Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Time for some pipe dreaming.

JT leaving for Long Island for Toronto has me wondering if Mark Stone might want to do the same when he’s a UFA. Bringing a cup back to TO was a strong motivator for JT. Well how about being a part of bringing a cup back to your home town, after the team left for 15 years.

Stone and Scheif have great chemistry, too. Wheeler will be 32 in August, and 33 when his next contract kicks in.

When does Stone become a UFA? I assume it’s next off season since he is 26 now and will be 27 next May.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

JT leaving for Long Island for Toronto has me wondering if Mark Stone might want to do the same when he’s a UFA. Bringing a cup back to TO was a strong motivator for JT. Well how about being a part of bringing a cup back to your home town, after the team left for 15 years.

Stone and Scheif have great chemistry, too. Wheeler will be 32 in August, and 33 when his next contract kicks in.

Are you suggesting letting Wheeler walk then signing Stone next summer?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Are you suggesting letting Wheeler walk then signing Stone next summer?

Long term that’s actually a brilliant idea, he’s pretty much a version of Wheeler just 6 years younger. He would give us the best long term Wing core in the league gauranteed(while we are most likely to have that anyways with Connor, Ehlers and Laine he’d make us so much better).

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
don't wait get him now. Give them next year's first, Petan and Mathieu Perreault.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Colour me as an insufferable Stone apologist if that happens. I freaking love the guy.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He has one season before he is eligible to become an UFA unless he signs for more than one year.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He has one season before he is eligible to become an UFA unless he signs for more than one year.

I would be surprised if he sticks around Ottawa. They will probably dangle the captaincy as part of the negotiations but why would a 26 year old want to blow off his prime years on a team that can’t even start a rebuild properly this year because they gave up a potential lottery pick. That is before factoring in the complete gong show the organization has become lately.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would be surprised if he sticks around Ottawa. They will probably dangle the captaincy as part of the negotiations but why would a 26 year old want to blow off his prime years on a team that can’t even start a rebuild properly this year because they gave up a potential lottery pick. That is before factoring in the complete gong show the organization has become lately.
If he played for the jets he wouldn’t have to keep his eyes out for Buff :)

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Colour me as an insufferable Stone apologist if that happens. I freaking love the guy.

It doesn’t make allot of sense cap wise or positional need wise (Wheeler Laine) but I am an irrationally massive Mark Stone fan and that got worse when I watched him play with Schief at the worlds. They were magic together.

Reactions: SLAYER

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Oh here we go. The irrational dream for a Manitoba kid to play on the team.

At least this time it’s actually a good player and not someone everyone is trying to pidgeonhole into the squad.

That's the ultimative point. I'd love to get Stone compared to all those Winnipeg born guys that have been talked about in previous years.

Reactions: ps241

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Oh here we go. The irrational dream for a Manitoba kid to play on the team.

At least this time it’s actually a good player and not someone everyone is trying to pidgeonhole into the squad.

I'm not sure it's irrational. Trading Wheeler for Stone right now makes you worse next year, but arguably better for the 7 years after that. Likely better than re-signing Wheeler, or letting him walk. Deserves discussion. Ottawa probably wants a third team involved (to take Wheeler).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure it's irrational. Trading Wheeler for Stone right now makes you worse next year, but arguably better for the 7 years after that. Likely better than re-signing Wheeler, or letting him walk. Deserves discussion. Ottawa probably wants a third team involved (to take Wheeler).

Wheeler for Stone is not irrational. Wanting every Wpg or Man player out there for no better reason than where they grew up is irrational.

Reactions: Sweech and larmex99

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm not sure it makes us worse next season. I would wager that Stone is just as good if not better then Wheeler at the moment. He is definitely superior at ES. Wheeler probably fits better on the PP.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
Not sure if someone has already brought this up.. but I really wish the Jets went for Kari Lehtonen as their secondary for 2 - 3 years.. What do you guys think?

He is much better than Mason and given his situation he could be available for around 2,5 mil.. Could we afford him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad