Rumor: Rumour and Proposals Thread: I'll Trade You My Banana For Your Dunkaroos

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Man do have bad luck with injuries to extremely important D men. Going back to 2007.

Souray- injured badly in 1st season after signing huge contract. Bounces back the next year but the following year gets injured again and his career is essentially done.

Visnovsky- Shipped out two big pieces in Green and Stoll to get him first year gets hurt and misses 32 games. Next season team falls apart and he requests a trade.

Whitney- Turned Visnovsky into a great asset in Whitney. Whitney plays the best hockey of his career immediately upon arriving. Mid way through his first full season suffers a massive ankle injury and permanently loses his skating stride. Never the same and out of the league within a few years.

Now Klef. Really pretty unbelievable run we’ve had. Thankfully at least now we have some depth that can hopefully step up and fill the void.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I just don't see a way forward with this guy. How can you build a roster where he's in/out of the lineup for 3 more years, how is that even going to work.

Let some team take that gamble and if he can't play they get LTIR dollars back.
It's not the fact that you're including him in deals. It's the terrible value you're proposing.

For all your talk about Klefbom being made of glass, Murray has only played one full season too.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
tenor.gif

So NOW do you want to revisit this proposal?

Klefbom, 2021 first rounder, Neal for OEL

:sarcasm:

Reactions: MesstoFace11

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
That screams Holloway or Guhle over Jarvis or Quinn if they follow that same pattern. Keep in mind too that their first 2 picks last year were big guys as well so something to ponder (freak about haha) headed into tomorrow.
It would be pretty stupid of the Oilers to have their number 1 mouthpiece (Stauffer) repeat multiple times on his show that Holloway is the next Marty Reasoner (said it again today) if they're going to pick him.

I highly doubt it's Guhle too after KH's comments today, but it's not impossible I guess.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not the fact that you're including him in deals. It's the terrible value you're proposing.

For all your talk about Klefbom being made of glass, Murray has only played one full season too.

Yeah but I don't think people are grasping the problems his long term salary cause. His wishy-washiness on playing/not playing means you can't even use his LTIR unless you have a gauruntee he is going to miss the entire season.

Because if he wavers on that, now you're f***ed and need to move 4 million off the cap mid-season some how when ever he decides his shoulder is feeling OK.

I could be wrong but I don't think an NHL team can force a player who can play to not play for cap reasons.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It would be pretty stupid of the Oilers to have their number 1 mouthpiece (Stauffer) repeat multiple times on his show that Holloway is the next Marty Reasoner (said it again today) if they're going to pick him.

I highly doubt it's Guhle too after KH's comments today, but it's not impossible I guess.

So Holloway is the next Sakic then?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Man do have bad luck with injuries to extremely important D men. Going back to 2007.

Souray- injured badly in 1st season after signing huge contract. Bounces back the next year but the following year gets injured again and his career is essentially done.

Visnovsky- Shipped out two big pieces in Green and Stoll to get him first year gets hurt and misses 32 games. Next season team falls apart and he requests a trade.

Whitney- Turned Visnovsky into a great asset in Whitney. Whitney plays the best hockey of his career immediately upon arriving. Mid way through his first full season suffers a massive ankle injury and permanently loses his skating stride. Never the same and out of the league within a few years.

Now Klef. Really pretty unbelievable run we’ve had. Thankfully at least now we have some depth that can hopefully step up and fill the void.

Nobody is really close to being able to fill that void currently and him retiring basically destroys any chance of trading him for a return and it's not like his contract coming off the books does the Oilers much good. It's basically akin to letting your #1 Dman walk in free agency except with no contingency plan in place.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

The way Stauffer keeps comparing Jarvis to Point makes me think that's our guy.

Btw I'm really happy people have come around on Jarvis. I've been pumping his tires for like 6 months.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nobody is really close to being able to fill that void currently and him retiring basically destroys any chance of trading him for a return and it's not like his contract coming off the books does the Oilers much good. It's basically akin to letting your #1 Dman walk in free agency except with no contingency plan in place.

You need to sign a TJ Brodie or something, I think realistically it's the only solution.

We can't sit around and wait for this guy to figure out his shoulder problem. The regular season ended in March and he still doesn't know what to do.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The way Stauffer keeps comparing Jarvis to Point makes me think that's our guy.

Btw I'm really happy people have come around on Jarvis. I've been pumping his tires for like 6 months.

Yea I think he's our guy as well. Hope he's available at 14.

I also think they're not completely averse to taking Askarov with the pick, but that depends a lot on the teams before us.
Yeah but I don't think people are grasping the problems his long term salary cause. His wishy-washiness on playing/not playing means you can't even use his LTIR unless you have a gauruntee he is going to miss the entire season.

Because if he wavers on that, now you're f***ed and need to move 4 million off the cap mid-season some how when ever he decides his shoulder is feeling OK.

I could be wrong but I don't think an NHL team can force a player who can play to not play for cap reasons.
I know why you want to move him, but if you're claiming that his LTIR status gives him some value, it sure doesn't look like it with the proposals you're suggesting.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Holland needs to make FA decisions assuming that Klef's 4M is going to be on LTIR. Even if he doesn't get surgery, it's likely he can't play at a high level anymore and I'm sure you can find a team doctor that will certify that he is unfit to play with long-term arthritis.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

There will be a good player there - some team will reach in the top 13 and a forward will drop to the oilers

Worst case, the oilers draft another d-man

nurse / bear
Guhle / Bouchard
Broberg / Jones

makings of a really good defense, not next season but the one after

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Good thing is we’ve been through this before. Lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I know why you want to move him, but if you're claiming that his LTIR status gives him some value, it sure doesn't look like it with the proposals you're suggesting.

How picky can you be on value. LTIR does have value but it doesn't mean you're entitled to some solid return either, if you can even just clear the contract off the books long term, that's probably a win at this point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Klefbom for Jake Gardiner is something I'd do, problem is he has a NTC and is an American born guy, doubt he waives.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
There will be a good player there - some team will reach in the top 13 and a forward will drop to the oilers

nurse / bear
Guhle / Bouchard
Broberg / Jones

I dont hate Guhle, Schneider, Holloway, Mercer and Zary.

I actually think they are all safe bets to make the NHL. They also have the potential to be very good two way players and are players that help you win championships.

But if that's who is available you trade down.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

nurse / bear
Guhle / Bouchard
Broberg / Jones

We have Jones and Samo as well, so I'd still prefer that it was a forward, but with the Klefbom news I would understand the rationale of wanting more defensemen in our system.

How picky can you be on value. LTIR does have value but it doesn't mean you're entitled to some solid return either, if you can even just clear the contract off the books long term, that's probably a win at this point.

If you just want to get rid of the contract, I'm sure there are other ways, especially if he's considering retirement. Plus with the news about Klefbom's arthritis, I doubt teams are just lining up to trade for him right now.

It's pretty unrealistic to think Klefbom can be traded at the moment when even our own management doesn't know what his next move is.

Reactions: gordonhught

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We have Jones and Samo as well, so I'd still prefer that it was a forward, but with the Klefbom news I would understand the rationale of wanting more defensemen in our system.

If you just want to get rid of the contract, I'm sure there are other ways, especially if he's considering retirement. Plus with the news about Klefbom's arthritis, I doubt teams are just lining up to trade for him right now.

It's pretty unrealistic to think Klefbom can be traded right now when even our own management doesn't know what his next move is.

The team that would take him now would be one that wants LTIR money savings.

Like Murray for Klefbom as an example could save Columbus 3.8 million dollars in actual money next year assuming 80% of Klefbom's contract in covered by insurance (and I believe it is).

I don't think that's insignificant to their ownership.

For us maybe Murray can play 40-50 games for us and is ready at camp, then next year we have cap room open or can trade him in season for an upgrade.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Holland needs to make FA decisions assuming that Klef's 4M is going to be on LTIR. Even if he doesn't get surgery, it's likely he can't play at a high level anymore and I'm sure you can find a team doctor that will certify that he is unfit to play with long-term arthritis.
Even if he sits the entire season, they should be targeting Gaborik in a Russell return. They'll need the extra cap to fill the multiple roles that have opened up due to this injury. If we don't, there are going to be a number of sub $1m players with quite a bit of responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad