Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Is the team ( jets) with the least amount of roster trades since their return going to go against everything they have ever done and make a roster trade for a 2nd line center?

I highly doubt it. The most logical answer for next year is sign demelo and one more defenseman to help use scrape by until the kids develop.

I dont see a world where we get a 2nd line center and fix our D in the same off season.

We are talking about a GM that was forced into his only two significant trades.

One could argue that kane and trouba would still be here if they didnt want out and we would have zero major trades since the jets return.

With the uncertainty surrounding the cap and everything else with covid I could see Chevy making no deals while everything stabilizes.

My honest bet is we sign demelo and add one more defenseman, and it takes this year and next to get back to contender status and we compete for the last couple years of sheif and whelers deals.

Hope everyone staying safe and we get some good news soon! Go jets go

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How about someone like Dillon Dube from the Calgary Flames? Can’t imagine the cost to be too high. He hasn’t quite broken out yet but put him with Ehlers and Laine and he would.

They are pretty much desperate for RW. Roslovic +. They are also pretty hard up for D, especially RHD. They have 5 UFA Dman on their roster right now. Maybe they retain Brodie and Hamonic. Otherwise they are in trouble at D. Add Left shot, right side Niku? They also need quantity. By my quick scan they have SFA in their system and even if they sign all of their RFA's they have only 16 roster players under contract for next year. They need a few warm bodies.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is the team ( jets) with the least amount of roster trades since their return going to go against everything they have ever done and make a roster trade for a 2nd line center?

I highly doubt it. The most logical answer for next year is sign demelo and one more defenseman to help use scrape by until the kids develop.

I dont see a world where we get a 2nd line center and fix our D in the same off season.

We are talking about a GM that was forced into his only two significant trades.

One could argue that kane and trouba would still be here if they didnt want out and we would have zero major trades since the jets return.

With the uncertainty surrounding the cap and everything else with covid I could see Chevy making no deals while everything stabilizes.

My honest bet is we sign demelo and add one more defenseman, and it takes this year and next to get back to contender status and we compete for the last couple years of sheif and whelers deals.

Hope everyone staying safe and we get some good news soon! Go jets go

If all we do is sign DeMelo, we will need to sign 2 more D men, unless we go with just 6 D and Dahlstrom is a regular.

I tend to agree that much more than that is unlikely - But - Chevy has been willing to trade important assets at the TD, when he thought circumstances required it. Right now circumstances want a C acquisition, IMO. So maybe Chevy shows us another side. I'm not holding my breath, but it is possible until it isn't.

I just hope he doesn't stop short of signing DeMelo. He transformed our D after we got him. Sign him Sbisa and Beaulieu. I think we can be competitive with our makeshift 2C.

Reactions: Hunter368

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They are pretty much desperate for RW. Roslovic +. They are also pretty hard up for D, especially RHD. They have 5 UFA Dman on their roster right now. Maybe they retain Brodie and Hamonic. Otherwise they are in trouble at D. Add Left shot, right side Niku? They also need quantity. By my quick scan they have SFA in their system and even if they sign all of their RFA's they have only 16 roster players under contract for next year. They need a few warm bodies.

I am not sure why it would cost Roslovic plus. They are a year apart in age and Roslovic is more proven as an NHL player. Also does Dube play center or wing as a pro?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Barkov or Eichel plz, go big or go home

Eichel is more valuable then any single player the Jets have by a fair margin, especially if you exclude contracts........its just our team is better, management is better.

Barkov, Florida wants to maybe shake things up with their core........would be very expensive to get even though he's only two years away from UFA.

Can't see either being a realistic target......nice to dream though.

Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Eichel is more valuable then any single player the Jets have by a fair margin, especially if you exclude contracts........its just our team is better, management is better.

Barkov, Florida wants to maybe shake things up with their core........would be very expensive to get even though he's only two years away from UFA.

Yea when was the last time NHL teams swapped point per game #1 centers in the middle of their prime years? That was just a random mailbag question in an Athletic Article that has somehow got legs because people are bored.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015

Barkov Please I would give up our first plus Ehlers .

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am not sure why it would cost Roslovic plus. They are a year apart in age and Roslovic is more proven as an NHL player. Also does Dube play center or wing as a pro?

Dube is a year and a half younger. Roslovic being more proven is a negative, not a positive. He is more proven not to be a C. He is more proven not to be a top 6 player. Not completely proven at either of those things, but more so than Dube.

I'm assuming Dube is a C. IDK. If he is not, then I have no real interest.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Dube is a year and a half younger. Roslovic being more proven is a negative, not a positive. He is more proven not to be a C. He is more proven not to be a top 6 player. Not completely proven at either of those things, but more so than Dube.

I think it is a positive differentiating factor when the player with more games has proven himself to be a quality young player while the other hasn't.

Roslovic:

180 gp 26g 41a 67p
5 on 5 p/60 1.61
50.2 CF% 1.3 CF% rel

Dube:

70 gp 7g 14a 21p
5 on 5 p/60 1.42
46.7 CF% -4.7 CF% rel

So essentially Roslovic has proven himself to be a quality third line winger that can drive possession to a small degree vs Dube who has been a drag on possession and scores at a lower rate.

When there is that degree of difference between the players I think the more proven one is worth more.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014

Pretty much a wash between both.
There's no rationalizing that Dube is worth more than Roslovic.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it is a positive differentiating factor when the player with more games has proven himself to be a quality young player while the other hasn't.

Roslovic:

180 gp 26g 41a 67p
5 on 5 p/60 1.61
50.2 CF% 1.3 CF% rel

Dube:

70 gp 7g 14a 21p
5 on 5 p/60 1.42
46.7 CF% -4.7 CF% rel

So essentially Roslovic has proven himself to be a quality third line winger that can drive possession to a small degree vs Dube who has been a drag on possession and scores at a lower rate.

When there is that degree of difference between the players I think the more proven one is worth more.

I think you are completely missing the point - twice. 1) Yes, Roslo has proven more, but he appears to be proving a limitation. Dube may follow suit, or not. The potential is still higher simply because he is less tried. 2) It is all about position. I don't care anything about Dube unless the scouts are strongly confident he will be a C.

If he is not a C then I would agree that Roslovic has proven more and is worth more, if for no other reason, just being a RH shot. For 2C, I prefer a LH shot. Better balance in the top 6 and a better fit for Laine. Not a big deal but more than nothing.

As far as trade price is concerned, when we are the one opening the subject, we have to be providing some incentive to the other team. The kind of add I am suggesting is only Niku value, which is pretty low.

The important factors here are, what do the scouts think of Dube and what would it take to get him if they like him? If he passes the scouting test and if you can get him for less, go ahead. I'm not going to fight you to pay more.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pretty much a wash between both.
There's no rationalizing that Dube is worth more than Roslovic.

Unless he can make it at 2C and Roslovic can't. Right now though, we don't know either of those things for certain.

In Roslo's case, it is leaning towards not. In Dube's case, I really don't know. I need more information. Maybe Gustafsson has a better chance of that. I don't think so but he might surprise me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Unless he can make it at 2C and Roslovic can't. Right now though, we don't know either of those things for certain.

In Roslo's case, it is leaning towards not. In Dube's case, I really don't know. I need more information. Maybe Gustafsson has a better chance of that. I don't think so but he might surprise me.

Well I would say we don't know with Roslovoc either as he has barely played C at the NHL level. The few times he has he has looked just fine if not good.

I doubt Maurice would treat Dube much differently then he has Roslovic, Harkins, Petan etc when breaking them into the team. Dube would almost assuredly start on the wing before there would be a thought of moving him to center.

Reactions: bennylundholm

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

someone on the Flames board said he’s primarily been a centre at the pro level but I cannot speak to that personally.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

How is Dube a solution for the Jets' 2C in the near term? He gets outscored by Copp, and Copp has been a much, much better play driver...

Harkins had a better rookie NHL season than Dube, too.

upload_2020-5-21_15-49-10.png

spellchecker45

Oct 3, 2011

I don't usually post much another nice dream would be tyson berry. There is no way Toronto can sign him back and he would be the perfect replacement for buff. Maybe he will be asking too much though.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't usually post much another nice dream would be tyson berry. There is no way Toronto can sign him back and he would be the perfect replacement for buff. Maybe he will be asking too much though.

Personally I wouldn’t want Barrie or his cap hit, we already have Josh and Pionk who add that offensive aspect......they both are smaller D. Barrie is weak defensively and smaller D. I would sooner have a bigger body defensive D like Cernak or Samberg (if he’s ready for a top 4 role).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well I would say we don't know with Roslovoc either as he has barely played C at the NHL level. The few times he has he has looked just fine if not good.

I doubt Maurice would treat Dube much differently then he has Roslovic, Harkins, Petan etc when breaking them into the team. Dube would almost assuredly start on the wing before there would be a thought of moving him to center.

Yeah, probably true, on all counts.

Roslovic did not do very well - in very limited opportunity - at 2C. I really liked the 2015 line this year. IMO, that should be our 3rd line going forward - at least until it stops working. And that had Roslo at C.

If Roslovic can't convince Maurice to let him play 3C then he certainly isn't going to make it at 2C. But Dube is similar enough that he probably would not get any better opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad