Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I can't recall if it was in the previous trade thread, near the end of the GDT or in the PGT of last nights game, but someone posted hearing Stauffer say the Panthers think Luongo is done and could be interested in Talbot.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
We need an impact player with term, like Vladimir Tarasenko. Look at the Penguins. They had Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Letang, and the rest of the players were fill ins.

Draisaitl and Nuge isn't as good as Malkin + Kessel, and given our lack of Guentzel/Brassard guys, we need one more impact player. Tarasenko.

I'm really interested in what his value is.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Fair enough, but he still only 27. Has a few good years left in him I'm sure.
yeah, and he doesn't strike me as the kind of player who would age quickly. He doesn't rely on his speed much.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Sure, but it's not like you are trading away every pick for the next 2 years.

We still haven't recovered from the summer of 2015, I'd give it at least another year before we start trading futures, especially with a good possibility of landing another top 10 pick this year.

The other hope is once you get going that you are able to filter guys in and out as you won't need core guys just fill ins. We still actually need core players now though and need to look at them via trade.

What teams have done that successfully? Buffalo with Skinner, maybe?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We still haven't recovered from the summer of 2015, I'd give it at least another year before we start trading futures, especially with a good possibility of landing another top 10 pick this year.

What teams have done that successfully? Buffalo with Skinner, maybe?
One team I always think of that filled in some core pieces quickly was the Isles with Leddy and Boychuk.

I think Calgary did well at identifying core pieces that needed to be adjusted. Columbus did as well with Panarin although that might be over.

We tried to identify how to add better core pieces, unfortunately we've made the wrong moves. But at the same time we've also done sweet f*** all under Tambo and where did that really get us? Difference being we have a lot to loss by not getting better every year going forward now.

Edit: Ya Hutchinson was horrid, makes some sense now

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Fair enough, but he still only 27. Has a few good years left in him I'm sure.

So he'll be 28 next year with four years at $7.5M. That's a serious gamble to make. Not that I expect him to pull a Looch, but I'm not sure he fits.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can't recall if it was in the previous trade thread, near the end of the GDT or in the PGT of last nights game, but someone posted hearing Stauffer say the Panthers think Luongo is done and could be interested in Talbot.
Why would they move Hutchinson then?

The interesting part about FLA is they are spending a lot right now. Do they slash some payroll? They have a lot of nice pieces.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Why would they move Hutchinson then?

The interesting part about FLA is they are spending a lot right now. Do they slash some payroll? They have a lot of nice pieces.

Yeah, they have Barkov, Huberdeau, Trochek, Dadonov, Hoffman, plus good prospects in Denisenko, Bjorgstrom, Tippett, and heponiemi all up front.

They should definetely trade a forward for a defensemen and/or a goalie.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
One team I always think of that filled in some core pieces quickly was the Isles with Leddy and Boychuk.

Yeah how'd that work out for them? I think you're being generous with your definition of core piece here.

I think Calgary did well at identifying core pieces that needed to be adjusted. Columbus did as well with Panarin although that might be over.

I don't see the Hamilton return the same way. As much as that's working out for the flames, Hamilton is closer to a core piece than the return was.

We tried to identify how to add better core pieces, unfortunately we've made the wrong moves. But at the same time we've also done sweet **** all under Tambo and where did that really get us? Difference being we have a lot to loss by not getting better every year going forward now.

I don't know how they unf**k Chia's mess while simultaneously improving without sacrificing important future pieces or the limited valuable assets they have.

They should focus on drafting and development and cleaning bad contracts before anything else. I agree they need to improve. I think the timing isn't right this year. Maybe this summer, maybe next year.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I am surprised there isn't more talk about Dougie Hamilton. The Canes are allegedly shopping him. Aho use to play with JP. Seems like a great swap to make.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah how'd that work out for them? I think you're being generous with your definition of core piece here.
They had shitty ownership is what happened. They never built from there. And yes that's the kind of pieces we need. Leddy and Boychuk were either top pairing d-men or just below that for them.

We need guys that can play meaningful minutes.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
They had ****ty ownership is what happened. They never built from there. And yes that's the kind of pieces we need. Leddy and Boychuk were either top pairing d-men or just below that for them.

Oh so nothing like here, then.

The Isles also had the luxury of assets and cap space to make such a move. We don't.

How do you clear room to add salary when you've got roughly $20-26M in garbage eating cap and roster space?

Look at the bad deals on this team:

Lucic (6)
Sekera (5.5)
Spooner (3.1)
Kassian (1.9)
Benning (1.9)
Manning (2.25)

That's not counting Russell (who provides some value for his contract) and the $1.6M deadspace from pointless buyouts.

Oh and did I mention we also need a goalie?

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We aren’t trading our way out of this guys.

The bigger worry is that the GM knows he is getting canned if the team does not make the playoffs.
The GM and his group are horrible and get bend over all the time.
If the oilers are withing a mile of playoffs near deadline they could make yet another AWFUL trade for some middling forward for a 1st plus.

Things can't get any worse? Well I think they can.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
The book is out on Bambijarvi and I'm not sure what we could get for him. I think trading him for a rental of any sort would be monumentally stupid (and I know most of you agree). We just aren't close enough to make those kinds of moves. And I think those kinds of moves are exactly what Peter is thinking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad