Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - Tradecentre Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If you believe Chevy is an idiot, you'll be more likely to believe speculation about decisions that will make him seem like an idiot, and thus further your belief that he's an idiot. Then down the road, these examples are used as proof as to why he's an idiot, when there was nothing other than idle chatter that he was going to do something like that.

this x100000

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If you believe Chevy is an idiot, you'll be more likely to believe speculation about decisions that will make him seem like an idiot, and thus further your belief that he's an idiot. Then down the road, these examples are used as proof as to why he's an idiot, when there was nothing other than idle chatter that he was going to do something like that.
I feel like bookmarking this post... captures a significant portion of the HF Jets discourse.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We need to get in on those summer deals. I don't even know if we'd get that value now, there's not enough teams completely out of it.

Rumours out of Vancouver have Stecher available as a piece to help the Canucks make another bigger move, I'd be on that. He's RFA after the season. Maybe could use someone with some team control (Niku, Ves) to make that happen combined with a low pick, like 5th round.

I wish, but has Chevy ever made a significant summer deal for a player? Trouba is 1, but that was extraordinary circumstances

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If Chevy stays quiet, stands pat and does nothing today I’ll be pleased. Really don’t want us buying and I’m not sure we have much to sell.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
To me, I'd rather put Niku out there to confirm that he's bad, then knowingly play players like Potato and Sbisa cause I already know they are bad.

How much do you need to see? 47 games not enough? There's levels of bad, Niku is really really bad. Sbisa is bad and Bitetto is real bad.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honest question...

First Petan, then dano, now niku. Do people fall in love with these guys because they're small? Kinda like rooting for Rudy?

Niku and Dano aren't small. Dano - 212 lbs! Niku - 6'1, 194 lbs.
People fell in love with these players because they had a very high degree of success at lower levels.

Maybe Maurice played a part in their failure to get over the last hurdle. Personally, I'm convinced that was the case with Petan. But in the final analysis, it is up to those men to do it themselves. They don't have a right to play in the NHL. They need to earn their spot by outperforming other players.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was a bit clumsy on wording, but he debuted as a rookie in the AHL as a 20 year-old and won defenseman of the year.

I think to state he isn't a prospect any more because of his play is misguided. It's because of his lack of play if anything. Maurice has not been willing to work through the Niku mistakes like he has with the Bitetto, Sbisa, Beaulieu, etc mistakes.

Still not quite correct. He played 1 game in the '18 season when he was 21.

I don't disagree that Maurice has been unwilling to work through the mistakes. But he has played in 48 NHL games now and has not shown much, if any, defensive improvement. He isn't 20, or even 21 anymore. At 23 he is still a prospect, but just barely.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

That is basically how all of the internet works. :)

Reactions: Gil Fisher

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Took the words right out of my mouth.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you think Vesalainen or Niku have much value? At this point neither look like NHLers, real or potential. I don't think you'd get much for them aside for other teams versions of them, guys that are stalling out as 20-21-22-23 year olds.
Yes, I think KVes has lots of value. He will be a part of Jets bottom six going forward. He’s only 20, not sure why you’re lumping him in with Niku. Stalling out at 20? Not sure if you’re serious?
I still think Niku is an NHLer too, but not here. Give him a fresh start.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t have evidence. Outside of media speculation what evidence do we ever actually have of who the team is targeting before it actually happens? Do you believe the reports that the Jets were heavy into Karl Alzner before he signed in Montreal? Or that it was Chevy’s preference to sign Ladd to an extension and that was only foiled due to Ladd rejecting that offer? I have no proof of any of this, of course but for one reason or another it’s generally considered accurate information.

Sometimes the media have actual information. Sometimes they are just speculating. The better ones indicate which is which. We have no better ones locally.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Yes, I think KVes has lots of value. He will be a part of Jets bottom six going forward. He’s only 20, not sure why you’re lumping him in with Niku. Stalling out at 20? Not sure if you’re serious?
I still think Niku is an NHLer too, but not here. Give him a fresh start.

My point is that the trade value isn't there when we're talking about leveraging our prospects for a top 4 D or maybe a middle 6 centreman. We're hoping Vesalainen can be part of our bottom 6 sooner than later. Every team has fringe prospects like that, and most have prospects having a lot more success in the American league than the two we're talking about here . Why do ours somehow have trade value? That's my point.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I am looking at this deadline. As positive. Chevy seemed to think that both deals he made have long term potential, "beyond a rental." That justifies trading the picks. If you are looking at what is built, think about a lineup that has all the pieces in place. Samberg signs at the end of the college season. You re-sign De Melo, with Beaulieu. Re-sign Eakin.

He talked about a hockey trade. I still think he wants to shore up the RD, and a deal that would make sense in the offseason, but not now, is Roslovic for Montour.

Morrissey-Montour
Samberg-Pionk
Beaulieu-De Melo (PK1)
Niku-Poolman

as your defense. With Heinola as a wild card, probably getting the start on the Moose. Kovacevic ready for a taste of the NHL.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Laine
Harkins-Little-Perreault
Eakin-Lowry-Appleton

Maybe you buyout Perreault, and try to upgrade at 2C, with the cap space, though I think the Jets currency is prospects not picks right now. And July 1st is usually overpayment day. You probably draft a centre. But you have all your pieces in place. You lose your 3rd and 7th in the next two years, and 4th this year, but maybe Byfuglien redeems a pick and a prospect.

Heinola, Gustafsson and Vesalainen are significant prospects to develop, Kovacevic might be replacement level with a year under his belt. Then you add Chisholm and Vallati to the Moose, so there is some depth in the organization.

I think we did well prior to the deadline, didn't give up anything significant, but didn't give up on the players here. Now you just need players to gel.

I continue to say that the Jets are well managed. They aren't leveraging next year's Cap, with performance bonuses. They are no longer constrained. They aren't depleted, keeping top 60 picks. They have star power at good prices. And money to re-sign key pieces.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Only way I'm looking at Eakin is if he re-signs for a hair over league minimum next season. He could be a bad contract waiting to happen.

Reactions: hn777

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Only way I'm looking at Eakin is if he re-signs for a hair over league minimum next season. He could be a bad contract waiting to happen.

I'd say about $2.5-$3 million, 3 years. Lowry goes into next year as a UFA. And maybe get moved at the draft, if there is a player the Jets are looking at the table.. Need centre depth. Gustafsson helps, but there is not much beyond him.
I'm wondering what Copp's number is to re-sign. It's going to be over 4 for sure. Then you probably need $6 million, closer to 7 for Pionk. Laine is going to be around $9-10. Money is there for all of them. That's important.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
No quick fixes. We are going to be a bubble team until the last year of sheif wheeler and helly contracts.

How does chevy get no blame for having to shed so much salary in one off season?

And next year when it happens again and we get even worse he will get a pass too because he signs his draft picks.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'd say about $2.5-$3 million, 3 years. Lowry goes into next year as a UFA. And maybe get moved at the draft, if there is a player the Jets are looking at the table.. Need centre depth. Gustafsson helps, but there is not much beyond him.
I'm wondering what Copp's number is to re-sign. It's going to be over 4 for sure. Then you probably need $6 million, closer to 7 for Pionk. Laine is going to be around $9-10. Money is there for all of them. That's important.

Have to see how he does, but really not interested in overpaying a guy like Eakin to play in the bottom 6.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't think he'd want to stay. If I was an NHL player from Winnipeg I would not want to play here. That's not a shot against the Jets, it would be the same for me in almost any NHL city.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
This.

These are the UFA players the Jets have (re-)signed since summer 2016 for $1.5+ m:

Matthias 2 years * 2.125 AAV
Perreault 4 * 4.125 AAV
Mason 2 * 4.1 AAV
Kulikov 3 * 4.333 AAV
Little 6 * 5.292 AAV
Wheeler 5 * 8.25 AAV

Do you think those are good value deals? or just one of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad