snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Took the words right out of my mouth. Was gonna say we fly through these

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
If the JETS are able to trade for and sign Stone this year, would you trade Wheeler by July 2019?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
If the JETS are able to trade for and sign Stone this year, would you trade Wheeler by July 2019?

What I would do is irrelevant. Chevy's not trading Wheeler unless someone offers him assets that he couldn't say no to.

However, my answer would be no. Only because I don't think the return would be worth it. We'll have a lot of good forwards, and not so much on D. And after next season, we probably lose Trouba. Wheeler would never fetch a top pairing D.

IF I were to trade someone, in the hopes of grabbing a top pairing D, then we are looking at Connor, Ehlers, or Laine. I think Laine would be the only asset who you wouldn't need to add to, as I think you would need to add for the other two.

To sum up: sign Stone, trade Laine for a top pairing D (+), trade Trouba for the best offer.

But I freely admit, I would suck as a GM; but at least I'd get a job offer by the Oilers. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ps241

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
What I would do is irrelevant. Chevy's not trading Wheeler unless someone offers him assets that he couldn't say no to.

However, my answer would be no. Only because I don't think the return would be worth it. We'll have a lot of good forwards, and not so much on D. And after next season, we probably lose Trouba. Wheeler would never fetch a top pairing D.

IF I were to trade someone, in the hopes of grabbing a top pairing D, then we are looking at Connor, Ehlers, or Laine. I think Laine would be the only asset who you wouldn't need to add to, as I think you would need to add for the other two.

To sum up: sign Stone, trade Laine for a top pairing D (+), trade Trouba for the best offer.

But I freely admit, I would suck as a GM; but at least I'd get a job offer by the Oilers. :sarcasm:

Not. Trading. Laine.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Jesus, these are going by quick.

50 MOOOORE.gif

:laugh:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I wouldn't as it seems like he sets the pace off the ice as well. Plus it's a really bad look to sign someone to an extension with a NMC and then trade them less than a year later and only moments before it kicks in. He's the Captain. He's staying.

Now that the Leafs and Chiarelli have tried to re-set the RFA market so that RFA years cost the same as UFA years it means that you're probably moving one of Laine or Connor if you signed Stone and also that your more likely to take a run at Stone as the contract cost will be equivalent. Ehlers contract is looking great at $6 vs what the other 2 may ask for so I don't think it will be him that's moved.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wouldn't as it seems like he sets the pace off the ice as well. Plus it's a really bad look to sign someone to an extension with a NMC and then trade them less than a year later and only moments before it kicks in. He's the Captain. He's staying.

Now that the Leafs and Chiarelli have tried to re-set the RFA market so that RFA years cost the same as UFA years it means that you're probably moving one of Laine or Connor if you signed Stone and also that your more likely to take a run at Stone as the contract cost will be equivalent. Ehlers contract is looking great at $6 vs what the other 2 may ask for so I don't think it will be him that's moved.
This looking bad thing I disagree with. Matthews has shown that players just want to be paid. This idea organizations by being loyal to the players will earn their loyalty is outdated as players aren't giving discounts they are looking for top dollar.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not. Trading. Laine.

I think this is something very few teams on the precipice of greatness really never look into. Would we really miss Laine even as a 50 goal scorer? We dont seem to be at the moment. If anything hes a liability. His return in a trade could set us up for years upon years of contention. Hed certainly fetch more than Ehlers or Connor alone.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This looking bad thing I disagree with. Matthews has shown that players just want to be paid. This idea organizations by being loyal to the players will earn their loyalty is outdated as players aren't giving discounts they are looking for top dollar.

The Leafs also have shown that they really could care less about their players. I think anyone who plays for them knows that both the business and the fans are pretty ruthless there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think this is something very few teams on the precipice of greatness really never look into. Would we really miss Laine even as a 50 goal scorer? We dont seem to be at the moment. If anything hes a liability. His return in a trade could set us up for years upon years of contention. Hed certainly fetch more than Ehlers or Connor alone.
Scoring is the most important talent in the NHL, so I'd be very reluctant to trade the best young scorer in the NHL.

Reactions: Snowman and Ducky10

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

No.

I think Wheeler knows he could've got 7 years at the same money or more on the open market. Repaying that loyalty by trading him would possibly affect the ability to cash in on it with other players.

In any case, his full NMC may have kick-in immediately when he extended--it often does.

Umm... Wheeler took a discount, in term. As did Byfuglien. Ehlers signed a year early.

Not every team will get treated by their players like the hardball Leafs still bathing in that Lamoriello-stink..

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No.

I think Wheeler knows he could've got 7 years at the same money or more on the open market. Repaying that loyalty by trading him would possibly affect the ability to cash in on it with other players.

In any case, his full NMC may have kick-in immediately when he extended--it often does.

Umm... Wheeler took a discount, in term. As did Byfuglien. Ehlers signed a year early.

Not every team will get treated by their players like the hardball Leafs still bathing in that Lamoriello-stink..
Ehlers contemporary Pasta 6.6 mil, Bergeron 6. something. Ehlers is not as good as those guys, signing 6 is not much of a discount. Did Wheeler take that discount of a year, because of loyalty, or because he has small kids which makes it really hard to move, he wanted to win a cup and the Jets are a serious contender. Same with Buff.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers contemporary Pasta 6.6 mil, Bergeron 6. something. Ehlers is not as good as those guys, signing 6 is not much of a discount. Did Wheeler take that discount of a year, because of loyalty, or because he has small kids which makes it really hard to move, he wanted to win a cup and the Jets are a serious contender. Same with Buff.
Bergeron is not a comparable. He signed his deal in 2013 when the cap was much lower. it was over 10% of the cap at the time of signing.

Ehlers stats prior to signing: 102 points in 154 gp
Pastrnak's: 123 points in 172 gp

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
His ability could set us up for years to come as well. Giving up a guy who already has the track record he does at 20 seems a bit reactionary .

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Minnesota really got kicked in the crotch with Koivu ripping up his knee and out for the year. Dumba may not be back as well this year.

Too bad Minnesota is still in the playoff hunt cause I sure would like to trade for Eric Staal. I think he would be just what the doctor ordered!

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the Jets can't sign Trouba, should they target Jake Gardiner as a UFA? Almost certain that they could offer considerably more than the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad