mules. Neil will come crashing slowly back to earth, God is he slow, Drai and Connor can't sustain the start they are having and the depth D and goaltending is still a tire fire waiting to happen. But yea a lock in the division.
Clearly he was presenting a hypothetical situation, I suppose you couldn’t tell there was an implied “if” there.

Tonight’s game aside, they have actually trailed the least amount of time compared to “tied” or “lead” (the most). Just because they had come back wins doesn’t mean they were “flukes” or down a bunch of goals (they were one goal leads). You can look up the stats yourself if you’re so inclined (I have my doubts of that).

This teams biggest issue so far is the bottom 6 not clicking. Unless they’re poised to repeat last year’s historical performance of ineptitude (unlikely, and if so, there is cavalry in the AHL), this is not likely to continue. Their goal tending and special teams are much improved as is their team defense. Neal will cool off, sure, but how much is the question. He’s showing he’s still a 2nd line talent.

Don’t you have your own underwhelming team to worry about?

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I don't see him as an upgrade over any of our other 4th liners.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
FYI, if you are not aware.

"The native of Finland has a cumulative minus-143 rating (the worst of all NHL players since entering the league in 2013), including a whopping minus-41 (the league-worst) during the 2018-19 season. Though plus-minus statistics are often misleading, on the whole Ristolainen’s analytics are not good."

'member when a lot of people thought Nurse was a worse pick than Risto?

Reactions: TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Paajarvi is physical now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad