Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I think Heinola could slot right in on the Jets team and skip the Moose completely. He has played in the Finish Mens league and played 8 NHL games and looked comfortable in most of them. I see his upside as first line but will end up playing 2nd line when he does make the Jets.

He can easily play the tempo of the NHL but doubt he would be able to keep the pace and confidence up after getting worked against the boards game after game. He needed to work on his strength and conditioning as well as his defensive game a bit. One year (or so) in the AHL while gaining that will help tremendously

Reactions: Adam da bomb

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Heinola plas with the Jets next year...just not sure if it will be out of TC or not. I think Slamberg makes it and I don't think Maurice would want too many rookies on the D.
JMo DeMelo
Slambereg Pionk
Heinola/Boolow Poolman
We need a D to expose to the XD so play Boolow (or reasonable facsimile) enough games to qualify.
Our D isn't very big. It'd be nice to have a big talented D man. Doesn't have to be quite as big or talented as Buff but someone that the other players have to be aware of when he is on the ice. A younger Weber would be nice. Hopefully, Slamberg turns into something like this.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
After reading every post on the main trade board for "2C potentially available"........what a bunch of sad sacks of crap/Aka nothing interesting available potentially around the NHL.......comparing a healthy 50 point (edit actually 40-45 point) Little vs those guys, their cap hits & price to acquire them............pretty sure Chevy is very happy if he gets a healthy Little back at 2C IMO.

Most of the guys in that thread have zero interest to me personally. Strome is a huge question mark? Domi is interesting albeit expersive cap hit soon & expensive to get & poor defensively, Granlund fans all confirm he's far better at wing then C & was poor last year, took a big step backwards & likely still expects a 4-5 yr deal at 5-6 million.

I'm assuming there will be no new magical unicorn playing at 2C next year, it's going to be Little primarily (assuming he stays healthy), then Copp & Jack sprinkled in there the odd time. If Little is injuried long term, Wheeler comes in to backfill him.

Saying all that I would sign DeMelo, all RFA, LB and go get guy like Dillion or something similar for LHD.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
After reading every post on the main trade board for "2C potentially available"........what a bunch of sad sacks of crap available potentially around the NHL.......comparing a healthy 50 point Little vs those guys, their cap hits & price to acquire them............pretty sure Chevy is very happy if he gets a healthy Little back at 2C IMO.

Most of the guys in that thread have zero interest to me personally. Strome is a huge question mark? Domi is interesting albeit expersive cap hit soon & expensive to get, Granlund fans all confirm he's far better at wing then C & was poor last year, took a big step backwards & likely still expects a 4-5 yr deal at 5-6 million.

I'm assuming there will be no new magical unicorn playing at 2C next year, it's going to be Little primarily (assuming he stays healthy), then Copp & Jack sprinkled in there the odd time. If Little is injuried long term, Wheeler comes in to backfill him.

Little hasn't hit 50 points in years now. He's now pretty much a low 40 point C with a declining all around game. Granted if he can't get a quality 2C then he's best off allowing Maurice to trial a bunch of options there next year. The organization is going to need to make a call on some players with the expansion draft coming up.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Little hasn't hit 50 points in years now. He's now pretty much a low 40 point C with a declining all around game. Granted if he can't get a quality 2C then he's best off allowing Maurice to trial a bunch of options there next year. The organization is going to need to make a call on some players with the expansion draft coming up.

Oh yeh if Little can go to Seattle sure let him go. Yes Little is a 40-45 2C......not much better in those thread pages on the main boards. Most are over paid, aging declining guys, with big cap hits and a cost to acquire them. No magic young 60+ point guys out there available for Roslovic & 2nd Rd pick. If fans want a 60+ point young 2C then be prepared to give up Connor, Laine or Ehlers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh yeh if Little can go to Seattle sure let him go. Yes Little is a 40-45 2C......not much better in those thread pages on the main boards. Most are over paid, aging declining guys, with big cap hits and a cost to acquire them. No magic young 60+ point guys out there available for Roslovic & 2nd Rd pick. If fans want a 60+ point young 2C then be prepared to give up Connor, Laine or Ehlers.

I agree. I would like to give both Roslovoc and Harkins shots at that 2C slot next year. Harkins was a ppg playmaking C on the Moose last year. The kid has vision and good instincts to go along with a good skill set. He is expansion draft eligible so get a good long look and see if he might grow into the roll. We are due a late blomer who fill a key roll.

Reactions: RabidOne and ps241

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I agree. I would like to give both Roslovoc and Harkins shots at that 2C slot next year. Harkins was a ppg playmaking C on the Moose last year. The kid has vision and good instincts to go along with a good skill set. He is expansion draft eligible so get a good long look and see if he might grow into the roll. We are due a late blomer who fill a key roll.

Yup, I agree give Jack, Harkins and whoever else might have a shot at it we have nothing to lose........that being said I don't see any of them being successful at it........but who knows maybe we draw a winning 649 ticket. I'm just accepting next year at 2C will be non dynamic.......it is what it is.......Jets have above average top 6 wingers with a slightly below average 2C.......every team has its weaknesses. IMO assuming no magic unicorns present themselves this summer maximize what we got, sign RFA's, sign LB, sign DeMelo and add one vet guy at LHD who can play top 4 mins.......that is as good as this team gets next year.

Harkins/Jack/Copp I suspect will replace Lowry at 3C after next year. Little is going to continue to decline slowly, at some point the Jets will have to replace him with someone new and I don't see any realistic options within the organization at this point.......maybe this draft might produce a C we can use in a couple yrs if we're lucky. Only other option is signing a aging 2C FA and pray we don't get another Little contract or trade one of Connor, Ehlers, Laine for a good one. That being said I pray one of Jack, Harkins or Copp can step up as a dark horse and do it one day.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Spitballing ideas just bored and having fun:

- Let LB walk.

- Trade for Allen at 50% retained & Dunn for Niku, 2rd pick & 3rd pick (could always replace picks with similar value prospects if the Blues like).

Blues dump cap (which they need to) & get some ok futures, Jets get a backup for one year and our top 4 LHD. Jets sign Dunn for about 4 million cap hit.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Spitballing ideas just bored and having fun:

- Let LB walk.

- Trade for Allen at 50% retained & Dunn for Niku, 2rd pick & 3rd pick (could always replace picks with similar value prospects if the Blues like).

Blues dump cap (which they need to) & get some ok futures, Jets get a backup for one year and our top 4 LHD. Jets sign Dunn for about 4 million cap hit.
Just can’t see Dunn wanting to be here.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Just can’t see Dunn wanting to be here.

Why not?

- Canadian kid, Canadian team

- Dunn isn't exact a star player who can call any team to give him a contract....he's a solid player.....not a star.

- Play for a cup contender.

- He's a RFA with no restrictions on being traded. Is he going to sit out and refuse to sign for a year?

- He's being given a top 4 role on a good team.

He's getting everything any competive NHL player would want......only negative in "some" players eyes we're Canadian city & small market. I don't see Dunn being like that, but who knows.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I imagine for better or worse the org is going to give Comrie a shot at the backup role next season. He is inked to a one way deal at a fairly cheap contract. Plus the org likes him.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I imagine for better or worse the org is going to give Comrie a shot at the backup role next season. He is inked to a one way deal at a fairly cheap contract. Plus the org likes him.

I like Comrie as a person.........but he's been really bad in all his stints on the Jets so far.....who knows maybe next stint is the charm but I'm not holding my breath on him being successful. Goalies are voodoo so hopefully if he gets a chance again this year he's good.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Why not?

- Canadian kid, Canadian team

- Dunn isn't exact a star player who can call any team to give him a contract....he's a solid player.....not a star.

- Play for a cup contender.

- He's a RFA with no restrictions on being traded. Is he going to sit out and refuse to sign for a year?

- He's being given a top 4 role on a good team.

He's getting everything any competive NHL player would want......only negative in "some" players eyes we're Canadian city & small market. I don't see Dunn being like that, but who knows.

Would Dunn need to be lottery protected?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Fair point.

MP for Russell straight up.

Makes me appreciate the DeMelo acquisition if we can get him extended. The Right side was a higher medium term challenge for the club IMO. We have decent quality young depth on the Left side in the pipeline. Hopefully someone grows into that 2nd pairing Left hand option next season.

Reactions: DRC and Hunter368

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

Comrie flamed out with another 2 NHL teams this year before ending up with us again, if the Jets consider him a viable option for a backup I'll be annoyed.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup, I agree give Jack, Harkins and whoever else might have a shot at it we have nothing to lose........that being said I don't see any of them being successful at it........but who knows maybe we draw a winning 649 ticket. I'm just accepting next year at 2C will be non dynamic.......it is what it is.......Jets have above average top 6 wingers with a slightly below average 2C.......every team has its weaknesses. IMO assuming no magic unicorns present themselves this summer maximize what we got, sign RFA's, sign LB, sign DeMelo and add one vet guy at LHD who can play top 4 mins.......that is as good as this team gets next year.

Harkins/Jack/Copp I suspect will replace Lowry at 3C after next year. Little is going to continue to decline slowly, at some point the Jets will have to replace him with someone new and I don't see any realistic options within the organization at this point.......maybe this draft might produce a C we can use in a couple yrs if we're lucky. Only other option is signing a aging 2C FA and pray we don't get another Little contract or trade one of Connor, Ehlers, Laine for a good one. That being said I pray one of Jack, Harkins or Copp can step up as a dark horse and do it one day.

Who is this LB guy you keep wanting to sign? Luca Beaulieu?

Edit: NVM, finally figured it out. :laugh: I was looking at D men.

Reactions: Hunter368

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I hope not. He'll have to be a lot better than he has ever been at the NHL level. His best game in the NHL was gawdawful. Expect 70+ regular season games for Helle if they do that.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Comrie flamed out with another 2 NHL teams this year before ending up with us again, if the Jets consider him a viable option for a backup I'll be annoyed.

I am not saying I like the idea at all just that it is something I can see the org doing

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I am not saying I like the idea at all just that it is something I can see the org doing

I understood that you weren't personally advocating for it, I was just giving my opinion.

Personally, I feel if the Jets were going to go with Comrie at any point it would have been this year, unless they really believed that Brossoit would play out of his mind again (and if not that well, better than any other backup at the price).

Comrie's flaws were on full, glaringly obvious display in every single game he started. I know we went through the Pavelec era where he clearly wasn't a starter and nothing was done, but unlike Pavelec we're not locked into a bad contract with Comrie. Brossoit didn't exactly light the world on fire this season so we could probably re-sign him again if he wants to stay. Or any other backup goalie floating around the league.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'd be surprised. I think he will be pretty far down the depth chart next year. Probably gone after that.

I could see them keeping Brossoit if he is reasonable in his contract expectations. IMO, he played better than his stats this year which makes him worth keeping. But those stats make him worth less $$$.

I also like Hunter's idea of using the backup goalie position to leverage Dunn out of StL. I'm not sure his 50% retention gets it done though. Might need to take less retention. I don't think Blues are going to be able to keep Piet, so they will be down to 6 D. Not sure they will be willing to also lose Dunn but they may not have much choice. If they like Niku as a replacement, it might work. If not, maybe they would like Stanley. Better defensively than Niku. And I heard he is pretty big. :sarcasm:

Allen, 40% retained (they pay 1.74, we pay 2.61) + Dunn - for Stanley + 2nd + ?(we don't have a 3rd this year) maybe '21 3rd.

Reactions: Hunter368

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I think STL is pretty high on Dunn. Not sure that works... Especially given a ton of teams need goalies and they could probably ship out Allen for free for a team that wants to take a chance on him.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Maybe when we aren’t looking at an expansion lottery, but if we add Dunn which 3 D do we protect? and if we protect 4, then which 4 forwards do we protect?
Adding any top 4 D at this point, (before the Seattle lottery), isn’t logical, and even after, we’d be blocking Heinola or Samberg from moving up.
Other than adding vet rentals on cheap 1yr deals, I don’t see much we can do to the D until after the Seattle expansion and after we see what Samberg and Heinola do.
Whereas we could add to our forward group without it affecting to much.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think STL is pretty high on Dunn. Not sure that works... Especially given a ton of teams need goalies and they could probably ship out Allen for free for a team that wants to take a chance on him.

I'm sure you're right about Dunn. You are probably also right about Allen, though they might have to retain a little on his salary. He played pretty well this year so should not be too hard to move.

Allen 25% retained + 3rd for someone's 4th. Replacement backup + Allen's 25% = 2mil. Approximately 77.2 mil committed for 20 players. Sign Dunn to a bridge deal, 2x3 and they have 80.2 spent on 21 players. They would need to sign a 7th D man for ~1 mil or less and be just under a cap of 81.5 with a 22 man roster. It works for them, but man it is tight. Our offer might still be a viable alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad