Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Just a thought here, haven't really looked up much on a lot of these guys, just going off memory for now. But, any chance we could be trading partners with the Flames? They have a lot of good young dmen that are on the cusp of being NHLers. Guys like R Andersson, Kylington, Fox, Kulak, Wotherspoon come to mind. I like Fox a ton but doubt he's available but how about trading our depth up front for one of Andersson or Kylington? Maybe they would value an NHL ready Petan or Dano or Copp or Armia for one of those guys, any value in that? The players involved would depend on who's going which way of course. It would help us add depth to our back end and we could have a cheap young dman to replace Enstrom after this season. Do the Flames need any young forwards? They may like a guy like Petan, would Petan for Andersson or Kylington work? Thoughts?

I would be open to something like that, however it looks like they are looking for a RHS, which percludes Petan, Dano and Copp and just leaves Armia. I'm not opposed to moving Armia, but i'd rather see if he can put it together this year before a decision is made. Where we have depth now at the D position, it's not so much of a pressing need right now as it was before and would could be seen as a step backwards for the present for maybe two steps forward in the future.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
how bout we keep our good player in petan and use him like the good player he is to improve the team!

sounds like a cool idea to me :)

This all sounds good but i doubt there is a spot for him on this team going forward. Honestly will they even qualify him at the end of the year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
how bout we keep our good player in petan and use him like the good player he is to improve the team!

sounds like a cool idea to me :)

I like Petan more than most but at some point one of the NHL ready prospects we have may be moved. And I think Petan is good enough to get us a good NHL ready dman. Gotta give to get.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I like Petan more than most but at some point one of the NHL ready prospects we have may be moved. And I think Petan is good enough to get us a good NHL ready dman. Gotta give to get.

Gotta pump petans value first. Not even sure he is worth a third rounders at this point.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Gotta pump petans value first. Not even sure he is worth a third rounders at this point.

This is an important season for Petan, to cement himself in to this lineup.

There should be a solid shot to work on the third with some skilled players, but he needs to show he can work in this role.

If he is ever going to find a way into a top 6, it will be through a third line spot, but he has to play at a consistently solid level, start producing without top 6 players on his line, something he has not shown yet.

If he fails to cement his role, players like Roslovic and Lemieux deserve a shot the following season, and I would probably move him, but I doubt you would get anything higher than a third.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Petan's value is around what Jordan Weal's was a few years ago, IMO, when he was traded by LA to Vancouver. They paid a 2nd then. Of course this is year is make or break for him. He might be worth nothing or a whole lot more by the end of the year.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Petan's value is around what Jordan Weal's was a few years ago, IMO, when he was traded by LA to Vancouver. They paid a 2nd then. Of course this is year is make or break for him. He might be worth nothing or a whole lot more by the end of the year.

You must be thinking of Linden Vey.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You must be thinking of Linden Vey.

That's the one. Kings had quite a few small skilled players without great speed come through the system (Justin Azevedo as well) and never pan out. It's why I've never been very high on Petan myself, see too many similiarities between him and a Weal or a Vey.

EDIT: I guess Vey is listed at 6'0''. Shocked me always though he was 5'9'', sure played like it.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Holden I saw your post in the other thread about adding d depth. What do you think about my trade scenario above with the flames?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Jordan Weal's AHL numbers are reaaaaallllyyyyyyyy good.
(yes, I know you meant Vey, but I just did some AHL stuff today and he stood out today in a good way)

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
This is an important season for Petan, to cement himself in to this lineup.

There should be a solid shot to work on the third with some skilled players, but he needs to show he can work in this role.

If he is ever going to find a way into a top 6, it will be through a third line spot, but he has to play at a consistently solid level, start producing without top 6 players on his line, something he has not shown yet.

If he fails to cement his role, players like Roslovic and Lemieux deserve a shot the following season, and I would probably move him, but I doubt you would get anything higher than a third.

Connor lowry armia . Petan isn't bumping any of them for a spot on 3rd line And even if connor falls flat on his face mathias will get that spot. With tanev and dano on 1 ways it look like his fate is sealed and will play on moose.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Why'd you put it hear and not in around league thread? Is it to stir up some trouba for Pasternak talk :naughty:

IIRC there are some around here that like him a lot.

Why should I stir up Trouba talk with the Bruins when they have Haggerty & Murphy to make up rumours ;)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Holden I saw your post in the other thread about adding d depth. What do you think about my trade scenario above with the flames?

Missed this. Flames wouldn't be a bad target for some depth D, they have too many of them. I'd be down for a Petan + Melchiori for Kylington + Kulak/Andersson + late pick type of deal, not sure if Flames want or need that. I just don't comment much on potential trade scenarios since it is just so unlikely that proposed trades end up happening anyways.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Missed this. Flames wouldn't be a bad target for some depth D, they have too many of them. I'd be down for a Petan + Melchiori for Kylington + Kulak/Andersson + late pick type of deal, not sure if Flames want or need that. I just don't comment much on potential trade scenarios since it is just so unlikely that proposed trades end up happening anyways.

Holden one more well we have you.

If PMo falters and we need a mid season replacement what are your thoughts on Sutter? Would he be able to coach an up tempo style to suit this group?

I know if we replace PMo after the season Sheldon Keefe was brought up as a young emerging new school talent (very nice choice). I proposed Coach Q next off season if things falter in Chicago again. However Back to the mid season options, what are you thoughts on Sutt's.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Holden one more well we have you.

If PMo falters and we need a mid season replacement what are your thoughts on Sutter? Would he be able to coach an up tempo style to suit this group?

I know if we replace PMo after the season Sheldon Keefe was brought up as a young emerging new school talent (very nice choice). I proposed Coach Q next off season if things falter in Chicago again. However Back to the mid season options, what are you thoughts on Sutt's.

Hard to say. I know the Kings before Terry Murray played alot of up tempo game based off the rush play. He converted that team to a defensive beast team, and Sutter basically just continued that. Not sure if Sutter would be the right fit for this roster. Could he handle an offensive team but still implement a strong defensive play? Maybe. It'd be a better choice than Maurice probably. I think the players could use a real strong defensive coach, but not sure if it will work with the roster as assembled.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hard to say. I know the Kings before Terry Murray played alot of up tempo game based off the rush play. He converted that team to a defensive beast team, and Sutter basically just continued that. Not sure if Sutter would be the right fit for this roster. Could he handle an offensive team but still implement a strong defensive play? Maybe. It'd be a better choice than Maurice probably. I think the players could use a real strong defensive coach, but not sure if it will work with the roster as assembled.

I have misgivings about whether Sutter would be the right coach for this roster, just as I have concerns about Maurice for the same reasons.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I have misgivings about whether Sutter would be the right coach for this roster, just as I have concerns about Maurice for the same reasons.

Yea I am on the fence with Sutter.

The challege is to play uptempo like Chicago or Pitt you need goaltending. Pens were going nowhere until Murray landed on their doorstep. Well to be honest you need goaltending for any style of winning Hockey :laugh:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
My recollection is that Sutter's biggest influence on the Kings was their forechecking style, more of an aggressive two man forecheck versus a more passive style under Murray. I think he'd be a great fit for the Jets, who have always seemed to have more success playing a heavy forechecking style.

Out of curiosity, who do you see as the hypothetical right coach for this roster?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My recollection is that Sutter's biggest influence on the Kings was their forechecking style, more of an aggressive two man forecheck versus a more passive style under Murray. I think he'd be a great fit for the Jets, who have always seemed to have more success playing a heavy forechecking style.

Out of curiosity, who do you see as the hypothetical right coach for this roster?

I think Maurice also coaches an aggressive forechecking style. That was how they were effective in 2014/15. I'm not sure he has that type of team now, though. I think he'll play a high pressure game, but not as regimented, perhaps.

I don't think that there is an obvious available NHL coach. They might need to think about a coach in a different level, like Steve Sullivan was. I'm not actually on the Hawerchuk bandwagon, though. I think he's pretty unproven and don't really know what distinguishes him as having a brilliant coaching system.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

True. It maintained the strict defensive focus though.

I don't see a game based primarily off the cycle (which is Sutter's favourite) to be effective with a large portion of the Jets roster basing their play off speed. More of a quick counter attack style would be more beneficial. I could see a guy like Lindy Ruff actually being a great coach for the Jets if he can get the team to buy in like mid 00's Sabres teams.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I think Maurice also coaches an aggressive forechecking style. That was how they were effective in 2014/15. I'm not sure he has that type of team now, though. I think he'll play a high pressure game, but not as regimented, perhaps.

I don't think that there is an obvious available NHL coach. They might need to think about a coach in a different level, like Steve Sullivan was. I'm not actually on the Hawerchuk bandwagon, though. I think he's pretty unproven and don't really know what distinguishes him as having a brilliant coaching system.

Not really Whileee. Maurice asks each individual player to be aggressive and exert pressure, BUT he uses a plain vanilla forecheck system, usually only with one winger. There certainly is no evidence of an overload forecheck which effectively cuts the ice in half so as to sustain pressure such as that used by some teams.

True. It maintained the strict defensive focus though.

I don't see a game based primarily off the cycle (which is Sutter's favourite) to be effective with a large portion of the Jets roster basing their play off speed. More of a quick counter attack style would be more beneficial. I could see a guy like Lindy Ruff actually being a great coach for the Jets if he can get the team to buy in like mid 00's Sabres teams.

Agree with this totally Holden BUT again there is absolutely no evidence that Maurice sees value in same. He has advocated from the very beginning a much more conservative approach whereby the team "regroups" after puck possession. The downside to this is that it allows the opponent to set itself defensively, either with their own forecheck system, or other strategies to prevent entrance to their zone. With our skill and speed, a quick counter-attacking strategy would seem likely to yield best results.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Connor lowry armia . Petan isn't bumping any of them for a spot on 3rd line And even if connor falls flat on his face mathias will get that spot. With tanev and dano on 1 ways it look like his fate is sealed and will play on moose.

I see Connor on our second line, and Lowry on the 4th, possibly Armia sticks or Copp with Petan and Perrault as a skilled third, to start the season.

Fail to take advantage he loses the spot quickly, with players like Dano and Roslovic knocking on the door.

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
I'm curious how badly would it hurt our young guys to have someone like jagr sign for a year and mentor them gotta think and hope his ethic would rub off of them but I'd love to hear everyone's take on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad