Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Adding a defenseman somewhere between a middling #2 and a higher-end #3 improved a powerhouse's Cup odds

a) by TWO (2) percentage points,
b) from TEN (10) percent
c) to TWELVE (12) percent

Now, excuse me when I remain skeptical of adding expensive rentals being a good idea in any way. Keep in mind that the Leafs will get another season out of Muzzin too, and that Muzzin literally addresses their biggest weakness.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
There's a reason I'm hoping Chevy makes moves to add depth piece(s) only, and hanging onto our 1st.

I was ok trading a 1st last year, simply because we hadn't won a playoff game yet. But now, we need to hang onto our higher round draft picks in order to replenish our bottom 6 forwards / bottom 4 defensemen when they get too expensive to re-sign.

Pay your top 6 forwards / top 2 defensemen, and replace others with cheaper players on ELC. Over the long haul, that's what increases your chances to win a cup.

Arguably, the only bottom 6 we should pay for is Lowry.

Reactions: snowkiddin

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Not trying to throw a grenade into all of this, but how about:

Laine and Trouba
for
Chabot and Stone (signed at 6 x $8 million)

I can see reasons for both teams to say no and both to say yes.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Laine and Trouba
for

I don't see the desire in OTT in moving Chabot for Trouba. If Trouba won't re-sign here, I highly doubt he will accept an extension in Ottawa of all places. I also think Chabot has potential to be superior to Trouba. Also wouldnt move Laine for Stone. Stone is a superior player than Laine but he's also 6 years older. Laine's improvements to his all-around game will come and is a superior goal scorer to Stone. You're selling Laine at his lowest point

Reactions: Snowman

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

Laine and Trouba
for

And what do we do for RHD? Buff and Myers on the right side isn’t deep enough and frankly kind of depressing

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And what do we do for RHD? Buff and Myers on the right side isn’t deep enough and frankly kind of depressing

I don't think that is the flaw with that proposal. Trouba isn't likely to go to Ottawa. Laine alone is worth more than that.

If we could somehow pry Chabot out of Ottawa Morrissey could play the right side.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I don't think that is the flaw with that proposal. Trouba isn't likely to go to Ottawa. Laine alone is worth more than that.

If we could somehow pry Chabot out of Ottawa Morrissey could play the right side.

Oh man, a Morrissey/Chabot pairing? Chaborrissey? Sounds better than Troubissey
I agree Ottawa wouldn’t have a chance in hell with resigning Trouba so any trade with them is highly unlikely
In all reality, a Trouba/Serg swap is more likely. TBays top 4 is set for years and fills a need for us. Either that or Trouba/Ekblad with FLA

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg

Laine and Trouba
for

If you absolutely positively want to trade Laine, I'd be thinking more like:

Philly: Laine (maybe an add)
Wpg: Provorov + Patrick/Frost +1st or, Provorov + Couts.

Sure, he's struggling right now, but he still has 25 goals despite playing like doo-doo most of the year. Guys like that return big hauls.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
If Minnesota falls off..... any interest in Mikko Koivu?

He has a NMC but maybe he would be willing to waive it to come and play here and mentor his countryman. 1 more year after this @ 5.5 cap hit.

He is excellent defensively which might just be what Laine needs.

Just spitballing here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder about a Roslovic for Murray package. It looks like Ryan Murray is finally healthy and performing up to his potential. He would be a good player to pair with Buff. Good skating, solid defensively and can put up some secondary offense.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Someone (Whileee?) above mentioned that it's like selling all your stocks right after a crash. :huh:

I could see a trade of Laine as an option - but it would have to be with a team that is willing to pay for his incredible potential. It isn't like it is some airy-fairy hope that he turns out to be good. He isn't 21 yet and has scored 105 goals!!!

But it would also need to be a team that has the right assets and cap space. A lot would have to come together. It would be a massive trade, probably the biggest blockbuster trade since Lindros.

I think it is an extremely unlikely fantasy trade but I can imagine a deal with Carolina. They meet the requirements of having the assets, the cap space and they have an owner who over-values exciting offensive players who sell tickets.

To 'Canes:
Laine, Trouba, Petan, Myers, Chiarot

To Jets:
Pesce, TVR (or Faulk), De Haan, Necas, Niederreiter, Geekie

'Canes have to flip Myers before the TDL. They don't need the RD. Chiarot is an inexpensive LD who fills the short term hole on that side. They can choose to keep him for depth or not. Up to them. Petan is an upgrade to the bottom of their roster. They still have 2 LHD and 1 RHD near ready prospects in their system. We've only taken 1 F off their roster and he is replaced by Laine. They still have a couple of good F prospects too. Dundon has his exciting ticket seller in Laine.

'Canes come out of it with still something in the neighbourhood of 15-17 mil in cap space. They still need a goalie. Otherwise they have a pretty competitive team.

Jets get a L/R D pair + another RHD. I would rather get TVR. He costs less and will be a better fit in the long run, I think. Also easier to extend. They may want to keep him for the same reasons and insist we take Faulk - if he has us on his trade list. We get a replacement top 6 RW in Nino. We get a projected top 6 C in Necas plus another C/RW prospect in Geekie.

For Jets it fills the holes created by the trade plus all of the other existing holes.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Niederreiter
Perreault - Lowry - Tanev
Lemieux - Copp/Necas - Appleton/Roslovic/Geekie

Morrissey - Pesce
De Haan - Buff
Kulikov - TVR
Niku/Morrow/Poolman

No holes. Lots of depth. Cap under control. Several good prospects coming at both F and D. That is one damn fine D corps.

Appears to me to work for both teams - but, like I said, it is extremely unlikely.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I could see a trade of Laine as an option - but it would have to be with a team that is willing to pay for his incredible potential. It isn't like it is some airy-fairy hope that he turns out to be good. He isn't 21 yet and has scored 105 goals!!!

But it would also need to be a team that has the right assets and cap space. A lot would have to come together. It would be a massive trade, probably the biggest blockbuster trade since Lindros.

I think it is an extremely unlikely fantasy trade but I can imagine a deal with Carolina. They meet the requirements of having the assets, the cap space and they have an owner who over-values exciting offensive players who sell tickets.

To 'Canes:

To Jets:

'Canes have to flip Myers before the TDL. They don't need the RD. Chiarot is an inexpensive LD who fills the short term hole on that side. They can choose to keep him for depth or not. Up to them. Petan is an upgrade to the bottom of their roster. They still have 2 LHD and 1 RHD near ready prospects in their system. We've only taken 1 F off their roster and he is replaced by Laine. They still have a couple of good F prospects too. Dundon has his exciting ticket seller in Laine.

'Canes come out of it with still something in the neighbourhood of 15-17 mil in cap space. They still need a goalie. Otherwise they have a pretty competitive team.

Jets get a L/R D pair + another RHD. I would rather get TVR. He costs less and will be a better fit in the long run, I think. Also easier to extend. They may want to keep him for the same reasons and insist we take Faulk - if he has us on his trade list. We get a replacement top 6 RW in Nino. We get a projected top 6 C in Necas plus another C/RW prospect in Geekie.

For Jets it fills the holes created by the trade plus all of the other existing holes.

Morrissey - Pesce
De Haan - Buff
Kulikov - TVR
Niku/Morrow/Poolman

No holes. Lots of depth. Cap under control. Several good prospects coming at both F and D. That is one damn fine D corps.

Appears to me to work for both teams - but, like I said, it is extremely unlikely.
Sorry, but that's awful. I'm not a huge fan of any of the return, except maybe Necas. In general, I don't like quantity for quality trades. This frenzy of Laine trade proposals has me absolutely baffled.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

He has a NMC but maybe he would be willing to waive it to come and play here and mentor his countryman. 1 more year after this @ 5.5 cap hit.

Just spitballing here.
Without doing too much research, on the surface, I like it. But I wouldn't give up a ton to get him either. Must admit, I was in the don't do anything but add depth pieces camp, but the play of our second line has really got me thinking that some drastic changes need to be made. If the coach won't at least try Wheels & Scheif apart once to see what might work, it may fall on Chevy to fix our problems.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Just spitballing here.

Interesting thought. He is still producing pretty well. Whenever I see Minny he always seems to play well. I wonder what Minny would want?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Do you guys think it would be crazy to trade Trouba to a playoff team for a high D prospect that is near ready for NHL? Obviously hurts us going into the playoffs but you'd think we should be okay with out depth, and would solve Trouba issue and cap issue for next few years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Do you guys think it would be crazy to trade Trouba to a playoff team for a high D prospect that is near ready for NHL? Obviously hurts us going into the playoffs but you'd think we should be okay with out depth, and would solve Trouba issue and cap issue for next few years.
0 Chance

Hold Trouba and trade him in the summer for a great return to a team that he's willing to extend with.

Reactions: Snowman and Heldig

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

To 'Canes:

To Jets:

Morrissey - Pesce
De Haan - Buff
Kulikov - TVR
Niku/Morrow/Poolman

Sounds plausible indeed. They'd definitely be in hard on Laine (they have Aho right?), but not convinced we are getting enough value back for giving up two very young players with huge potential. I'd like to see a true C come back from them as well, although haven't looked at their roster/prospects to see who that might be. Also, if they need a goalie, maybe throw in Comrie as well (he's shown some decent potential lately, but can't see him being a permanent backup here).

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Oh man, a Morrissey/Chabot pairing? Chaborrissey? Sounds better than Troubissey
I agree Ottawa wouldn’t have a chance in hell with resigning Trouba so any trade with them is highly unlikely
In all reality, a Trouba/Serg swap is more likely. TBays top 4 is set for years and fills a need for us. Either that or Trouba/Ekblad with FLA

Why not Morribot?

Reactions: Total Cure

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry, but that's awful. I'm not a huge fan of any of the return, except maybe Necas. In general, I don't like quantity for quality trades. This frenzy of Laine trade proposals has me absolutely baffled.

Well, like I said it is just fantasy. Looking at using one outstanding player to fill several holes. We do need to do something about RHD and 2C. We are actually only giving up 2 players plus a few expendable lesser assets. We get back 4 who will immediately make our roster, plus 1 A+ prospect and a B prospect. Considering Laine's value, maybe I should have asked for more. :laugh:

How about Slavin instead of De Haan? And add a 1st? Trouba is valuable but his market value is somewhat depressed by circumstances. But Laine's value is huge. He is generating most of that return. It is huge quality for very good quantity, not just a bunch of magic beans.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not to detract too far from the Laine trade discussions ( :laugh: ) this article says a few interesting things that I saw were being asked about in the previous thread.

Countdown to TradeCentre: Flames, Jets in an arms race?

Title is pretty much clickbait, it doesn't really suggest the Jets and Flames are more worried about eachother than they are teams in their own divisions.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun said Wednesday that he believes both teams will be buyers at the deadline, with the Flames looking to add the size they failed to land on July 1.

“I think both Brad Treliving and Kevin Cheveldayoff make a splashy move,” LeBrun told TSN Radio 1200 Ottawa. “So I’m not even picking one, I think they both are. Cheveldayoff already showed us last spring in giving up a first for Paul Stastny that he understands his team is all in.

“It wouldn’t surprise me, quite frankly - and I don’t want to be 'radioed' here, but - if the Senators can’t re-sign Matt Duchene, it wouldn’t surprise me if Winnipeg phoned. But at the same time, I think Winnipeg is going to phone on all the rental forwards that are out there.

“And I think the rental part is the key for Winnipeg because they’ve got cap issues moving forward, so I don’t think they can trade for a guy who’s under contract past this year. But whether that’s Wayne Simmonds or Micheal Ferland, I think the Jets have everyone on their radar.

Bolded is my emphasis.

Eric Staal told The Athletic that the Minnesota Wild have yet to open negotiations on an extension with him and his future with the team is up in the air approaching the trade deadline.
Michael Russo of The Athletic writes that league executives surveyed all agreed that the Wild would not get a first-round pick in return for Staal - should he be traded. The executives pointed to the Toronto Maple Leafs setting the market by trading their first-round pick for Jake Muzzin, who still has a year left on his contract.

Emphasis on the perceived price of Staal for those that don't want the Jets to trade their 1st.

The rest of the Staal part of the article implies to me that contract negotiations with the Wild haven't started not because he's not willing to negotiate now, but because the Wild aren't willing or don't want him back. There was questions about whether Staal was even available in the last thread because the Wild are still in the race for the playoffs.

I think one of the previous 31 Thoughts articles implied that there were some teams that were in playoff positions that knew they weren't contenders and had thrown in the towel, I think the Wild might be one of those teams.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sounds plausible indeed. They'd definitely be in hard on Laine (they have Aho right?), but not convinced we are getting enough value back for giving up two very young players with huge potential. I'd like to see a true C come back from them as well, although haven't looked at their roster/prospects to see who that might be. Also, if they need a goalie, maybe throw in Comrie as well (he's shown some decent potential lately, but can't see him being a permanent backup here).

I think the only better C would be Aho and I don't think that could work for them. I was a little dubious about the value too. But I didn't want to get carried away with the ask.

I thought of including Comrie but goalies market value is always low. An unproven AHL goalie's value is so low that I think we are better off keeping him. They will have to look elsewhere for a goalie. Maybe use some of that remaining cap space to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad