Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm leaning further and further to the "do something smaller" mindset instead of paying through the nose for one of the top trade targets.

A middle 6 center that costs a lot less then those rumored could still have a key effect for the team.
In a dream scenario it's some one who "clicks" with Laine and then you can do a whole bunch of things with the lines.
But assuming that is not the case a center that can drive a 4th line could free up Copp to play with Lowry.
I think the Copp / Lowry connection is the best version we can have of the checking line.

That frees up Perreault to return to the 4th line to screw up the other team with match ups.
MP + Trade acquisition + one of Roslovic / Appleton / Lemieux is pretty decent.

But unless we can get both the first AND second lines going it won't matter.

The Jets need to shoot a heck of a lot more than they do.
Their never ending search for the prettiest goals of all time lead to a lot of lost opportunities.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So hypothetically if the Sens wanted Ehlers, our 1st, Roslovic and Vesalainen for a signed Duchene AND Stone. Would you do it?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm leaning further and further to the "do something smaller" mindset instead of paying through the nose for one of the top trade targets.

A middle 6 center that costs a lot less then those rumored could still have a key effect for the team.
In a dream scenario it's some one who "clicks" with Laine and then you can do a whole bunch of things with the lines.
But assuming that is not the case a center that can drive a 4th line could free up Copp to play with Lowry.
I think the Copp / Lowry connection is the best version we can have of the checking line.

That frees up Perreault to return to the 4th line to screw up the other team with match ups.
MP + Trade acquisition + one of Roslovic / Appleton / Lemieux is pretty decent.

But unless we can get both the first AND second lines going it won't matter.

The Jets need to shoot a heck of a lot more than they do.
Their never ending search for the prettiest goals of all time lead to a lot of lost opportunities.

Most of the bolded is likely due to the teams mantra of only pursuing shots if they are high danger. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't some numbers guys in the Jets organization, along with Maurice, do a presentation on this? I'm probably wrong but I've heard Maurice talk about this before. That they studied it pretty heavily and it seems like you find more success in waiting for the right shot rather then flinging everything at the net. And that teams that fling everything at the net really don't score much more then teams who wait for the right shots. But they do get better corsi numbers.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think i see the Jets needing 1 good offensive center to play behind Little that can get 50 to 70 points a year.

Not just for this playoff but for next year and the following years.
Little will still be good and he will be a good soldier. At most he will be 50 point player then slowly drop more.

Laine and Ehlers are clearly superior offensive talent that already achieved higher point total than Little. It will limit the 2 wingers production (its already there).
They are not in McDavid or Crosby that can carry any deadweight. (Eventually they will be able to carry a line). Right nkw they will need someone that works and will maximize this (their talent). Not just for the players own accomplishment but for better overall play by the team forward............

It will be waste if the coach keeps pushing for something that dont really work.

Lots of moving part for next year.

Myers and Trouba and the young forwards.

Hope Chevy can put more pieces together.

Go Jets Go

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Most of the bolded is likely due to the teams mantra of only pursuing shots if they are high danger. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't some numbers guys in the Jets organization, along with Maurice, do a presentation on this? I'm probably wrong but I've heard Maurice talk about this before. That they studied it pretty heavily and it seems like you find more success in waiting for the right shot rather then flinging everything at the net. And that teams that fling everything at the net really don't score much more then teams who wait for the right shots. But they do get better corsi numbers.

That would explain allot wouldn’t it? I do know they also emphasize zone time as a priority. Honestly I don’t care as much on attack philosophy but I would prefer they don’t leak as many shots against especially those of the high danger variety.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Mckenzie reporting Jets are after Stone.

Pretty sure the Senators want Niku in the deal

Laine is slumping so bad right now that you have to consider it. If we got Borowecki with Stone, for Niku, 1st and prospect/pick I'd pull the trigger.

Solves two holes.

Stone on the 1st PP could be the difference. And the kind of player that takes pressure off Laine, which should get the monkey off his back.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So hypothetically if the Sens wanted Ehlers, our 1st, Roslovic and Vesalainen for a signed Duchene AND Stone. Would you do it?
Who else would be going out the door?

Stone and Duchene will be a 16m+ acquisition. Ehlers makes 6.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure why people keep saying I'd do this or that for a signed Stone or Duchene? It is the TD and they are UFA's. What high end UFA ever did a sign and trade at the TD? It just won't happen. The agent isn't going to be grinding out the most important contract of the guys career while the GM is sitting in another team's building trying to work out a TD package of pick/prospects. Never mind a player willing to be locked in before he even steps into another team's dressing room a couple months away from being able to call your own shots on the open market. Even if Stone went all Tavares and had visions of sleeping in his Jets jamies as a kid, he would only give Chevy an opportunity to convince him after a cup run and before national overpay day. Even then it very likely goes to the final week so he can hear what other teams have to offer before signing on the dotted line. Any deal now with be a pure rental, just like at any TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad