Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Rieder need to pick it up big time. I thought it would be a bargain contract and even though at times he's shown glimpses of good play in general he hasn't been worth the $2M.

Reactions: Oilhawks

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
By my calculation, I think the Oilers can add another top 6 forward in free agency this summer.

$2,000,000 (Tobias Rieder) + $1,950,000 (Alex Petrovic) = $3,950,000

The Oilers are also going to be able to shed some cap space from their goaltending situation:
$4,166,667 (Cam Talbot) + $2,500,000 (Mikko Koskinen) = $6,666,667 ---- Current Contracts
$3,500,000 (Cam Talbot) + $2,000,000 (Mikko Koskinen) = $5,500,000 ---- New Contracts
Current Contracts - New Contracts = $1,166,667

$3,950,000 + $1,166,667 = $5,116,667 (Cap Space)

If Duchene is interested in singing with the Oilers, they can add assets to Brandom Manning's one year contract to create more cap space.

$5,116,667 + $2,250,000 (Brandon Manning) = $7,366,667 (Cap Space) + Additonal cap space from a rising cap (maybe + $2,000,000).

In my model, the Oiler would lose three roster players from their roster, while gaining one roster player, thus they will need to fill two spots. However, Manning is a terrible hockey player who is easily replaceable by someone like Evan Bouchard, Caleb Jones, or Ethan Bear. For Rieder's spot on the roster, one of their younger rookies could fill the hole (Tyler Benson, Hebig, etc).​
I could see this happening if we fire Chia and Duchene is interested in a 7x7 to come here. (NMC first 3 years, NTC next 2 years, nothing in last 2 years. The trade protection brings the AAV down.)

Now, let's say we draft Cozens and we could have this next season:

Chiasson - Mcdavid - Draisaitl
Duchene - Nuge - Cozens
Benson - Spooner - Yamamoto
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

We'd need an upgrade at 3c for a more 2 way guy (like Strome) but that looks good to me.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
A Chi firing followed by a legit solid GM hire would. Chia fired with MacT being his replacement at best is a marginal upgrade and more like business as usual.

Will be interesting to see how tone-deaf this org really is with the next GM hire. My god would that be brutal if they tried to re-sell MacT to everyone as having the potential to be a top end GM.

Wonder how people would take Keith Gretzky getting the job. I'd hope there would be outrage as well, even though that probably has an infinitely better chance to work compared to MacT (which has 0 chance to work IMO).

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I could see this happening if we fire Chia and Duchene is interested in a 7x7 to come here. (NMC first 3 years, NTC next 2 years, nothing in last 2 years. The trade protection brings the AAV down.)

Now, let's say we draft Cozens and we could have this next season:

Chiasson - Mcdavid - Draisaitl
Duchene - Nuge - Cozens
Benson - Spooner - Yamamoto

We'd need an upgrade at 3c for a more 2 way guy (like Strome) but that looks good to me.

You can't bank on Alex Chiasson playing like this next year. He's having not a just a career year, he's never played like this in his life. I'm not a fan of fancy stats, but he will regress to what he is. You ride the hot streak while you can, not bank on him repeating, that's why they're in the mess they're in.

Reactions: frag2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Will be interesting to see how tone-deaf this org really is with the next GM hire. My god would that be brutal if they tried to re-sell MacT to everyone as having the potential to be a top end GM.

Wonder how people would take Keith Gretzky getting the job. I'd hope there would be outrage as well, even though that probably has an infinitely better chance to work compared to MacT (which has 0 chance to work IMO).

K. Gretzky has drafted some dandy players but he's also been here when we drafted Yamamoto. TBH I'm not sure how I'd feel if he's named GM, if he sucks badly,the Gretzky name will lose a lot of its luster in Edmonton.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You can't bank on Alex Chiasson playing like this next year. He's having not a just a career year, he's never played like this in his life. I'm not a fan of fancy stats, but he will regress to what he is. You ride the hot streak while you can, not bank on him repeating, that's why they're in the mess they're in.

Just like Maroon in his career year.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

If you forget about Keith Gretzky's last name and just look at his body of work, I wouldn't see him as the end of the world. As bad as nepotism can be, it's also bad when you overlook talent because of it...

Reactions: Oilhawks and LaGu

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you forget about Keith Gretzky's last name and just look at his body of work, I wouldn't see him as the end of the world. As bad as nepotism can be, it's also bad when you overlook talent because of it...

Personally I'd keep him as the assistant GM/in charge of drafting and development.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Isn't MacT the assistant GM right now? If so, he's as stupid as Chiarelli and is at best a lateral slide through dog ****.
Keith Gretzky is the Assistant GM, MacT is the Senior Vice President of Hockey Ops.

I don't want MacT back as GM, but I would trust him enough as an interim GM if he was instructed not to do any shaping of the roster and just sell off our expiring contracts and try to cut some salary off the roster to set-up for the next GM hire we bring into the fold during the summer.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Keith Gretzky is the Assistant GM, MacT is the Senior Vice President of Hockey Ops.

I don't want MacT back as GM, but I would trust him enough as an interim GM if he was instructed not to do any shaping of the roster and just sell off our expiring contracts and try to cut some salary off the roster to set-up for the next GM hire we bring into the fold during the summer.

If it's just selling off assets, then name Keith Gretzky as interim GM. If they name MacT anything related to General Manager, then the arena should be empty for the next home game. I want Chiarelli gone too, but not if it means bringing back MacTavish. Just let the whole thing burn if that's the case...

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
It's usually in March, but an early firing will get people excited for next year, playoffs or not.
I'm a season seat holder for 22 yrs now and in last 7 yrs or so been saying I'm giving them up. But every yr something happens to keep us fans holding on to them. All the first round picks hall nudge even yak we keep saying we will see how this yr plays out then every year there's something. Then we get mcdavid then we stick around to have seats in new arena then we hit playoffs. Last yr we missed playoffs most said will stick around one more yr now this yr there likely not making playoffs again. So If im a betting man oilers will try to do something big to give fans hope for next yr and try keeping us fans in the seats.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Rieder need to pick it up big time. I thought it would be a bargain contract and even though at times he's shown glimpses of good play in general he hasn't been worth the $2M.
He hasn’t been worth a plug nickel. I said over a month ago that he was a bust, and several people disagreed and thought he was playing well. Well, we’re halfway through the season and I’m even more convinced he’s a bust. Skates up and down the ice and generates nothing. Mind you, we have about 8 others just about the same.

Reactions: LaGu

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017

Chia final contract will be given to Chiasson and you know it’s 4x4 with a no trade.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
When has he ever been a top 6 forward, dude is playing way over his head....like the vast majority of the team.

If we actually had some semblance of a consistent third line, and he hadn't been hurt for a month, I think his totals would be better.

I mean, Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian was our de facto third line for like a month.

Sometimes, when I am day dreaming, I think that we actually have an OK framework going forward.

xxx - McDavid - Draisaitl
xxx - Nuge - Pulj
Reider - xxx - xxx

Then, I remember that this involves shedding $10M + in cap space, and that Chia is (for now) the person who would be tasked with doing that.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If you want to know where the Oilers need to invest check out the following:

Goals For: 126

Goals for with one of McDavid, Draisaitl or Nuge NOT getting a point 23: 18%

Goals for when one of McDavid, Draisaitl or Nuge is not on the ice 26: (In 1014 min = 1.58 g/60)

(This means that the Oilers have scored 3 goals this year where one of these three was on the ice but not involved)

5 vs 5 goals for: 80

5 vs 5 goals with one of McDavid, Draisaitl or Nuge NOT on the ice: 13

5 vs 5 goals with one of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Chaisson or Caggiula NOT on the ice 9:

What is worse is that of those 9 5 vs 5 goals that were scored with one of these five not on the ice there are about four more that involve either Bouchard, Strome or Yamamoto.

In contrasts for Tampa:

Goals for: 185

5 vs 5 goals for 119

Goals where none of Kucherov, Stamkos or Point were on the ice: 60 (In 1184 min= 3.04 g/60)

5 vs 5 goals where none of Kucherov, Stamkos or Point were on the ice: 39

So if you take away the times when the top three players were on the ice the Oilers are outscored by Tampa by 1.48 g/ 60 !!! Despite the fact that Tampa's other "top 6 players" are way better than the Oiler and that they have better offensive defensemen, when the team's top three are on the ice Tampa only outscores the Oilers at 5 vs 5 80-67 over the course of the season.

The defense is hurting right now but with Bouchard and Jones added to Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Russell and Sekera, there is no need to be looking to focus on the back end until the skill deficiency up front is addressed.

In normal times a nothing burger trade like Caggiula for Manning might be forgiven. But given the lack of anyone who seems to be able to generate offense away from the bug three this trade is even more alarming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy - I just can't get over this pickup of Brandon Manning, and especially the fact that Chia apparently was going after him over a year ago already? Wasn't it last year where Connor vented after the game about things that were said on the ice about the collar bone incident?

And then Chia goes to get his blessing should he be able to make a trade for this guy (last year). Manning is the only guy he could go after at that point? I really don't think Chiarelli is even working for the Oilers, its just one massive troll job right from the start coming out of Boston. Only thing that makes sense after the last string of trades.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I mean he’s never scored less than 12 goals in the nhl. He’s between 12-17 every year and he can’t get a goal?

When was he forced to play against other teams to 2 lines? That's the teams problem right now. It's not a lack of talent per se, it's a lack of top 6 talent. The guys are playing above their heads. As much as I want to see hustle, I want them put in a place they can succeed. Reider isn't a top 6 forward and expecting him to play like one is just silly.

Edit: Everyone is playing above their heads....except Spooner, he just sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad