Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It really depends on what happens to Trouba imo. I personally see no need for Stone on this team long term. If we got him for free in the summer then maybe but he is just more of what we have and o don't want to paint myself into a corner like how the Leafs have done with their forwards.

Also I don't feel we can afford to lose his speed from our forward group.
Stone would be imo the best winger on the team. Maybe Wheeler is better this year, but even that I'm not sure of.

If we are trading one of KC or Ehlers it better f***ing be KC. He's a good player, but Ehlers is clearly better and is locked in to a nice 6x6 deal. If KC wants a long-term deal after this year he's looking at 7+ based off of the Nylander extension.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Trade Ehlers or Connor and I'm going to start breaking things, no way do you trade up and coming and already here players for a guy who may or may not sign here after the season is over. Stone is a very good player, move some contracts in the off season and sign him as a ufa . That's called a win/win.
I don't think anybody is suggesting trading KC/Ehlers without a signed Stone coming back.

Even then, sign and trades virtually never happen in the NHL.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It also avoids one of our potential future pit falls. Do we really want to commit $16-$18 AAV to Laine and Connor who are currently awesome scoring wingers but neither can carry a line? You swap out slightly higher priced Stone for high priced Connor which balances out the possession and defensive short falls. I think our Top six gets much better with two killer pairs (Stone Laine....Wheeler Schief). We lose a step of speed and we get a bit older but Stone is squarely in Scheifele's age bracket and he may not be a burner but he is a dominant all around hockey player.

This is exactly where the versatility comes into play, Stone is one of the best wingers/2way forwards in the game, he has shown to carry garbage around him at ppg pace. You add a guy like that and it changes everything.

You change Connor to Stone and I'd consider the Jets as a much bigger Cup threat for his ability to get the 2nd line going, and of course for this season Chevy should be able to keep all the forwards in the lineup while adding Stone, having potential for 3 elite scoring lines with a mix of great 2way play.

At 26y he's at the perfect UFA age.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We havent seen Laine in his prime yet and we are trading him whilst his value at his lowest... remember when Seguin was traded at age 21 and the package included an elite 27 year old 70 pt 2-way winger? Id still take Seguin over the package that BOS got

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Ehlers-Shief-wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Connor-Roslo-Perrault
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Deadly

I think they really like Copp at 4C so probably

Ehlers-Schief-wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Perrault-Lowry-Tanev
Connor-Copp-Roslo

Then you blend the left wings as needed to provide a spark. That's right... a 30 goal scorer on the 4th line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stone would be imo the best winger on the team. Maybe Wheeler is better this year, but even that I'm not sure of.

If we are trading one of KC or Ehlers it better ****ing be KC. He's a good player, but Ehlers is clearly better and is locked in to a nice 6x6 deal. If KC wants a long-term deal after this year he's looking at 7+ based off of the Nylander extension.

No dissagrements on him being the best winger on the team. I just don't see the marginal gains of adding another elite winger to a team full of elite wingers is the best use of assets.

Also I'm really not in favor of distributing more of our cap space to players who will be in their 30's for the bulk of the contract. Stone right now is at his peak as a player and the numbers say he is likely going to plateau and then decline through his 30's. We already will have over 21 million locked up in 30 year old players in Wheeler, Little and Buff. We don't need to take on more risk adding yet another player.

I am quite fine paying our kids who are on the upswing. I think it is a much safer bet that they will be a better investment. Also both Connor and Laine are too talented not to learn how to drive their own lines imo.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems to be a lot of talk on here about the Jet's trying to acquire Stone ?? I think Stone would be a nice addition to any team -- however I think the Jet's really need speed and playmaking ability at the 2nd line center position. Answer is Duchene, providing he doesn't have a lot of the rumored character flaws. The guy is "talented."

I'm beginning to think I might rather have Hayes. He is having a very good season. Doesn't score as many goals as Duchene but he would likely be on a line with a couple of very good goal scorers. Would not cost as much to get as what is being thrown around elsewhere for Duchene.

Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers-Shief-wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Connor-Roslo-Perrault
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Deadly
I still think Duchene fits the bill a bit better, albeit Stone is easily a better all-around player. I just think having a robust C group is paramount during the POs.

Sid-Malkin-Bonino
Backs-Kuzy-Eller
Kopitar-Carter-Richards

Scheifele-Duchene-Little :)

Chicago bucks the trend a bit though lol

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
No dissagrements on him being the best winger on the team. I just don't see the marginal gains of adding another elite winger to a team full of elite wingers is the best use of assets.

Also I'm really not in favor of distributing more of our cap space to players who will be in their 30's for the bulk of the contract. Stone right now is at his peak as a player and the numbers say he is likely going to plateau and then decline through his 30's. We already will have over 21 million locked up in 30 year old players in Wheeler, Little and Buff. We don't need to take on more risk adding yet another player.

I am quite fine paying our kids who are on the upswing. I think it is a much safer bet that they will be a better investment. Also both Connor and Laine are too talented not to learn how to drive their own lines imo.

Stone is the kind of player you find room for, in my opinion. Also he's 26, it's not like Blake Wheeler who's 32 and we'll be paying way too much money until the day he retires.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry, but I just don't see a 25-31 range pick in a weak draft as fast and loose with our future. Other than losing out a bit on the fun of draft day, you are most likely looking at kid battling for a bottom of the roster spot in 4-5 years. By then we will have passed through the peak of our contention window. We are currently in the unique position of still having all our young drafted core still on the roster along with the 2 best players left over from the Atlanta days. By next season we are likely in the position of having to move Trouba due to contract status, and odds are it will be a futures rich deal so Chevy can recoup some value.

That isn't recouping value. That will be the return on Trouba. It will not be getting back whatever is used to grab a rental.

Are you among those with so much faith in Chevy's drafting that you think he can fill our holes from late in the later rounds, so late 1sts don't matter? No, you probably are not, but many here are.

OTOH, Chevy has done pretty well in the late first so far, getting Roslovic and Vesalainen. Our 1st last year ended up being Sandin and could have been Veleno. Both are looking pretty good so far. If our 1st this year could be as good as that group, it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would say its all about the money and a little about he market.

I consider us being a little less attractive a blessing. Honestly not much good happens at the annual July 1st national over payment day. The no trade issues are much more challenging to work around but you don't build a team through overpriced UFA's on July 1st.

Minnesota did. Oh ...... yeah. :laugh:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

If we are trading one of KC or Ehlers it better ****ing be KC. He's a good player, but Ehlers is clearly better and is locked in to a nice 6x6 deal. If KC wants a long-term deal after this year he's looking at 7+ based off of the Nylander extension.
I said all along we should have let Wheeler walk and sign Stone to replace him. Now for cap reasons that is no longer possible.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'm surprised to hear more rumors that Chevy is after Stone and not Duchene. Is the plan to play Wheeler at centre again? Or maybe Chevy is working on something big like Laine for a signed Stone?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He's just a different type of winger and I think it would be a mistake to just think of him as a winger, think of him as Bergeron type.

He'll drive the possession like crazy with ability to score at ppg, and he's only 26y. He's a guy who can be the guy on that 2nd line and make the #2C issue go away, now& longterm.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I dont think we've ever gone after a top 10 guy.

Didn't we go after Stastny when he signed with StL? He was among the top FAs that year. Jokinen was the top C available at the time, IIRC. I think we have been reportedly in on 1 or 2 more highly rated UFAs.

Seems as though we have been after C's forever. :laugh:

I share the opinion that being an unattractive FA destination has done us more good than harm.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
It also avoids one of our potential future pit falls. Do we really want to commit $16-$18 AAV to Laine and Connor who are currently awesome scoring wingers but neither can carry a line? You swap out slightly higher priced Stone for high priced Connor which balances out the possession and defensive short falls. I think our Top six gets much better with two killer pairs (Stone Laine....Wheeler Schief). We lose a step of speed and we get a bit older but Stone is squarely in Scheifele's age bracket and he may not be a burner but he is a dominant all around hockey player.
Stone is at Peak level right now... Connor is rising and will continue improving. Look where we are with Connor now.... can only keep going up

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That or some vets in the $1 million range who can contribute. I don’t necessarily think the Jets need to stock with ELC’s, it’s just a matter of how top heavy they let the roster get. Much like trading at the deadline that’s a choice. The Jets have a fair amount of flexibility with RFA’s.

A couple shrewd off-season trades can extend the window better than a 31st overall pick.

But to make those off-season trades you need to still have your high picks and good prospects. Even if the trades feature roster players, the picks and prospects are what boost the value of the return beyond the lateral type trade.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm surprised to hear more rumors that Chevy is after Stone and not Duchene. Is the plan to play Wheeler at centre again? Or maybe Chevy is working on something big like Laine for a signed Stone?
Laine isn't getting traded but if he was , Laine for Stone straight up isn't enough on Ottawa's end .

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I’m thinking Hayes is the play and a lot cheaper!
Ehlers -Scheif- Wheels
Connor - Hayes - Laine
Perrault - Lttle - Roslo (looked great LY)
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad