Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - Tradecentre Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
You can say it like that if you want, If you do some work on it you can see more then 3 players will be signed by then. You missed helly for starters.

Unless we are not a cap team and rebuilding
That year it will be a very big shedding of salary

Hellebucyk is UFA in Summer 2024. Sounds like you need to do some work.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While it was happenstance we got our own 1st round pick we did trade for a 1st rounder last summer for what was basically a diminishing asset in Trouba. To date we have had 9 first round picks in 8 drafts since getting a team back. The problem with taking a bad contract to get a pick is you now have to give up a good player or 2 you can’t sign because of the wasted cap space.

Who are the good players we would have to give up if we took on a 1 yr bad contract?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Prefer not to trade a top prospect for a UFA. Would prefer we dealt him for picks and sign Vatanen in the summer.

Niku is rapidly aging out of "prospect" territory. I don't think we have to worry about this issue anyway as Niku's trade value is probably nil, might be able to grab a similar player that's stalling out at 23-24.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Niku is rapidly aging out of "prospect" territory. I don't think we have to worry about this issue anyway as Niku's trade value is probably nil, might be able to grab a similar player that's stalling out at 23-24.
If it's Nil, Maurice made it so. A year ago he was the reigning AHL defenseman of the year as a 20 year-old rookie.

Reactions: hn777 and Keystone

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Prefer not to trade a top prospect for a UFA. Would prefer we dealt him for picks and sign Vatanen in the summer.

Fair enough.

I don't think Niku is a top prospect though. He looks less and less likely to be a successful NHL player as time goes by.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If it's Nil, Maurice made it so. A year ago he was the reigning AHL defenseman of the year as a 20 year-old rookie.

A year ago Niku was 22. Yes, he was the reigning AHL Dman of the year. That award doesn't mean much in the NHL.

I don't think Maurice made Niku bad defensively. He might have made him less assertive, therefore less effective offensively. Niku appears to be trying to play better defensively ..... without much success so far.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

He's 23 going on 24 now so your math might be a little off. Unless something changes I doubt the Jets will have much trouble getting him through waivers next season if he's still here.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
A year ago Niku was 22. Yes, he was the reigning AHL Dman of the year. That award doesn't mean much in the NHL.

I don't think Maurice made Niku bad defensively. He might have made him less assertive, therefore less effective offensively. Niku appears to be trying to play better defensively ..... without much success so far.

Yeah I don't really know what people want Maurice to do for Niku. If we want to win games and make the playoffs we can't have Niku out there as he is. He has no idea how to play without the puck at this level and even at the AHL level struggles that way. As bad as other guys are, Niku is worse. He might get better but as he gets older his opportunity to prove himself runs out. He's got a pretty good run in the NHL the past two seasons and doesn't appear to be showing much improvement.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Despite the narrative pushed, Maurice obviously wants to win and he feels niku sitting helps that. I think Niku has shown he can't beat out depth ahl pieces or waiver wire pickups. Like Petan and many others who folks here get hard ons for, hes not an nhl player

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Sadly, it appears Niku is turning into a defenseman version of Nic Petan. Promising seasons shortly after his draft year and a good AHL stint followed underwhelming play in the NHL. It's so frustrating as he doesn't appear to be making any progress out there.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Sadly, it appears Niku is turning into a defenseman version of Nic Petan. Promising seasons shortly after his draft year and a good AHL stint followed underwhelming play in the NHL. It's so frustrating as he doesn't appear to be making any progress out there.

could he play defence in the AHL? Cause I just can’t understand how he was an indispensable piece we couldn’t part with exactly a year ago to worthless press box fodder now. Waste of an asset because he was already making waves about wanting out of here earlier this year.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Honest question...

First Petan, then dano, now niku. Do people fall in love with these guys because they're small? Kinda like rooting for Rudy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->