Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Sorry but why keep the band together if they can't make the playoffs? My best case scenario is the Jets make a deep run in the playoffs next year and maybe players like Little will be more receptive to leaving money on the table for a chance at a SC. That assuming Little does not sign this summer. Enstrom may also be willing to sign a 1 or 2 year deal for 2m per. Hutch and Matthias will be gone after next season.
The flip side of a long playoff run is that it artificially inflates player values.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted by libertarian View Post
Sorry but why keep the band together if they can't make the playoffs? My best case scenario is the Jets make a deep run in the playoffs next year and maybe players like Little will be more receptive to leaving money on the table for a chance at a SC. That assuming Little does not sign this summer. Enstrom may also be willing to sign a 1 or 2 year deal for 2m per. Hutch and Matthias will be gone after next season.

The flip side of a long playoff run is that it artificially inflates player values.

Likely a bit of both.
If we were to make the second round for example next spring that success has to play into what players on our team can be compensated for. It makes it much more difficult to get all the players you want at the prices you want them at.
But it is a problem I'd rather have then the alternative of not making and potentially losing some who may not think the team can get it done.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Jack Roslovic to Columbus for Gabriel Carlsson

Jack Roslovic - center - drafted 25th overall in 2015. #2 on HFJets prospect depth. Has 3 years left on ELC at $894,166.

Gabriel Carlsson - left defense - drafted 29th overall in 2015. #3 on HFBlueJackets prospect depth. Has 3 years left on ELC at $894,166.

I like Roslovic and I have to admit that I don't know much about Carlsson other than what i have read. I would only do this trade to increase our depth at left defense.

Thoughts?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You want to trade for a low scoring defensive D man with perhaps number 4 type potential for a guy who has 1/2 Center potential? All because they are somewhat equal on prospect depth ratings at this website?

No

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Wouldn't the Jets have just selected him at #25 if they thought he would be a better prospect?

I like Roslovic and I suspect the Jets are still happy with their selection.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wow, that gave me a bit of a scare. Thought it was a done deal given the title. I'm not interested in the deal myself.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
LD doesn't look quite so thin with Morrissey's development, signing Kulikov, adding Samberg and Niku. Even Stanley is showing glimmers of potential.

Roslovic is a very good C prospect with potential for a 2-3 C role quite soon. I think he's more valuable than Carlson.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
You want to trade for a low scoring defensive D man with perhaps number 4 type potential for a guy who has 1/2 Center potential? All because they are somewhat equal on prospect depth ratings at this website?

No

That is where we differ. I don't see Roslovic as a 1/2 center. I don't think he will score enough. I see him as a 2b/3 center. I know Carlsson is a low scoring defensive D but that is what i was looking for. We need defensive defencemen.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That is where we differ. I don't see Roslovic as a 1/2 center. I don't think he will score enough. I see him as a 2b/3 center. I know Carlsson is a low scoring defensive D but that is what i was looking for. We need defensive defencemen.

Defensive dmen are becoming extinct in this league. If you can't score at lower levels your chances of ever becoming an NHL dmen are incredibly limited.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Jack Roslovic - center - drafted 25th overall in 2015. #2 on HFJets prospect depth. Has 3 years left on ELC at $894,166.

Gabriel Carlsson - left defense - drafted 29th overall in 2015. #3 on HFBlueJackets prospect depth. Has 3 years left on ELC at $894,166.

I like Roslovic and I have to admit that I don't know much about Carlsson other than what i have read. I would only do this trade to increase our depth at left defense.

Thoughts?

I understand that CBJ fans want Roslo because he is from Columbus, but the offers I have seen are just not enough. Looking at the CBJ prospect depth the only player I'd be interested trading him for is PLD. Would obviously require Jets to add to make the trade fair

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I understand that CBJ fans want Roslo because he is from Columbus, but the offers I have seen are just not enough. Looking at the CBJ prospect depth the only player I'd be interested trading him for is PLD. Would obviously require Jets to add to make the trade fair

PLD looks like a big question mark at this point.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He was 3rd in BCHL D scoring before making the jump to college. He is also an extremely rare case.

It's uncommon, but not unheard of.

Tanev and Hjalmarsson are a couple of others that didn't score much relative to age during their development.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He won the lottery! I should buy a ticket!!

Winning the lottery is uncommon but not unheard of, just as I noted for low scoring D making it. Odds are better for defensive D than lotteries.

Sole focus on D scoring stats might improve predictions, but it's a simplistic approach to scouting.

I'm still waiting for someone to present projection model estimates with confidence limits, to show how precise the estimates are.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
PLD looks like a big question mark at this point.

If they just stop playing him as a center i think he'd start looking a lot better. Not 2016 #3oa worthy (I don't think he never was that) but still a player I'd happily have as a Jet. The only problem with it would be that the top of our prospect pool would get even more wing heavy than it already is.
Honestly I'd already like to see Chevy poke around teams like Philly, Flames, maybe Habs if they want Perreault as a C, trying to trade a winger for young Dman or center.
I don't feel comfortable with Roslovic being our only good center prospect, and having no top tier D prospects, but yet having 2 very good wing prospects and 4 very good wingers already in NHL

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Just a thought here, haven't really looked up much on a lot of these guys, just going off memory for now. But, any chance we could be trading partners with the Flames? They have a lot of good young dmen that are on the cusp of being NHLers. Guys like R Andersson, Kylington, Fox, Kulak, Wotherspoon come to mind. I like Fox a ton but doubt he's available but how about trading our depth up front for one of Andersson or Kylington? Maybe they would value an NHL ready Petan or Dano or Copp or Armia for one of those guys, any value in that? The players involved would depend on who's going which way of course. It would help us add depth to our back end and we could have a cheap young dman to replace Enstrom after this season. Do the Flames need any young forwards? They may like a guy like Petan, would Petan for Andersson or Kylington work? Thoughts?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Just a thought here, haven't really looked up much on a lot of these guys, just going off memory for now. But, any chance we could be trading partners with the Flames? They have a lot of good young dmen that are on the cusp of being NHLers. Guys like R Andersson, Kylington, Fox, Kulak, Wotherspoon come to mind. I like Fox a ton but doubt he's available but how about trading our depth up front for one of Andersson or Kylington? Maybe they would value an NHL ready Petan or Dano or Copp or Armia for one of those guys, any value in that? The players involved would depend on who's going which way of course. It would help us add depth to our back end and we could have a cheap young dman to replace Enstrom after this season. Do the Flames need any young forwards? They may like a guy like Petan, would Petan for Andersson or Kylington work? Thoughts?

I wish, but in the end we all know Chevy doesn't do this thing people call trading.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
how bout we keep our good player in petan and use him like the good player he is to improve the team!

sounds like a cool idea to me :)

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
I don't really see the need to go after any more defensemen, now that we have Kulikov for 3 years.

We drafted heavy on D and they have time to develop. As mentioned on the left Samberg, Niku, maybe Stanley, we should be good if we stay healthier this year. If we can resign Enstrom on an affordable 1-2 year deal, we are good for about 3 more years. Chariot, Nogier even Melchiori have shown they can fill a hole decently well if someone goes down.

Let's keep building our powerhouse offense and with a decently healthy D, things should fall into place.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chevy isn't making any trades. This is his team. He addressed 2 of our needs through free agency and now it is up to the players and the coaches. He might make some moves at the TD if we are fighting for a spot but I honestly don't think we get in by a WC spot and we finish 3rd in the Central.
There's a lot of talent on our D but some big salaries will be gone soon.
I wouldn't rush Poolman back after his shoulder surgeries. Make sure he is healed and play him on the Moose to see how he stacks up against men.

As far as defensive D men go, can't Trouba be considered a defensive D man? He has 105 points in 4 seasons. I like his D game better than his O...love his mean streak...I see him being the number one TOI guy this year not counting goalies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Chevy isn't making any trades. This is his team. He addressed 2 of our needs through free agency and now it is up to the players and the coaches. He might make some moves at the TD if we are fighting for a spot but I honestly don't think we get in by a WC spot and we finish 3rd in the Central.
There's a lot of talent on our D but some big salaries will be gone soon.
I wouldn't rush Poolman back after his shoulder surgeries. Make sure he is healed and play him on the Moose to see how he stacks up against men.

As far as defensive D men go, can't Trouba be considered a defensive D man? He has 105 points in 4 seasons. I like his D game better than his O...love his mean streak...I see him being the number one TOI guy this year not counting goalies.

Even if we are safely in 3rd, we have the cap space to be buyers at the TD. I'd love to see Chevy get a little aggressive at that point and fill any holes in hopes of a playoff run. Depending how the season unfolds for guys like Petan, Roslovic and Copp a veteran 3rd line center with a strong track record to push Lowry to the 4th would be a big addition to push this team to contention IMO.

I wouldn't worry about rushing Poolman, baring significant injuries ahead of him. The roster is set on defense with NHL salaries in place along with Morrissey.

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Toby-Myers

Chairot will be the PB guy.

Unless Poolman is completely healthy and there is an injury ahead of him he will start on the Moose since he is waiver exempt with his ELC. I'd look at Poolman, Nogier and Niku being the injury callups as the season goes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad