Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - Tradecentre Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I wouldn't be against a Bogosian deal if we are looking to retain our forward depth but the thought of Matt Dumba is very tantalizing. I feel like he's the stud with size our d corps is missing.

He won't be cheap and we won't like what we have to give. People always think a ton of spare parts gets it done but it won't. Minnesota isn't in rebuild so there going to want a top forward that is in the nhl now.

So, that's going to be Ehlers, most likely.
Wild are in a weird spot because they oughtta be rebuilding but they cant with parise and suter and those contracts. They would never be able to move them without attaching assets valuable enough to make it too painful to do (not even taking the NMCs into account).

Could we put together a package of futures enticing enough? Maybe, but it would gut us.. ville + ves + 1st?

Jomo Dumba
Samberg Pionk

That's a decent top 4 for the next few years. If we could re-sign DeMelo, our D goes from disgrace to top tier in one season

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Is Bogo at this point an actual upgrade on Poolman or Beaulieu? Or would he be our number 7... he must be better then Bitetto

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I'm a big Samberg fan but that is probably close to the right value. I'd love to see a Dumba deal where we hold onto our 2 top D prospects (Samberg & Heinola) and 1st round picks this year and next. Not sure what that would look like, but I think Chevy is still out there shopping and a top 4 D is the perfect add.
This is one of the few players I would use samberg in a trade for because it’s the same position, same quality of player

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't be against a Bogosian deal if we are looking to retain our forward depth but the thought of Matt Dumba is very tantalizing. I feel like he's the stud with size our d corps is missing.

He won't be cheap and we won't like what we have to give. People always think a ton of spare parts gets it done but it won't. Minnesota isn't in rebuild so there going to want a top forward that is in the nhl now.

So, that's going to be Ehlers, most likely.

Dumba plays a physical game, but he doesn't have size. Listed variously at 6', 180-183 lbs.

Dumba is a good player, but he is not worth Ehlers.

If Minnesota isn't in rebuild, why did they trade Zucker, Niederreiter, Coyle? 3 of their top 4 scorers are 35 YO and those 3 avg just 40 pts in 60 gms. If they aren't in rebuild mode, they sure should be. Isn't that why there is talk of Dumba being available?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wild are in a weird spot because they oughtta be rebuilding but they cant with parise and suter and those contracts. They would never be able to move them without attaching assets valuable enough to make it too painful to do (not even taking the NMCs into account).

Could we put together a package of futures enticing enough? Maybe, but it would gut us.. ville + ves + 1st?

Jomo Dumba
Samberg Pionk

That's a decent top 4 for the next few years. If we could re-sign DeMelo, our D goes from disgrace to top tier in one season

That's a lot of futures to a team that needs to get a lot younger. Not sure I would be willing to pay that for Dumba. What assets do we have left to get a C with? Eakins is not the 2C of our future.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That's a lot of futures to a team that needs to get a lot younger. Not sure I would be willing to pay that for Dumba. What assets do we have left to get a C with? Eakins is not the 2C of our future.
That's the rub. We dont have the assets to do both. Had chevy not traded the last two first rounders away maybe we'd at least have one of those two needs in our pipeline (and if not, maybe we would have the assets to maybe trade for both).

What we need is to pull a move like Carolina did with Toronto last year. Use buffs capspace to buy someone out if it can generate an asset like a first rounder. I wonder how badly Vancouver wants to get rid of Louis eriksson

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's the rub. We dont have the assets to do both. Had chevy not traded the last two first rounders away maybe we'd at least have one of those two needs in our pipeline (and if not, maybe we would have the assets to maybe trade for both).

What we need is to pull a move like Carolina did with Toronto last year. Use buffs capspace to buy someone out if it can generate an asset like a first rounder. I wonder how badly Vancouver wants to get rid of Louis eriksson
While it was happenstance we got our own 1st round pick we did trade for a 1st rounder last summer for what was basically a diminishing asset in Trouba. To date we have had 9 first round picks in 8 drafts since getting a team back. The problem with taking a bad contract to get a pick is you now have to give up a good player or 2 you can’t sign because of the wasted cap space.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
While it was happenstance we got our own 1st round pick we did trade for a 1st rounder last summer for what was basically a diminishing asset in Trouba. To date we have had 9 first round picks in 8 drafts since getting a team back. The problem with taking a bad contract to get a pick is you now have to give up a good player or 2 you can’t sign because of the wasted cap space.
If we bought out out Ericksson (as an example), it would cost us 5.6 vs the cap next year and then 3.6 the year after (then .66 the following two years).

If we don't have plans for that capspace, maybe we could get a 1st if Vancouver is desperate enough (not sure why they would be).

The other upside is that it would keep chevy from being tempted to go out and overpay for an aging vet in UFA

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If we bought out out Ericksson (as an example), it would cost us 5.6 vs the cap next year and then 3.6 the year after (then .66 the following two years).

If we don't have plans for that capspace, maybe we could get a 1st if Vancouver is desperate enough (not sure why they would be).

The other upside is that it would keep chevy from being tempted to go out and overpay for an aging vet in UFA
Chevy is not going to handcuff himself because he is worried about what he’ll do.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Patty Laine and Neil Pionk might have plans for that cap space the season after next. Also ties Chevy’s hands next season to fix the defence.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Dumba plays a physical game, but he doesn't have size. Listed variously at 6', 180-183 lbs.

Dumba is a good player, but he is not worth Ehlers.

If Minnesota isn't in rebuild, why did they trade Zucker, Niederreiter, Coyle? 3 of their top 4 scorers are 35 YO and those 3 avg just 40 pts in 60 gms. If they aren't in rebuild mode, they sure should be. Isn't that why there is talk of Dumba being available?

They picked up such bizarre returns in all those deals. They gotta pick a direction and stick with it for more than 5 minutes.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Yeah the buyouts are tricky. I don't think the Jets are in a position to use them right now on a guy with term. Maybe in a situation like Backes as a hypothetical, but anyone where that buyout spreads over more than 2 years it's not a good spot for the Jets. Would have been a good spot for when we had so many guys on ELC before we had to pay them. I think we really missed the brief window we had with overlap between the old core and the young core to use those kind of tools to weaponize the cap space and grab useful assets.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Buff's capspace this season is just about gone and next season won't help with buyouts that have to spread over double the existing term of the contract. The Jets are going to be capped out again in summer 2021.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Buff's capspace this season is just about gone and next season won't help with buyouts that have to spread over double the existing term of the contract. The Jets are going to be capped out again in summer 2021.

And then even worse when sheif wheeler and helly all need new deals

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
This is one of the few players I would use samberg in a trade for because it’s the same position, same quality of player

I agree but does Dumba’s cost/production move the needle far enough?

I guess what I’m saying is if Samberg is as good as most believe he will be, would his play and being on an elc be better value? Depends how quickly he adapts to the NHL.

By the time he’s off his elc, Dumba’s contract would also be finished.

I certainly wouldn’t oppose to acquiring Dumba that’s for sure. Just gauging the value versus cost.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
That's way too far out to even think about.

When a trend is occurring it is not too far to think about IMO

Starting this year there is a 2 year cycle where the roster will be significantly thinned out. We are not talking about a cap crunch that all top teams go through either.

We are talking a reduction of key players rivaling this year for both of those key years as well.

I understand anything can happen between now and then and this and that but I like to be realistic. If you take a peak at the roster both years we will be in the same situations.

We need to start staggering our contracts better are we will be having 1 year runs and then scrambling to build again like the CFL

This year is proof of it

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
When a trend is occurring it is not too far to think about IMO

Starting this year there is a 2 year cycle where the roster will be significantly thinned out. We are not talking about a cap crunch that all top teams go through either.

We are talking a reduction of key players rivaling this year for both of those key years as well.

I understand anything can happen between now and then and this and that but I like to be realistic. If you take a peak at the roster both years we will be in the same situations.

We need to start staggering our contracts better are we will be having 1 year runs and then scrambling to build again like the CFL

This year is proof of it

The only guys under contract in Summer 2024 are Ehlers, Morrissey and Connor. Even if the cap doesn't change we'd have almost $65 million in cap space, realistically probably more like $75 million.

Laine probably takes $10 million of that and then we're worrying about signing RFA guys we don't even have in the organization yet. Most of the guys you mention will be leaving their prime and less of a concern.

Given the average career and contract length it's pretty much impossible to plan cap-wise more than 3 years out IMO.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
The only guys under contract in Summer 2024 are Ehlers, Morrissey and Connor. Even if the cap doesn't change we'd have almost $65 million in cap space, realistically probably more like $75 million.

Laine probably takes $10 million of that and then we're worrying about signing RFA guys we don't even have in the organization yet. Most of the guys you mention will be leaving their prime and less of a concern.

Given the average career and contract length it's pretty much impossible to plan cap-wise more than 3 years out IMO.

You can say it like that if you want, If you do some work on it you can see more then 3 players will be signed by then. You missed helly for starters.

Unless we are not a cap team and rebuilding
That year it will be a very big shedding of salary

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
You can say it like that if you want, If you do some work on it you can see more then 3 players will be signed by then. You missed helly for starters.

You should consider trying not to think everything is worse case scenario. All you do is spin things into a negative outcome.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

What happens if the next goalie we draft is better than Helly and we are able to shed his salary while the goalie is on rfa contract a million things could happen. Wheeler could retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad