Rumor: Rumour and Proposals Thread: I'll Trade You My Banana For Your Dunkaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I just don't see a way forward with this guy. How can you build a roster where he's in/out of the lineup for 3 more years, how is that even going to work.

Let some team take that gamble and if he can't play they get LTIR dollars back.
You do realize Murray is always injured as well, right? In the past 4 season Klef has played in 85.5% of the games and Ryan Murray has played in 59.2% of his games. I mean if you want to talk about a D you can't rely on Ryan Murray is the poster boy.

Now that we know Klef has arthritis in his shoulder it's fairly clear he's not tradeable, I mean a team could technically do a Horton- Clarkson style trade with us, but when you're the rich team and we kind of are with Katz backing us, we're the one who tends to hold the LTIR guy. If Klef gets better at a later date, he's quite simply the better of the two defensemen.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It would be pretty stupid of the Oilers to have their number 1 mouthpiece (Stauffer) repeat multiple times on his show that Holloway is the next Marty Reasoner (said it again today) if they're going to pick him.

I highly doubt it's Guhle too after KH's comments today, but it's not impossible I guess.

No, what I'm saying is if they follow this pattern of valuing size (they also picked Rasmussen btw), I wouldn't be surprised if they picked Holloway (who fits their mold of big, fast and competitive) over one of the smaller skilled forwards if they fell to the Oilers. BTW, Stauffer said he had no idea what Holland and co. are thinking and I don't recall him saying that before so I doubt he has much intel this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You do realize Murray is always injured as well, right? In the past 4 season Klef has played in 85.5% of the games and Ryan Murray has played in 59.2% of his games. I mean if you want to talk about a D you can't rely on Ryan Murray is the poster boy.

Now that we know Klef has arthritis in his shoulder it's fairly clear he's not tradeable, I mean a team could technically do a Horton- Clarkson style trade with us, but when you're the rich team and we kind of are with Katz backing us, we're the one who tends to hold the LTIR guy. If Klef gets better at a later date, he's quite simply the better of the two defensemen.

How many years of playoffs are we willing to miss on the count of Klefbom's shoulder?

If they're gonna do that dumb Canadian division next year the only bad team in the division is Ottawa, we don't have the luxury of 2-4 months of sitting around waiting for Klefbom to maybe come back and be the crappy 17-18 version of himself.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Even if he sits the entire season, they should be targeting Gaborik in a Russell return. They'll need the extra cap to fill the multiple roles that have opened up due to this injury. If we don't, there are going to be a number of sub $1m players with quite a bit of responsibility.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but with Klef's injury I doubt that Russell is going to be traded now.

Reactions: gordonhught

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
How many years of playoffs are we willing to miss on the count of Klefbom's shoulder?

If they're gonna do that dumb Canadian division next year the only bad team in the division is Ottawa, we don't have the luxury of 2-4 months of sitting around waiting for Klefbom to maybe come back and be the crappy 17-18 version of himself.
If he's not good to go you just put him on LTIR and use the money for a replacement, what are you talking about?

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
You can't build a blue line with this guy in the near term if the goal is to be a playoff team.

Even if we sit around waiting for him to make up his mind that he feels good playing in say April ... OK now we can't even sign a replacement player for him in the interim becauut se for him to come back onto the roster means 4 million needs to come out.

He already f***ed us in the 17-18 season by not getting surgery, trying to play through it and playing like crap, and that team's season completely fell apart when they were supposed to be a contender.

Is he going to do the same thing to the team again now that they've had a successful year? Tank the following season for us?
Nah, you are right lets sell him for peanuts like you've been doing non stop for the past week cause that will make this franchise better on the ice and in the eyes of the world. Than we can here you bitch about the Oilers letting another player go and turn his career around on some team who had to pay basically nothing. Dubnyk, Shultz, Eberle, Marino, and Klefbom yeah that isn't mismanagement at its fullest. I"d rather have Klefbom sit until he's ready or retire than gift another team another top 4 defenseman.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he's not good to go you just put him on LTIR and use the money for a replacement, what are you talking about?

And how does that work exactly if he feels like coming back in say April or something?

You gonna sign someone for only 1/2 a season?

Now you have to move 4 million worth of salary off the cap to accomodate him. You have to give other team picks to take that salary back.

Then say he gets injured (again) 10 games later. Then what do you do?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Interesting tidbit I saw from the mains, which correlates to what I said about how there may be a misconception that Bouchard isn't Holland's "guy"

Apparently Detroit was planning to take Bouchard in 2018 until Zadina fell.

Holland and Wright were concerned about Hughes' size, so it'll be interesting to see whether they go for Jack Quinn (5'11) or Seth Jarvis (5'10) tomorrow, if either are available.

Holland said size isn't in a issue in his presser today and Oilers Now

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Based on what Jason Gregor is saying. I'm waiting for a more concrete source than him before assuming this much.
Gregor says he has confirmation from two reliable sources so I’d be pretty shocked if it’s not factual. It also lines up with what we’ve seen on the ice.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
That screams Holloway or Guhle over Jarvis or Quinn if they follow that same pattern. Keep in mind too that their first 2 picks last year were big guys as well so something to ponder (freak about haha) headed into tomorrow.

Holland said they are more than likely taking a forward. Also, Zadina wasn't big...

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I can pretty much guarantee its bone spurs
giphy.gif

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

I'm surprised more people on here haven't suggested this.

Use the cap room provided by his LTIR status to plug some holes. If he comes back and he's good, play him. If he's bad say he had a setback or re-injury place him back on LTIR and cast him off to Robidas island.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Edmonton's ability to improve in the short term is entirely dependant on their ability to make trades. Unfortunately there really isn't a position of depth to exploit in order to fill holes. It will always be a rob Peter, pay Paul scenerio.

Some opportunities I do think we have...

Moving Bouchard for more immediate help. This means gambling that Broberg projects to have a higher ceiling.

Moving Kassian to a team like Toronto for someone with another dimension.

Those 2- 2nds for AA, and the Klefbom injury really put us behind the 8-ball.
Moving Bouchard because of Broberg makes no sense. They are nothing alike and play different side and different game.
Bouch because of Bear could make sense if we are in on landing Barrie

Moving Kassian makes no sense either. A different dimension to him would be AA. Not going to get anything better than that. Overpaid middle 6 winger or backup goalie.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm surprised more people on here haven't suggested this.

Use the cap room provided by his LTIR status to plug some holes. If he comes back and he's good, play him. If he's bad say he had a setback or re-injury place him back on LTIR and cast him off to Robidas island.

You can't sign anyone that good doing this though, you'll be signing a bunch of low key 3rd/4th line wingers and bottom pairing D for however long you want to keep the "lets see if Klefbom's shoulder can hold up" circus keeps going on.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
And how does that work exactly if he feels like coming back in say April or something?

You gonna sign someone for only 1/2 a season?

Now you have to move 4 million worth of salary off the cap to accomodate him.

Then say he gets injured (again) 10 games later.
You do what most GM's do you have a sit down talk with him say we can't go into a season without replacing you and that means we are using your capspace, so go get the surgery and spend the entire year rehabbing it.

Then based on how your feeling in the next offseason we'll play it by ear. We've also been paying Russell $4M to play on our 3rd pair for how many years? Klef's salary isn't so obscene that we can't shift things around it if need be at a later date.

The guy has played through pain in his shoulder for the past couple seasons for us are we going to pretend he's not a team player all of sudden? These sort of handshake agreements happen behind the scenes. Have you seen all the guys Detroit had on LTIR over the years? I'm sure not all of them were so banged up they could never play the game again, but they came to a mutual understanding.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Maybe Klefbom to Arizona for a forward works now . They are about real dollars and could careless about cap hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad