Speculation: Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Speculation, 2019-20 - Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I know one is a defenseman and one is a forward, and one is a year away from free agency and one is a few weeks, but how is Jacob trouba not worth more than Skinner's 9 million dollars per year?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I know one is a defenseman and one is a forward, and one is a year away from free agency and one is a few weeks, but how is Jacob trouba not worth more than Skinner's 9 million dollars per year?

I hope Trouba and company won’t be using the awful contract as comparison.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Skinner scored 40 goals last year and had 37 two years before that but is typically a 30 goal guy. I think it's more an indication of what a Laine contract would look like than a Trouba comp.

Skinner's a 50-60 point guy but can put the puck in the net so he gets a monster deal. 101 goals over the last 3 years for Skinner vs 110 for Laine.

Laine paced 70 points per 82 games his first 2 seasons and then dropped to 50 points and 30 goals with a half season slump included in there. Did he get figured out or will he rebound. It's risky because his poor play happened going into the negotiation but if he had gone 70, 50, 70 for points everyone would feel much better about the big money deal.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
The only rationale might be a cheaper and equivalent replacement for Connor. Acquiring Zucker would also likely require fewer assets than Connor would fetch.

But that seems way too complicated to be feasible.
This is my outlandish thought as well, I also like the idea of another right handed winger to play opposite of Laine if they are committed to letting him play on the left side.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not a lot of info really IMO.. The one thing I thought was notable was:

Mostly just cause it always surprises me to see fans of Canadian teams pitch trades for him.

I still don't buy the idea that he doesn't want any Canadian team. I think if a Mongolian team met his criteria, he would sign there. It is just that no Mongolian, or Canadian team meets his criteria - with just a faintly possible exception for Toronto.

We don't know his criteria. We have some guesses with varying degrees of probability behind them. The most likely one is proximity to GF. It happens that no Canadian team has that one. But neither do most American teams. That is about geography, not nationality.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's easy. :laugh: Skinner isn't worth 9 mil. You might better ask just how is Trouba not worth more than Skinner?

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
The only rationale might be a cheaper and equivalent replacement for Connor. Acquiring Zucker would also likely require fewer assets than Connor would fetch.

But that seems way too complicated to be feasible.
Perhaps semi complicated but it is feasible.

The constant position that Winnipeg doesn't need or would not want wingers in a deal is so short sighted. All it means is that more than one move is needed to refresh the make up of the team. As you mention the net result has to make sense for Winnipeg and a multiple move off season may be what has to happen to do that the best way for the Jets.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

It's rather simple actually. Trouba is an RFA. The Skinner deal is all UFA years. UFAs cannot be used as contract comparisons for RFAs.

Someone asked the same thing weeks ago regarding Laine and Connor and the same reply was given with examples of the most recent contracts that would be comparables to them.

Go to cap friendly. Within the sorting system you can search for defensemen making over $6 million. You can even add to your search by handedness if you prefer.

I'm not on my desktop or I'd share a link with you. Off the top of my head Dumba and Lindell were the most recent comparables and neither were over $6 million.

Should Trouba be signing for a term longer than a year, by all means UFA years can apply, but the chances prelim that's happening in Winnipeg.

This doesn't mean he can't ask for more, but there's no history of that occurring and if an arbitrator is involved the most relevant contract wouldbe Dumba

Reactions: GNP

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It's rather simple actually. Trouba is an RFA. The Skinner deal is all UFA years. UFAs cannot be used as contract comparisons for RFAs.

Someone asked the same thing weeks ago regarding Laine and Connor and the same reply was given with examples of the most recent contracts that would be comparables to them.

Go to cap friendly. Within the sorting system you can search for defensemen making over $6 million. You can even add to your search by handedness if you prefer.

I'm not on my desktop or I'd share a link with you. Off the top of my head Dumba and Lindell were the most recent comparables and neither were over $6 million.

Should Trouba be signing for a term longer than a year, by all means UFA years can apply, but the chances prelim that's happening in Winnipeg.

This doesn't mean he can't ask for more, but there's no history of that occurring and if an arbitrator is involved the most relevant contract wouldbe Dumba

They absolutely can be compared and must be. UFA contract form the basis for RFA deals. What a player could earn as a UFA is the starting point for an RFA deal. Then discounting begins for the restricted nature.

For one year of control, there would be minimal discounting. And market seem to indicate a reduction in the discount as well as the market preference for youth increases.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm waiting for news......!

tenor.gif

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy is a grinder. I don't expect anything major to happen until he's explored all options, probably not until the draft.

For the RFAs, I expect those negotiations to go through the summer, as they likely will for most of the high profile RFAs this year.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Heard on 1290 today, rumblings about Trouba could be traded before the end of this weekend.

Athletic also has article on Trouba possible trades.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
They absolutely can be compared and must be. UFA contract form the basis for RFA deals. What a player could earn as a UFA is the starting point for an RFA deal. Then discounting begins for the restricted nature.

For one year of control, there would be minimal discounting. And market seem to indicate a reduction in the discount as well as the market preference for youth increases.

With regards to arbitration, UFA's can never be used as comparable to RFA's. Its in the CBA. Article 12.9 G (iii) 2. (B)

If player agents want to attempt to compare their clients to UFA during contract negotiations, they are welcome to try, but you'd be hard pressed to find a GM that will willingly comply.

The modern history of NHL is based on "cheap RFA years" & "purchasing UFA years."

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Do you remember which 1290 show this was speculated on?

On the way home from work today, between 440-515 pm or so. They quoted some sports writer who said it, it wasn't one of the top 2-3 hockey guys but it was a known writer. Sorry can't remember his name, maybe someone else also heard it.

Reactions: Jetsfan79

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
On the way home from work today, between 440-515 pm or so. They quoted some sports writer who said it, it wasn't one of the top 2-3 hockey guys but it was a known writer. Sorry can't remember his name, maybe someone else also heard it.
It was Rick Ralph. He mentioned Craig Custance’s article and it stated there's whispers a trade could happen as early as this weekend.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It was Rick Ralph. He mentioned Craig Custance’s article and it stated there's whispers a trade could happen as early as this weekend.
Right. Great scoop. It could happen as early as this weekend. Or not. The Winnipeg media will be the last to know. But we've got Wiebe's Golf World and Ralph's Pillow and Toth's hot takes to keep us amused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad