Speculation: Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Speculation, 2019-20 - Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@cbcwpg
I could see the Jets entertaining offers for Ehlers, and I wouldn't be upset at all depending upon the return. I like Ehlers, but I don't like his 21 career playoffs games with ZERO goals. Sure it's only been 2 seasons of playoff hockey, but is he going to be a career playoff ghost?

As Boston and St.Louis have shown this season, you need to build your team for the playoffs, which is a totally different game than the regular season...

I get sick to death of seeing this. Small sample size .. Small sample size .. Small sample size! If Ehlers wasn't our best player this PO he was damn close to it. He played very well. His shots didn't go in. His teammates didn't finish for him. Last season he at least got A's, but this year? 6 games - Small sample size. Look at his play, not just the box score.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@WPGChief
Sounds like everyone is getting a bit antsy and swinging for the fences here.

At this point in time, I’m only anticipating three trades/“moves” from the Jets this offseason:
  • A resolution to the Trouba saga
  • A cap relief move (likely either moving Perreault or Kulikov)
  • A move to address locker room issues for the long term
As such, I only anticipate two or three current Jets not being with the team next year: Trouba and Perreault/Kulikov, and maybe a “surprise” one if all rumours are to be believed. I doubt Chevy is willing to throw in more names than that unless heavily pushed for in a deal he can’t refuse.

Names are always flying around this time of year just because GMs are doing their due diligence and asking. I don’t think there’s anything more to it than that.

I'll add 1 name to your list - Roslovic - simply because he strikes me as a good trade chip who we already have a replacement for. Not a cap move, but an add to one of your 3 trades/moves that will enhance the return.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@surixon
Yeah Connor still has a ways to go before he's close to as good as Ehlers.

True - but we should also acknowledge KC's finish. 31 & 34 G in his first 2 years in the NHL is pretty outstanding.

Those numbers though will enhance his trade value and add to the cost of his long term contract. I don't want to lose either one but if we must move one I would part with Connor every time.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Howard Chuck
Ehlers is another player (like Laine) that I can see going to another team where they take full advantage of his extreme talent, and he becomes a very highly coveted player. We have a few players who are not being used to their full potential. Who in the league has speed and zone entries like Ehlers? Very few players.

I still think an elite center between Ehlers and Laine would be one of the best lines in the league.

ESL

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Mods on vacation at Chevy’s cottage.
upload_2019-6-12_17-31-37.jpeg

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Thoughts on above:

June 15th

-Were the Jets to use the first window, they'd be unable to deal Trouba until after an arbitration hearing & tie their own hands for any draft day deal. Conversely however were the Jets to choose this option, Trouba is unable to talk to other teams until the arbitration hearing July 20-August 4.

June 21st

-.....draft day deal. In all likelihood Trouba gets traded, but if not...

June 25

-Jets make a QO to retain rights.

June 26

-Trouba will certainly talk to teams during the interview period, providing the Jets didn't choose arbitration, but if his goal is to get out of Winnipeg, signing an offer sheet opens the door to Winnipeg matching.

-People (including myself) have been worried about a one year offer sheet, as matching that offer eliminates the option of being able to trade Trouba for a year, and walks him straight to UFA

-Jets could take the compensation
($6,341,153 – $8,454,871: 1x 1st, 1x 2nd, 1x 3rd-round-pick)
($8,454,872 – $10,568,589: 2x 1st , 1x 2nd, 1x 3rd-round pick)
($10,568,590: 4x 1st-round-pick)
...& use the $7+ million saved wherever it best addresses the Jets needs. (perhaps a UFA signing or towards our own RFA signings

July 5
-Trouba could easily elect arbitration, but in a similar situation (Johansen) Overhardt passed on this option. Teams can only take a player to team elected arbitration once it their career. Overhardt passing the ball to Chevy on this, eliminates any future team from employing this tactic on Trouba

July 6
-If it goes this far, Chevy has no option other than team selected arbitration. This will guarantee Trouba attends training camp, eliminating any chance of a hold-out.
-waiting this long comes with the risk of an offer sheet. Is a year of Trouba worth more than any draft day deal he can conjure up?

July20-August 4
-arbitration hearing. Only a 1 year deal can be awarded.

This game is finally nearing it's end, but there's still plenty of options on the table.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree, but have pretty much given up that we will ever see it.

I wish I had taken a screen shot of the first Laine season where a couple months in, each one of ESL was leading in points, goals and assists with each of their smiling faces on the NHL website. I remember thinking how bright the future looked for us.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I get sick to death of seeing this. Small sample size .. Small sample size .. Small sample size! If Ehlers wasn't our best player this PO he was damn close to it. He played very well. His shots didn't go in. His teammates didn't finish for him. Last season he at least got A's, but this year? 6 games - Small sample size. Look at his play, not just the box score.

I think Ehlers looked okayish, and he did sometimes seem to have trouble taking over games like he can vs the upped physicality. My concern level is super low however. Like you say sample size but guy also strikes me as pretty driven, and he added quite a bit of physicality and decent defensive play in the regular season this year compared to previous years. I think he has another step forward coming and he'll have a good playoffs next year.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Ehlers looked okayish, and he did sometimes seem to have trouble taking over games like he can vs the upped physicality. My concern level is super low however. Like you say sample size but guy also strikes me as pretty driven, and he added quite a bit of physicality and decent defensive play in the regular season this year compared to previous years. I think he has another step forward coming and he'll have a good playoffs next year.

Funny because my take on the Ehlers vs KC in the playoffs was that I thought that KC gave up opportunities to get the puck in favor of avoiding hits. Ehlers will more often take the punishment.

I thought KC was pretty timid when the going got rough.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Funny because my take on the Ehlers vs KC in the playoffs was that I thought that KC gave up opportunities to get the puck in favor of avoiding hits. Ehlers will more often take the punishment.

I thought KC was pretty timid when the going got rough.

That's how I saw it as well. I definitely wouldn't mind some more size and physicality which is why I am advocating for Patrick, the kid has skill and plays with a chip on his shoulders. If he develops as I think he can then I see an O'Rielly type guy and we all know how well he has been for the Blues this year in the PO's.

Other then that I think we just need to let our kids find their way. Laine once he fills out should be a physical force, especially if he plays like he did these playoffs. Scheifele and Wheeler can more then hold their own. I see Vesalinen adding some more size and strength.

On defense I think we need another two-way dmen like Morrissey to help out defensively. Right now we have either all out offensive guys or all out defensive guys. It is why I am advocating a deal for Murray as he is in the JoMo mold. Hamoic would also help with the physicality and defensive play. Plus he is ok offensively.

Trade Belieau for Kassian

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Connor Patrick Wheeler
Vesalinen - Little - Kassian
xxxx- Copp - Appelton

Morrissey - Hamonic
Murray - Buff
Niku - Poolman

Morrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad