Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How is Dube a solution for the Jets' 2C in the near term? He gets outscored by Copp, and Copp has been a much, much better play driver...

Harkins had a better rookie NHL season than Dube, too.

View attachment 346971

Hey, it was just a suggested possibility. Any suggested trade is dependent on the acquired player passing inspection by the scouts. I assume that includes looking at their advanced stats.

I think there is something wrong with those stats. Copp is not that good at 2C. If that is a realistic representation we already have our 2C and he is very good. Do you really believe that Copp is the long term solution at 2C?

Harkins is more than a year older than Dube and Dube made his NHL debut a year earlier. So 2 years less development. Not really apples to apples.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Dube is a year and a half younger. Roslovic being more proven is a negative, not a positive. He is more proven not to be a C. He is more proven not to be a top 6 player. Not completely proven at either of those things, but more so than Dube.

I'm assuming Dube is a C. IDK. If he is not, then I have no real interest.
Dube over Copp at 2C makes no sense.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't usually post much another nice dream would be tyson berry. There is no way Toronto can sign him back and he would be the perfect replacement for buff. Maybe he will be asking too much though.
Personally I wouldn’t want Barrie or his cap hit, we already have Josh and Pionk who add that offensive aspect......they both are smaller D. Barrie is weak defensively and smaller D. I would sooner have a bigger body defensive D like Cernak or Samberg (if he’s ready for a top 4 role).
As far as smaller offensive bent d-men go, I prefer Torey Krug to Tyson Barrie, he's better defensively and is more physical, even for a small guy. But we don't need a guy like Krug who'll get a big contract on the left with Samberg and Heinola coming. Barrie is basically Pionk with more experience but weaker in his own end, not to mention probably more expensive.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Pionk was IMHO if not ta least one of our best players thi season. Apart from his soft cross ice PP passes, I'm in love with his overall game.

Put him next to Hamonic/Samberg or another big stay at home dman next season and enjoy the show.

Pionk was better then Jomo IMHO untill we traded for Demelo.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
It'd probably take something like JMo, Ehlers and a 1st.

Barkov is a great player and you have to give to get, but 0 chance I'd move 8 years of JoMo, 5 years of Ehlers, and a 1st for 2 years of Barkov. Especially since removing JoMo seriously hinders the teams ability to compete in the 2 year window the team is guaranteed to have Barkov.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Barkov is a great player and you have to give to get, but 0 chance I'd move 8 years of JoMo, 5 years of Ehlers, and a 1st for 2 years of Barkov. Especially since removing JoMo seriously hinders the teams ability to compete in the 2 year window the team is guaranteed to have Barkov.
Neither would I but I was just saying what it would take.
I'd easily pay that if he were signed long term for 9m or under.
Barkov is a pipe dream. We'd get Cirelli before we got Barkov.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
That would gut this team far too much. Easy pass for me.
Only stating what it would cost.
Barkov is only signed for two seasons past this one so I wouldn't be interested until he could be re-signed.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Neither would I but I was just saying what it would take.
I'd easily pay that if he were signed long term for 9m or under.
Barkov is a pipe dream. We'd get Cirelli before we got Barkov.

Agree that I would pay more for an extended Barkov. But that's really the point. What a player would cost to acquire (and what our guys our worth as well), fluctuates depending on their contracts.

So there really isn't one value as to what it would take. What it would take to get Barkov with 2 years left to UFA is different than what it would take to get him coming with a good long term deal.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
When Bergeron and Kopitar retire Barkov will become the leagues best two way centerman. Don't think he is or will be available. Hoffman and Dadonov on the other hand..

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
How about Joe Thornton at 2C for a season? Not sure how much he has left in him but him feeding Laine could be fun. Might be too slow though. He wouldn't be expensive.

or Jason Spezza?

I get that these aren't long term solutions.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
How about Joe Thornton at 2C for a season? Not sure how much he has left in him but him feeding Laine could be fun. Might be too slow though. He wouldn't be expensive.

or Jason Spezza?

I get that these aren't long term solutions.

Think you nailed it, Thornton is too slow and I see no reason for him to sign anywhere but San Jose. If that’s not in the cards then he likely calls it’s career.

Sounds like Leafs are interested in bringing Spezza back.

Like you said, neither are long term solutions and Jets should only be looking for a more permanent solution to align with the team’s core young players.

Reactions: hn777

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Think you nailed it, Thornton is too slow and I see no reason for him to sign anywhere but San Jose. If that’s not in the cards then he likely calls it’s career.

Sounds like Leafs are interested in bringing Spezza back.

Like you said, neither are long term solutions and Jets should only be looking for a more permanent solution to align with the team’s core young players.
I thought I read that Thornton was mad because he wasn't traded at the deadline after asking to be, or being okay with it. Marleau was sent to Pittsburgh and I'm pretty sure he wanted to go too for a chance to win.

I agree, a long term solution is better, but if that doesn't exist, I'd rather try someone cheap like Thornton. Spezza's probably not good enough at this point, but I've always liked him for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad