Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Comrie to ARI, Dahlstrom to WPG, Everyone else cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
DeSmith... sigh. Sullivan quoted as "thrilled" he did not get claimed. I bet.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
What a ridiculous statement given the summer we experienced ... half the roster is new. New coaches and staff... "doing nothing at all" hardly applies.
We've made one trade and signed a bunch of European players and depth guys who are hardly outplaying one another, let the one guy on a PTO go who actually seemed to mesh into our top 6 and our starting goaltender is a week away from being 50.

Our summer 'moves' are closer to doing nothing at all than making a splash. I get that Holland was hogtied because of the last GM whose name should never be uttered around these parts anymore, but pardon my pessimism regardly the realistic outcome of this roster.

There's a poll questioning if our current W group or the available waiver players are better than one another, and it's a legitimate question IMO. We're up to the top end with contracts, again with bottom end depth players and AHL bait, so I get we can't just pluck away at these players, and yes I get that other teams also passed on these players, but other teams don't have the wingers that we do at the moment.

Who's to say that we don't have a trade or trades in the works?

If there is, I'll take back my statement, but we've seen a lot of this crap in the past. Sitting on our hands until the moment has long passed to do anything about it. Yeah, that dumbass who was in charge last made some moves, but that's an extremely low bar to compare to in regards to being a GM for a team.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Most of what I got from Ken's press conference was "uhhhhhhh" "you know" "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Seriously though, Colby Cave is not a 3C.

Reactions: Aerchon

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I disagree. If Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, and Russell are all in top form, and Bear & Persson continue to show what they did in preseason, it absolutely is a playoff calibre defense.

I'm more concerned with offense and goaltending.
That's a lot of ifs just to be a competent defense, tbh.

I agree though, there are AHL teams with better winger depth and our goaltending is the worst tandem in the league.

It's just not looking good.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If Ken Holland legitimately believes this roster is a playoff team then he is as delusional as his predecessors.

I highly doubt he's voicing his real thoughts here though.

Reactions: Aerrol

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
So Persson to IR, Manning stays for now as 7th d.

I wouldn't mind seeing Benning traded for a pick or maybe equivalent forward.

I could also see someone like Currie for future considerations to a team with contract spots since people are so concerned with contract spaces and there's a bit of a logjam in Bakersfield.

I trust Holland completely

You would think Oilers fans would have learned not to have blind faith in a GM by now yet here we are.

Reactions: Aerrol and Aerchon

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
If Ken Holland legitimately believes this roster is a playoff team then he is as delusional as his predecessors.

I highly doubt he's voicing his real thoughts here though.
He's talking about playing big games to get to the second round.

What?

We're trying to get out of November in a decent way here, Kenny.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Holland getting testy with Spec - saying this is not a rebuild year, nor is he going down that road. Need to compete for a playoff spot.

We will see if this narrative stays 3/4 way though the year. Oilers brass always says this and then when they start falling on their asses the rebuild and patience comments come flying out of everywhere.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I disagree. If Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, and Russell are all in top form, and Bear & Persson continue to show what they did in preseason, it absolutely is a playoff calibre defense.

I'm more concerned with offense and goaltending.
So in other words if everything goes perfectly we'll be fine.

Yeah that generally is a sign that no, it's not a playoff caliber defense. Larsson has been on a severe decline the past 2 seasons for starters. If even one of those top 4 goes down for any length of time the season's toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad