Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The whole god-damned situation is laughable. Holes everywhere in the lineup and bad contracts everywhere, so now our idiot GM is going to blow a huge asset on a short-term solution we cant afford? Just fire this clown already!

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Who would you rather trade, Yammy or Pulju?

Maybe unprotected 1st, Yammy/Pulju, Bear, Sekera, and Spooner?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yah but a five million possible ppg player is a start. It just depends how much you believe JP and Yam will become good NHL regulars. It’s a gamble for sure.

I have no particular attachment to those assets, but Schwartz is a band-aid who is currently in his prime, he'll be finishing up his sweet deal and entering his declining years by the time the Oilers are ready to do anything beyond get bounced in the first or second round.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wishing and hoping won't make it so.

You think bouncing around on the edges of the playoffs for the next three years is going to satisfy him?
It really doesn't matter who the GM is. Whoever is the GM will have to make moves to show they are serious about winning. You can't just sit back and wait for 3-4 years. Ever year the GM is going to have to add to show he's serious about getting better.

That and that's a bunch of bull that this team is 3-4 years away. A good gm should get them into the playoffs next year no problem. Should've been able to get them in this year. Not like we are that far away right now anyway.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If you're willing to trade a 1st for a top6 winger.. then you have to go all out and target a guy like Tarasenko. Package the first with other assets and see if the Blues will bite.

I highly doubt that Tarasenko gets moved. (I suspect GMs sometimes threaten to move players with little intention of actually doing so.) But that's the only kind of deal I would be looking for if the 1st is involved. Or you could try to go bigger and do something like Nuge+1 for Seguin. I know, that one wouldn't happen, for a number of reasons, but that's the kind of big move I'd be looking to make.

To put it simply, if the 1st is involved, then it better be for a game-changing piece. I know the Oilers' roster is terrible right now, but we shouldn't forget that one big piece can make a huge difference to a team. One reason being that it can have the cascading effect of pushing lesser players down the lineup and decreasing their minutes and changing their matchups. I think it's possible to shore up glaring holes by pushing players down the lineup, but obviously only if you're pushing them down from the top, so to speak. You need a big acquisition to do that.

Reactions: RegDunlop

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Pulju + 1st for Jaden Schwartz.

That’s my prediction for Chia’s Chia trade.
That wouldn't be a bad trade actually. Schwartz is very good, just injury prone.

We'd have to add cap though to make that work. If we can add Manning and Spooner to even it out or get them to retain it would be a great deal for us.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It really doesn't matter who the GM is. Whoever is the GM will have to make moves to show they are serious about winning. You can't just sit back and wait for 3-4 years. Ever year the GM is going to have to add to show he's serious about getting better.

The very reason we're in the state we're in now is because the current GM came in and made a bunch of big moves to show he was serious about getting better. That's not how you build a winner, not when the foundation is as janky as it is here.

Short term, the Oilers have to dump a crap load of bad deals and upgrade talent across the board with a limited amount of cap space and a diminished pool of assets. Even if they wanted to make some splashy moves to upgrade the team, they can't. You can only bleed out talent so long before there's nothing left to give.

That and that's a bunch of bull that this team is 3-4 years away. A good gm should get them into the playoffs next year no problem. Should've been able to get them in this year. Not like we are that far away right now anyway.

I'm not talking about squeaking into the playoffs and getting steamrolled by teams with actual depth. I'm talking about building a team that contends for the Cup. They need forwards, they need goaltending and they need D, but other than that, they're peachy.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Lucic scored a goal last night. Quick move him while it's value is high.

Realistically though, Oilers won't be able to move him till July 1st if we're lucky, more likely 2020 July 1st. He's kind of out of the picture till then. The signing bonus will need to be paid first.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Steve Tambellini.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And there is no competitive now. Sure we may have the assets to push for playoffs this year but it will then sewer the team for the rest of McDavids contract
The thing is every indication is they are going after a long-term player, so it's not exactly like we are just throwing assets away.

Now the guy making the deal could very well pick the wrong player, but at least the theory isn't exactly so far fetched

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The thing is ever indication is they are going after a long-term player, so it's not exactly like we are just throwing assets away.

Now the guy making the deal could very well pick the wrong player, but at least the theory isn't exactly so far fetched
Yea but you need prospects to fill in gaps later as players age out. We give way all our picks and prospects for now guys, we may be competitive for 1-2 years but the other 5 years of McDavids contract will be in the dumps.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
We have to be bringing in a high caliber player who is young and established if we are trading our first. It can't be traded for "potential". It has to be a forward like Tarasenko or a dman like Hamilton, it literally can't be anything less. We have too many holes to fill and can't risk losing it on someone who may or may not help the team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yea but you need prospects to fill in gaps later as players age out. We give way all our picks and prospects for now guys, we may be competitive for 1-2 years but the other 5 years of McDavids contract will be in the dumps.
Sure, but it's not like you are trading away every pick for the next 2 years. The other hope is once you get going that you are able to filter guys in and out as you won't need core guys just fill ins. We still actually need core players now though and need to look at them via trade.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We have to be bringing in a high caliber player who is young and established if we are trading our first. It can't be traded for "potential". It has to be a forward like Tarasenko or a dman like Hamilton, it literally can't be anything less. We have too many holes to fill and can't risk losing it on someone who may or may not help the team.

Tarasenko isn't young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad