Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
What? Sekera is weeks away from returning and Reider + Benning cost only about half of Stone's future salary

I don't think Sekera will return. Chia wouldn't have traded for Manning if he thought he would. If he stays on LTIR, and we don't resign Rieder and dump Benning, resign Chiasson for 2.2 million, Khaira for 2 million, Pulju for 1, Rattie for 1, and goalies for a combined 6, we have about 9.5 million in cap space.

Thats what I keep trying to say. Our cap situation is not as dire as everyone says. We could potentially sign Stone, or Silverberg/Nyquist + Donskoi/Spezza/Brassard, giving us decent depth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think Sekera will return. Chia wouldn't have traded for Manning if he thought he would. If he stays on LTIR, and we don't resign Rieder and dump Benning, resign Chiasson for 2.2 million, Khaira for 2 million, Pulju for 1, Rattie for 1, and goalies for a combined 6, we have about 9.5 million in cap space.

Thats what I keep trying to say. Our cap situation is not as dire as everyone says. We could potentially sign Stone, or Silverberg/Nyquist + Donskoi/Spezza/Brassard, giving us decent depth.

I don't think Sekera agrees to that. He's not like 40 years old, he's still relatively young, it's hard to tell an athlete "you can't play the sport you've trained your entire life for".

Unless he physically cannot play any more I don't see him willingly staying on LTIR, he's going to want to play.

Unless he tears his achilles or ACL again somehow, I don't think he agrees to stay on LTIR next season.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I don't think Sekera agrees to that. He's not like 40 years old, he's still relatively young, it's hard to tell an athlete "you can't play the sport you've trained your entire life for".

Unless he physically cannot play any more I don't see him willingly staying on LTIR, he's going to want to play.

Unless he tears his achilles or ACL again somehow, I don't think he agrees to stay on LTIR next season.

If that were the case, I wonder what we would have to add to trade him.
He had good chemistry with Faulk, Carolina might be a potential destination.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Larsson and to a lesser degree Puljujarvi are not garbage. Neither is Looch if he can keep his recent level of play up (big if I know).

If Looch can keep his play up long enough to sucker in a team, it's probably better to just flip that albatross of a contract. It's been noted by media heads that it looks like he's not happy being in Edmonton anyway [regardless of what Looch himself says]

The sooner we rid ourselves of that 6M hit, the better.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
What do you think would be the cost to get Eberle back? Heard the guy is not enjoying the big city life.

Why would he want to come back to this tire fire? He'll have a few options this summer.

I can't imagine why anyone would willingly sign here unless there are major changes to the front office this summer or no other team wants them.

Reactions: Aerrol

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
You guys think NJ would do this:

Pulju + Mcleod + 2 2nds + Sekera
For
Vatanen
I don't think NJ would touch this with a pole.
McLeod looks really good and might be a 2nd rd steal, him and Benson are guys I'd certainly not trade. Vatanen is an UFA after next season and he's going to get PAID! Sekera wouldn't help the Devils one bit, he'd make their D worse.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Why would he want to come back to this tire fire? He'll have a few options this summer.

I can't imagine why anyone would willingly sign here unless there are major changes to the front office this summer or no other team wants them.

Allegedly his wife isn't liking the NY life. Same with Eberle as well.
Not surprised though given that not everyone, especially someone from the prairies, could put up with NY life. Smyth's wife couldn't deal with LA and demanded to get back to Alberta.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Anyone have a feeling MacT will be making our trades at the deadline???
I have a feeling MacT has been involved in all the trades we've made. And all the rest of these bozos. And I believe that's why against all logic Chia still has a job. I literally think they all sit down in a room and their collective idiocy is responsible for this. If it just Chia, who in their right mind wouldn't have canned him by now.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I have a feeling MacT has been involved in all the trades we've made. And all the rest of these bozos. And I believe that's why against all logic Chia still has a job. I literally think they all sit down in a room and their collective idiocy is responsible for this. If it just Chia, who in their right mind wouldn't have canned him by now.

Chia has complete autonomy. Sad but true

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017

His latest trades are baffling to me. Why would you trade Strome, who was improving defensively, I agree the guy couldn't piss a drop, but he filled a 3rd line centre need. Especially, when a day later they hire Hitchcock who likes defensively responsible players.

I like the Petrovic deal, but I don't understand the Manning deal at all. Why pick him up and healthy scratch him every game. Especially when he's on the hook for next season as well.

I find it interesting when player make comments on poor communication within the team when players are traded and have left. This is one messed up situation, getting rid of one guy probably won't move the dial.

Really can't believe that Katz puts up with this stuff. I appreciate what Katz has done for the city and I think he is a good owner. I can't imagine that he would have let Rexall be run by mangagement such as this.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Also suite rentals are up at the end of the year. Guaranteed that will be huge when there isn't a bunch of renewals.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It's an excellent way for the OBT to create a scape goat that's for sure. Maybe you're right and it's a complete one man show, but that in itself would be a serious indictment against the management. There are and should always be checks on all levels of management.

The Manning trade is .... damning to say the least for the entire upper management. Chiarelli of course worse because he's responsible, but the people around him and/or above him should have pulled the brake on that one.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I am not sold on a Stone trade tbh, and I love the player. We'll be even more top heavy and we are seeing now how this is not always ideal. I'd try to aim for $3-5M players (wingers).

We need to move out a couple of the excess D men (big no to moving Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse or Russell though) and see if we can manage to fit in a couple of decent wingers.

Up until a short while ago I'd say give a try to sign P.Berglund, but I think there are some serious issues there (in his head) which I don't think this team needs.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
By my calculation, I think the Oilers can add another top 6 forward in free agency this summer.

$2,000,000 (Tobias Rieder) + $1,950,000 (Alex Petrovic) = $3,950,000

The Oilers are also going to be able to shed some cap space from their goaltending situation:
$4,166,667 (Cam Talbot) + $2,500,000 (Mikko Koskinen) = $6,666,667 ---- Current Contracts
$3,500,000 (Cam Talbot) + $2,000,000 (Mikko Koskinen) = $5,500,000 ---- New Contracts
Current Contracts - New Contracts = $1,166,667

$3,950,000 + $1,166,667 = $5,116,667 (Cap Space)

If Duchene is interested in singing with the Oilers, they can add assets to Brandom Manning's one year contract to create more cap space.

$5,116,667 + $2,250,000 (Brandon Manning) = $7,366,667 (Cap Space) + Additonal cap space from a rising cap (maybe + $2,000,000).

In my model, the Oiler would lose three roster players from their roster, while gaining one roster player, thus they will need to fill two spots. However, Manning is a terrible hockey player who is easily replaceable by someone like Evan Bouchard, Caleb Jones, or Ethan Bear. For Rieder's spot on the roster, one of their younger rookies could fill the hole (Tyler Benson, Hebig, etc).​

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That remains to be seen.

Chia needs a kick in the nuts if Sek is really coming back this year. How the heck are we gonna free the 3M of cap space (increased after Chia's latest brutal deals) to take him off LTIR?

Trade Nuge for Ryan Strome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad