Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - Tradecentre Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep just the wording. If Domi has been playing with lousy players who aren't as good as those 2 if it's just because those two would fit him better that's saying something. To simply say yea he could do better with better players is what I think is ridiculous.

I wouldn't describe it as ridiculous. It is true. But to say that is a deciding factor in value would be illogical.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree. But I think Samberg has a higher probability of hitting his ceiling. I see a very strong probability of a 2nd pairing D there. Heinola could top out as a 3rd pair man with good offense, or even bust. Not that I think those are likely, just possible.
Someone will have to switch to the right side at some point too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree. 2020 1st + Niku + Roslovic/Vesalainen or 2020 1st + Heinola/Samberg + Perreault.

It's an age old formula, Pick + Prospect + Roster Player.
I would be very hesitant to trade Samberg. He could be a foundation type of D for a decade. Pronman wrote today (in a discussion forum) that he thinks Samberg is ready to step right into an NHL lineup. He's exactly what the Jets need in a top 4 LHD.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I would be very hesitant to trade Samberg. He could be a foundation type of D for a decade. Pronman wrote today (in a discussion forum) that he thinks Samberg is ready to step right into an NHL lineup. He's exactly what the Jets need in a top 4 LHD.
Do you have a link?
Yes, we need a shut down physical type in addition to our smaller puck moving Ds. I hope he signs within a month.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
2C is not what people usually mean when they talk about depth.

Gus is a promising prospect - as a Lowry replacement at 4C.

Jets may not be able to get Cirelli in a competitive marketplace, but they should certainly go all in trying to get him.
I wouldn’t be so quick to put a low ceiling on Gus. I’d wait another year or so before labeling him a 4th liner.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Heinola has Jmo potential, maybe more offense but not as good defensively but number one upside. No one is moving that kid. Samberg is good but I personally feel Heinola has a higher ceiling.
I don’t think there is any chance of either Samberg or Heinola getting moved. The organization is still very light on good young defenseman. No way you move any until you start seeing what they can do at the NHL level.

Reactions: surixon

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wouldn't describe it as ridiculous. It is true. But to say that is a deciding factor in value would be illogical.
It's stating the obvious and expecting it to mean something. Yes players can play better with better players. More meaningful to say why. It's like saying water is good for you. You can't succeed if you don't try.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do you have a link?
Yes, we need a shut down physical type in addition to our smaller puck moving Ds. I hope he signs within a month.
From the Athletic (pay wall), but here's a screenshot.

Screenshot_20200310-175403.png

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think Samberg makes the jump too, and pairing him with DeMelo or Pionk would also settle him down.

I would love a RH Samberg, but would take Guhle in draft who is similar to Samberg with perhaps more offence. I know this opens the LH vs RH debate, but it sure makes the d look solid in a few years, and both are upgrades to Kulikov and Beaulieu, IMO.

Edit: if Guhle isn’t there when we draft, then Schneider would be a solid pick.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Hmmmm ....
Pick, 7th - check. Prospect, Stanley - check. Player, Dahlstrom - check. :sarcasm:

Just stating those requirements doesn't mean much. They cover such a wide range. You might just as well say any 3 pieces.

1st, OK. I don't think I would include either Samberg or Heinola at this point. I give them Niku. For the roster player I will give them a choice between Perreault and Dahlstrom.

That would be my offer. There would be a little room to negotiate. Maybe they get the roster player bumped up to Roslovic, but I would resist that. Maybe they get a 2nd instead of the prospect & player. If they want lots of eggs in the basket I would give them the 1st + Niku + Stanley + Perreault + Dahlstrom. But the 1st is the main piece.

1st + Bitetto + Comrie? :naughty:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Samberg makes the jump too, and pairing him with DeMelo or Pionk would also settle him down.

I would love a RH Samberg, but would take Guhle in draft who is similar to Samberg with perhaps more offence. I know this opens the LH vs RH debate, but it sure makes the d look solid in a few years, and both are upgrades to Kulikov and Beaulieu, IMO.

Edit: if Guhle isn’t there when we draft, then Schneider would be a solid pick.
If things go well and we get this I’ll be happy
Jmo Pionk
Samberg Demelo
Heinola Poolman
Niku

If a Dman gets signed on top of this crew then we are looking real good!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If things go well and we get this I’ll be happy
Jmo Pionk
Samberg Demelo
Heinola Poolman
Niku

If a Dman gets signed on top of this crew then we are looking real good!
I like that group as well. I’m getting the feeling that the organization is trying on DeMelo as JoMo’s partner so maybe flip him with Pionk.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like that group as well. I’m getting the feeling that the organization is trying on DeMelo as JoMo’s partner so maybe flip him with Pionk.

Agreed, Moe likes players to fill different roles on each pairing. They likely want a pure puck mover and offense driver on each pairing and someone who sits back a bit more. Given JoMo's new contract they are likely going to want him to take on more offense so a more defensive partner like DeMelo fits with that. Samberg fills the more defensive role on the second pairing. Similar to how JoMo did when he broke in on Buffs pairing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed, Moe likes players to fill different roles on each pairing. They likely want a pure puck mover and offense driver on each pairing and someone who sits back a bit more. Given JoMo's new contract they are likely going to want him to take on more offense so a more defensive partner like DeMelo fits with that. Samberg fills the more defensive role on the second pairing. Similar to how JoMo did when he broke in on Buffs pairing.
Agreed. That would be a top 4 I would be comfortable with. The wildcard is if Heinola can climb up over the next few years and push someone down. Even then we still need to add to the backend. This season has to be the low watermark for the organization and somewhere we never return to.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed. That would be a top 4 I would be comfortable with. The wildcard is if Heinola can climb up over the next few years and push someone down. Even then we still need to add to the backend. This season has to be the low watermark for the organization and somewhere we never return to.

I would be transitioning Heinola to RD starting next year. I think long term he takes DeMelo's role.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Never say never but I would not move Samberg. Size, skating, defensive skill with puck movement on an ELC. Cost controlled and cap friendly is a big factor too. He could possibly be a very good partner for a guy like Pionk as soon as next season IMO.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Never say never but I would not move Samberg. Size, skating, defensive skill with puck movement on an ELC. Cost controlled and cap friendly is a big factor too. He could possibly be a very good partner for a guy like Pionk as soon as next season IMO.
And exempt from the upcoming expansion draft. IMO you don’t even think of moving a player of this potential when our defence has been so decimated so quickly. You need to build it back up to full strength before contemplating any moves.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Kulikov is currently the 72nd highest paid defenseman in the NHL. He is not in the Top 100 defensemen by any measure - eye test, box scores, fancy stats, whatever. He's okay on the 3rd pair, and if you're in a pinch (which the Jets certainly have been all season) he can maybe keep his head above water as a #4, but don't bank on it...and certainly don't pay him like he's a legit 2nd pairing defenseman.

He's been playing top 4 for a year and half now. It's not new. Highest Corsi, which everyone loves, on the Jets defense. Now a lot of that has to do with Pionk, but he's holding in his own against the best in the league. If he doesn't get a raise I will be shocked. Look at what Mike Matheson gets, or Zadorov. Look at what Montreal gave Karl Alzner on the market. Look at what his partner for last year, Myers got. He'll get paid in the offseason. I don't think people appreciate how good of a skater he is, especially on his edges. I think he would have more offense in a green light system, though his passing isn't the best, but he's done a real good job here. We were, I thought, noticeably worse when he was out earlier this year. Underappreciated for sure.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Someone will have to switch to the right side at some point too.

If all develop into top 4 D men, yes. But if our right side is strong enough, we may have a good D man to trade. That is not a bad thing. If not, then I have heard that Heinola has experience on the right side.

Reactions: ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad