Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
IMO moving Connor would turn out to be one of the biggest mistakes this organization would ever do. The guy will be a perennial 35-45 goal scorer and do everything else right.

The very "last" thing you want to do, is trade guys like Connor, and or Ehlers. Teams try desperately to get young guys like this that can score, and do it all. We're very lucky to have both these talented guys, and Ehlers on a very reasonable contract. I'm also quite sure they can sign Connor in around the $ 7 mil mark. That's a lot better than signing guys like McDavid and Mathews or Towes in the $ 11 to $ 12 million dollar mark, and just eating your Cap space up,making it difficult to sign your "important" back fill players up.

The Leafs are now into Mathews for $ 11 mil-- Taveres -$ 12 mil --total = $ 23 million --that is 1/4 of your Cap space. This doesn't include Marner. This is exactly why Edmonton and the Hawks are suffering and not doing well in the standings. Not the way to go--I'd rather have the lot's of the upper middle guys like Scheif, Wheeler, Connor and Ehlers, and keep costs down , and talent evenly spread out. It's the winning formula !!!

I would not let either of these guys go, ( Ehlers or Connor) "unless" what was coming back -you just can't say no too, and that doesn't happen to often.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Even as a local boy who spent his whole life wanting to play for the Jets, you'd still take a look see what the open market thought you were worth before signing.

Buff didn't get to see what he was worth on the open market and July signings don't get to test run their new teams.

It was alleged that Mark would sign at a team friendly amount. I'm sure he and his agent have a pretty good idea what that looks like.

But the bottom line for me is no rentals unless the price is to low to pass up.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff didn't get to see what he was worth on the open market and July signings don't get to test run their new teams.

It was alleged that Mark would sign at a team friendly amount. I'm sure he and his agent have a pretty good idea what that looks like.

But the bottom line for me is no rentals unless the price is to low to pass up.
Players make a decision to sign on sellers because otherwise they get moved for futures and they want to stay where they are. Once you get moved as an elite rental you are already gone so there is no incentive to sign with the new team until you know what the open market place has pegged your worth at.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Players make a decision to sign on sellers because otherwise they get moved for futures and they want to stay where they are. Once you get moved as an elite rental you are already gone so there is no incentive to sign with the new team until you know what the open market place has pegged your worth at.

Agree to disagree. That's your perspective. Mine is different. I'm pretty sure some players would agree to an extension if they were excited about the opportunity (that wouldn't be there without the extension).

/end

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree to disagree. That's your perspective. Mine is different. I'm pretty sure some players would agree to an extension if they were excited about the opportunity (that wouldn't be there without the extension).

/end
Fair enough. Everyone doesn't always need to agree as long as we stay respectful and open to others ideas. Appreciate the discussion :)

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
This is a bit "IF" heavy but:

If Trouba leaves
If you can flip Connor for Pesce (patch up the RHD void)
If you can sign UFA stone.
Then you can maximize the trade value for Trouba without having to worry about getting D back.

It won't come to fruition but its fun to contemplate.
TBH, Id be happier keeping Connor and Trouba over Stone and Pesce

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
TBH, Id be happier keeping Connor and Trouba over Stone and Pesce
Unless of course that is not really an option and Trouba wants out. Then it would be Connor and a hole in your 1st d pairing, or Pesce and a hole in your top 6 you need to fill. Stone being better than Ves.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
One thing I don’t get is everyone saying the Mathews contract raises the bar for others coming off elc. The collective agreement hasn’t changed and no other gm is forced into a top heavy cap allocation like the leafs are pursuing. I doubt chevy changes his approach because of this at all.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Ken Weibe cites Brayden Schenn from the blues as an option for a TDL pickup. Thoughts?

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Schenn is playing wing, anyone know if that's where he's been all year?

One more year left, 27 y/o... think STL is ok with sending us centres every year? He's younger than ROR, but I guess ROR has a long term deal.

STL is also not out of it yet. Interesting possibility, though.

Edit: compared to Hayes
Dashboard_1.PNG

Last edited:

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017

The very "last" thing you want to do, is trade guys like Connor, and or Ehlers. Teams try desperately to get young guys like this that can score, and do it all. We're very lucky to have both these talented guys, and Ehlers on a very reasonable contract. I'm also quite sure they can sign Connor in around the $ 7 mil mark. That's a lot better than signing guys like McDavid and Mathews or Towes in the $ 11 to $ 12 million dollar mark, and just eating your Cap space up to sign your "important" back fill players up.

The Leafs are now into Mathews for $ 11 mil-- Taveres -$ 12 mil --total = $ 23 million --that is 1/4 of your Cap space. This doesn't include Marner. This is exactly why Edmonton and the Hawks are suffering and not doing well in the standings. Not the way to go--I'd rather have the lot's of the upper middle guys like Scheif, Wheeler, Connor and Ehlers, and keep costs down , and talent evenly spread out. It's the winning formula !!!

I would not let either of these guys go, ( Ehlers or Connor) "unless" what was coming back -you just can't say no too, and that doesn't happen to often.
I agree 100%. The nhl is getting faster and more skillful, and these are the areas that Connor and Ehlers excel in. Would be foolish to trade these two players.

Reactions: Heldig and GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Staal from the Wild could now be available, nice fit
I doubt the Wild will have much interest in helping us out barring a massive overpayment. Another thing to keep in mind is that Paul Fenton who was the Preds assistant GM last season is now the Wild GM. He would not wanna help us out against his old club.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I always though JMo would be good on the PP. So far he looks good, but the results have not been there. Curious to see if Buff back changes that.

Morrissey and PP1 were amazing earlier in the season when Buff was out short term.
They even left him there for about a game and a half.
Then the PP1 went 2 straight chances and it was back to Buff.

The lack of production recently has more to do with the unit as a whole then Buff.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
From what I remember Murat asking Maurice, it sounds like they are missing him most in terms how how much zone time the 1st unit is getting.

Ie: the entries, and how well he keeps the puck in.

That said that clapper is a solid threat a goalie has to respect.

He's pretty good at keeping the puck in but frankly Buff is pretty bad at entries.
I specifically mean his dump ins on the PP.
He does them a lot and they get cleared the majority of the time.
When he lugs the puck in himself and does his one armed sweep to or behind the net then he can be said to be productive on entries.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He's pretty good at keeping the puck in but frankly Buff is pretty bad at entries.
I specifically mean his dump ins on the PP.
He does them a lot and they get cleared the majority of the time.
When he lugs the puck in himself and does his one armed sweep to or behind the net then he can be said to be productive on entries.

I love it when Buff does that one armed sweep behind the net -- opens a lot of ice up and allows other guys to get in position. He should do that more often. He's as strong with 1 arm, as most guys are with 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad