Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Comrie to ARI, Dahlstrom to WPG, Everyone else cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
We would be dumb to trade Larsson for anything short of a Ehlers/Nylander type return. A Larsson trade would be one to evaluate in the off-season after seeing Bear and Persson over a full season as well as Bouchard, Jones, Samorukov, Lagesson in the minors.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Meh. If you find someone who still values him like he was a couple seasons ago instead the shadow of himself he's been since, you jump all over it.
He's a shadow of himself when the team in front of him plays like ass. I'm not sure why there'd be an expectation that he comes out on top despite the team losing consistently. He's not a game-breaking defenseman, he's a shutdown defenseman. He's hard-nosed and difficult to play against.

We'd be stupid to think that it's sustainable to see Ethan Bear and Joel Persson log those assignments moving forward. We have two defensemen on this roster that I feel comfortable icing over 20 minutes regularly. They're both left handed.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's a shadow of himself when the team in front of him plays like ass. I'm not sure why there'd be an expectation that he comes out on top despite the team losing consistently. He's not a game-breaking defenseman, he's a shutdown defenseman. He's hard-nosed and difficult to play against.

We'd be stupid to think that it's sustainable to see Ethan Bear and Joel Persson log those assignments moving forward. We have two defensemen on this roster that I feel comfortable icing over 20 minutes regularly. They're both left handed.

It isn't the '90s anymore.

Defensemen who bleed goals against and can't move the puck aren't difficult to play against.

Reactions: 780il and Cloned

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
No kidding. We finally seem to have some depth at D so let’s trade it away.

Yeah... I mean, I might be okay with trading Larsson in February or June to acquire another top-six forward, but I do think it's premature now. Firstly because 5 games doesn't give you a great picture of how Joel Persson and Ethan Bear will perform over the rest of their careers, and secondly because I think 20 minutes from Larsson with Russell could be a big upgrade on 14 minutes from Benning (while getting the minutes down on Nurse and Bear).

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Trading Larsson would be a mistake at this time. Coming off a bad season last year, substantial injury this year, and he wont look great for a while once he gets back, his value will be low anyway you slice it. Not to mention his value as a depth defender to the team. He's no longer top pair calibre, he's in Marc Staal territory, a stable and steady bottom four guy.
That being said, there is that logjam building. Persson and Bear are continuing to improve, if they both have successful seasons, with Bouchard on the doorstep, and Benning and Larsson as well, it becomes something of a numbers game. Depth is great, but you need to find room for all of them.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It isn't the '90s anymore.

Defensemen who bleed goals against and can't move the puck aren't difficult to play against.
Defensemen don't bleed goals against, their teams do.

There's a gigantic flaw in the theory that the 'new generation' of defensemen are speedy, puck-moving fourth forwards. Players who physically punish their opponents will always be difficult to play against.

It's not difficult to understand why Adam Larsson has consistently been thrown out against his opposition's top scoring threats for the majority of his NHL career.

Reactions: oilexport

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There's a gigantic flaw in the theory that the 'new generation' of defensemen are speedy, puck-moving fourth forwards. Players who physically punish their opponents will always be difficult to play against.

I don't see any part of this that describes current-state Adam Larsson. That's the problem.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Slightly OT, but apparently Sekera hasn't been very good in Dallas so far.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Slightly OT, but apparently Sekera hasn't been very good in Dallas so far.
The Sekera buyout was always going to be about us gaining cap flexibility in the short-term. But the desire to keep Sekera was always based on him returning to pre-injury form. And that was always unrealistic.

Reactions: Pointteen

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Sekera buyout was always going to be about us gaining cap flexibility in the short-term. But the desire to keep Sekera was always based on him returning to pre-injury form. And that was always unrealistic.

I thought he looked decent last year with Benning. Apparently he has bad mobility issues in Dallas now, which is weird because even last year he was OK in that respect.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
so long as tippett makes larsson earn his spot/eases him back into the lineup instead of playing the "shut down" pairing which....was an ok idea....but never looked like it was working.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I thought he looked decent last year with Benning. Apparently he has bad mobility issues in Dallas now, which is weird because even last year he was OK in that respect.
That's what I expect from a rookie trying to earn a bottom pairing role though. Sekera was a player making $5.5m for another two seasons. Good wasn't going to be good enough if it meant we didn't have the ability to address other areas of the roster.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That's what I expect from a rookie trying to earn a bottom pairing role though. Sekera was a player making $5.5m for another two seasons. Good wasn't going to be good enough if it meant we didn't have the ability to address other areas of the roster.

I'm just surprised his play has dropped off even more in Dallas.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Defensemen don't bleed goals against, their teams do.

It's not difficult to understand why Adam Larsson has consistently been thrown out against his opposition's top scoring threats for the majority of his NHL career.

There's a gigantic flaw in clean exits and possessing the puck?

Who are the best defensemen in the league that are "physically punishing"? Bonus points if you can name one under 30 years old.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Posters are wanting to trade Larsson after seeing two rookies string together a few good games? Wow. I wouldn’t move him barring an overpayment.
Exactly, it would have to be a trade you can’t turn down otherwise you just keep Larsson. He will be crucial in tighter games down the stretch if we’re still in a playoff spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad