Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - Tradecentre Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomac

Jul 28, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd easily play Petan over Bourque and some of the other scrubs we have iced over the years. Anyway, might as well trade Ehlers if we're going to under utilize him too.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Honest question...

First Petan, then dano, now niku. Do people fall in love with these guys because they're small? Kinda like rooting for Rudy?

Well they have sexy skills, puck skills. Being a good skater isn't quite as noticeable, but way more important. They also get some notoriety from junior, WJC's, the AHL etc.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
honestly would use niku in a package for a better d if we could, don't think pomo likes him and hes at the point where he needs nhl minutes to work on his game

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
How is Bourque still on the Jets' roster? It's beyond maddening.

He was better than Apples today. Position wise. Set up Shore with a good chance. I am not a huge fan of his either. I think he is less of a defensive liability than Perreault though for what it is worth. I also think Gustafsson could have about the same impact as him right now, if not higher.

Reactions: hn777

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
honestly would use niku in a package for a better d if we could, don't think pomo likes him and hes at the point where he needs nhl minutes to work on his game

I would love to hear Maurice's reasoning for playing Bitetto over Niku today, with Morrissey out. Felt like he needed more toughness at the bottom of the lineup? If your defense can't move the puck, you can't keep it for long.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Once again we need a 2C. I love Copp but he is not the fit for Connor & Laine. Rosolic doesn't seem to be trending that way at the moment, They need a guy like Jumbo Joe or even Toews with some obvious conditions on his salary.

But more than that the team needs a legit 1D. Morrissey is a perfect 2D but until this team gets a guy like Weber, Doughty, or Letang when that cup is going to be a long shot.

Those are some serious heavy needs.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I would love to hear Maurice's reasoning for playing Bitetto over Niku today, with Morrissey out. Felt like he needed more toughness at the bottom of the lineup? If your defense can't move the puck, you can't keep it for long.
he said niku did a conditioning skate today because they had monday off and they didn't know jomo was gonna miss

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
A year ago Niku was 22. Yes, he was the reigning AHL Dman of the year. That award doesn't mean much in the NHL.

I don't think Maurice made Niku bad defensively. He might have made him less assertive, therefore less effective offensively. Niku appears to be trying to play better defensively ..... without much success so far.

I was a bit clumsy on wording, but he debuted as a rookie in the AHL as a 20 year-old and won defenseman of the year.

I think to state he isn't a prospect any more because of his play is misguided. It's because of his lack of play if anything. Maurice has not been willing to work through the Niku mistakes like he has with the Bitetto, Sbisa, Beaulieu, etc mistakes.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I was a bit clumsy on wording, but he debuted as a rookie in the AHL as a 20 year-old and won defenseman of the year.

I think to state he isn't a prospect any more because of his play is misguided. It's because of his lack of play if anything. Maurice has not been willing to work through the Niku mistakes like he has with the Bitetto, Sbisa, Beaulieu, etc mistakes.

Maybe Niku is worse? He looks a lot worse to me. I love his skills with the puck but that's a very small part of the game, especially when we're always chasing it with a ton of guys on the ice who aren't good at getting it back, like Niku.

Guess we're basically in a circular argument, but Niku has been pretty brutal going on two full seasons in both leagues. Obviously he gets more offensive opportunities in the A where he's playing top 4 and top PP. The best he's played the last two seasons was in extremely sheltered minutes with the Jets in 18-19.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Maybe Niku is worse? He looks a lot worse to me. I love his skills with the puck but that's a very small part of the game, especially when we're always chasing it with a ton of guys on the ice who aren't good at getting it back, like Niku.

Guess we're basically in a circular argument, but Niku has been pretty brutal going on two full seasons in both leagues. Obviously he gets more offensive opportunities in the A where he's playing top 4 and top PP. The best he's played the last two seasons was in extremely sheltered minutes with the Jets in 18-19.
You lost us when you said Niku has been brutal in both leagues. He dominates the AHL. And gets stretches of 3 games at a time in the NHL before getting pulled for the likes of Beaulieu and Bitetto.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
You lost us when you said Niku has been brutal in both leagues. He dominates the AHL. And gets stretches of 3 games at a time in the NHL before getting pulled for the likes of Beaulieu and Bitetto.

Won't matter soon. Niku is 100% gone tomorrow.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
100% is a pretty strong opinion. What type of deal do you see him being part of?

No idea. Partly trying to trigger people haha.

But in all seriousness, I am not certain any prospects outside of Heinola and Samberg are off the table to land a top 4.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

But in all seriousness, I am not certain any prospects outside of Heinola and Samberg are off the table to land a top 4.
I’d imagine if Niku was involved it would be part of a bigger deal which would most likely be either a buyers move or hockey trade by Chevy. As long as we kept Samberg, Heinola and our 1st I’d be open to Chevy making a hockey trade tomorrow. I don’t think an expensive rental is in the cards.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

I can't imagine a deal where any of our prospects outside of the two you mention have any value toward acquiring a top 4 D...aside from as a throw-in with someone like Ehlers.

I also hope for the love of God that Chevy lottery protects our first rounder if he deals it.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
If this team chooses to acquire guys like Eakin while jettisoning guys like Niku and potentially Ehlers, we’re in far worse shape long term than we even realize.
Niku is so amazing that over the last 2 seasons there are only 9 defenseman that have played a minimum 40 games that have a worse Corsi than Niku.

Niku is in the top 10 worst defenseman based on HfJets favorite stat.

Reactions: BigZ65

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Well I doubt we are going to snag a 1D anytime soon.....so how about Jonas Brodin? Guerin want to sell off and start over and Brodin seems like a good LD partner for Pionk. Maybe Morrissey-DeMelo, Brodin-Pionk, & Kulikov-Poolman. As for the price? I don't know but I don't see Niku in our future plans so perhaps something around that.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
2 things I hope for tomorrow:
1) Niku gets traded, because he's not going to beat out what the Jets have here. Hello, Dano and Petan.
2) Ehlers doesn't get traded. How is he the scapegoat over the REST OF THE TOP 6? "Uh huh huh Harkins has already proven more in 24 games than Ehlers has in his entire NHL career." You dumb Twitter f***s, get over yourselves.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Things I'd be willing to give up for a top 4 D with term:
1st(top 10 protected)
vesalainen
niku
samberg(if we feel like he's unlikely to sign)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I’d imagine if Niku was involved it would be part of a bigger deal which would most likely be either a buyers move or hockey trade by Chevy. As long as we kept Samberg, Heinola and our 1st I’d be open to Chevy making a hockey trade tomorrow. I don’t think an expensive rental is in the cards.
I'd include our 1st if Manson was coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad