Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. VII - Cool Down the Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Perhaps the holdup are the RFAs. LL doesn't know how much capspace he has to work with until Beau, Sorokin, and most notably, Pelech are re-signed. Given the rumors of Pelech's asking price, that may have thrown the plan off for now.

It looks as if Sorokin and Beau have deals, since they did not file for arbitration... hopefully, Pelech's date is set early like April 11th.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This.

If Wang was still the owner, CL would 100% be our next GM. That would just be the nature of the beast, but I do believe that Malkin/Ledecky aren't prepared to throw it all away by appointing by nepotism rather than merit. They are too smart for that.
I hope you are right. Twice now, I have come across Arthur Staple comments saying he expects Chris L to be named the next GM.
The second time he made a comment along the lines of that's not what he would do.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
And Kieffer Bellows might be the same NHL scorer as his father was. Or not.
If you look at his goals and the number of games he’s played, he’s pretty much in the mix with Beau, Bailey etc. Doesn’t seem to be an assist guy.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Uhhhh - Got some news for you...

Chris Lamoriello

Assistant General Manager

Chris Lamoriello joined the Islanders in August, 2016 as the Director of Player Personnel. He was promoted to Assistant General Manager prior to the 2017-18 season.

Prior to joining the Islanders, the Providence, RI, native served as the Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations for the New Jersey Devils and the General Manager of the Albany Devils (AHL) from 2001-2015. Lamoriello was a part of the Devils scouting staff since the start of the 1995-96 season, covering all levels of hockey throughout the United States, Canada and Europe.

During Lamoriello's tenure with New Jersey, the Devils posted 12 100-point seasons, made the playoffs 14 times, reached the Stanley Cup Final four times and won two Stanley Cups (2000, 2003).

Lamoriello attended Providence College in 1994, where he earned his bachelor's degree in history. He played both hockey and baseball at Providence. Chris is the son of current President and General Manager Lou Lamoriello.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/team/chris-lamoriello-bio
Well, my bad then, had thought he was just the AHL GM. But my understanding is he primarily works out of the AHL office and not in the Islanders front office still.

But either way, if he's just a yes man in the role, I don't think he is being groomed to take over and he simply has a better title than I realized. On the flipside, if he is more than just a yes man, and has been more than that since 2016, then he deserves some of the credit for our success since then and he is more qualified than I realized.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
It looks as if Sorokin and Beau have deals, since they did not file for arbitration... hopefully, Pelech's date is set early like April 11th.
Sorokin stated that he didn't apply for arbitration in order not to strain relationship with the management. No deal yet.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Here is Google translation of contract relevant part of Sorokin interview from July 31:
- Your contract has expired. What are the key points you are discussing in the negotiations?
- There are certain points that need to be discussed, but nothing critical. In the next couple of weeks, I hope we will agree on everything.
- You are not playing the "Russian card", are you?
- Like, if anything, I'll return to the KHL? Well, they still understand that this will not happen. I'm not sure that anyone will fall for it now, and therefore when I see the news about Kirill Kaprizov, I laugh.
- Do you not believe that he will return?
- It is unlikely to return. Maybe I don’t know something, so I apologize in advance to Kirill.
- You have the right to arbitration if the club offers lax terms.
- I don't want to go to arbitration, why spoil relations with the management?
- It's a business. If you are traded, the club will not think about the relationship.
- I agree, but it seems to me that the issue of the contract can be resolved humanly.

https://m.sport-express.ru/hockey/nhl/reviews/ilya-sorokin-vratar-nyu-york-aylenders-o-pervom-sezone-v-nhl-intervyu-1818698

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If you look at his goals and the number of games he’s played, he’s pretty much in the mix with Beau, Bailey etc. Doesn’t seem to be an assist guy.
Kieffer Bellows is nowhere near the goal scorer his father was and that was my point to the poster, saying Lou is a good NHL GM therefore Chris will also be a good NHL GM.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Isles have had several blueliners coming out of Bridgeport who have developed well. Their success developing forward prospects is less impressive.

When an assistant NHL GM or AHL GM is doing a really good job, we often see other organizations try to poach that exec. We will see other teams ask for permission to interview that exec for an opening in their organization. I don't recall ever reading or hearing about other organizations asking for permission to interview Chris L.

Nothing he has done, should have him penciled in as the next nyi GM. Let him interview like any other exec interested in the job and let the best candidate get the job.

I'm not saying Chris Lamoriello should be given the job, but using the lack of AHL success as the reason just doesn't seem reasonable. It's a development league, he's not hands on with the players, coaching changes and that sort of thing are all tied to Lou as well, Chris isn't running that ship independently. The team is largely made up of players that Lou has picked as well. Pinning the lack of development from forwards on Chris doesn't seem like a fair assessment.

As far as other organizations asking for permission to interview him, I think that's true but he was with the Islanders before Lou came to the Islanders and we with Lou lots of things are kept under wraps. Maybe everyone in the league knows he's off limits or he's not interested? It wouldn't be that far fetched to think.

Again, I don't think he should just be given the job but the amount of people freaking out about the idea of that happening are kind of out to lunch and basing it off of nothing but a fear of nepotism.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm not saying Chris Lamoriello should be given the job, but using the lack of AHL success as the reason just doesn't seem reasonable. It's a development league, he's not hands on with the players, coaching changes and that sort of thing are all tied to Lou as well, Chris isn't running that ship independently. The team is largely made up of players that Lou has picked as well. Pinning the lack of development from forwards on Chris doesn't seem like a fair assessment.

As far as other organizations asking for permission to interview him, I think that's true but he was with the Islanders before Lou came to the Islanders and we with Lou lots of things are kept under wraps. Maybe everyone in the league knows he's off limits or he's not interested? It wouldn't be that far fetched to think.

Again, I don't think he should just be given the job but the amount of people freaking out about the idea of that happening are kind of out to lunch and basing it off of nothing but a fear of nepotism.
But Bridgeport sux and he’s Lou’s sonnnnn

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

for a couple of seasons now, we have seen Lambert's name coming up in press rumors, when teams are searching for head coaches. This yr Friedman wrote about the Arizona and Seattle HC openings, saying Lambert's name was in the mix, but Seattle wanted to name their HC while the isles were in their cup run and no other teams wanted to upset Lou by distracting Lambert. Lambert is drawing interest because of the work he's doing as an isles assistant coach. There is no keeping things under wraps when other organizations are have job openings that are upgrades..HC or NHL GM openings.

If Toronto or the NYR's current GM retired and handed off the GM job to a close family member, Isles nation would rightfully laugh our a**** off over the nepotism. All I want is for the isles to interview a large number of successful candidates and choose the most qualified.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
for a couple of seasons now, we have seen Lambert's name coming up in press rumors, when teams are searching for head coaches. This yr Friedman wrote about the Arizona and Seattle HC openings, saying Lambert's name was in the mix, but Seattle wanted to name their HC while the isles were in their cup run and no other teams wanted to upset Lou by distracting Lambert. Lambert is drawing interest because of the work he's doing as an isles assistant coach. There is no keeping things under wraps when other organizations are have job openings that are upgrades..HC or NHL GM openings.

If Toronto or the NYR's current GM retired and handed off the GM job to a close family member, Isles nation would rightfully laugh our a**** off over the nepotism. All I want is for the isles to interview a large number of successful candidates and choose the most qualified.

If Chris has made it clear he doesn't want to go anywhere there wouldn't be much news about it. Chris Lamoriello has at least had a bunch of experience in hockey, this isn't Charles Wang tapping Snow to become GM out of the blue or selecting the guy who sits in the lucky seat at the coliseum to be the new GM.

Why is anyone getting their panties in a bunch before it even happens? It hasn't been said that Chris will take over and the owners did a nice job finding a Snow replacement last time, maybe give them a little benefit if Lamoriello were needed to be replaced?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
There's a guy in TOR that was a wizard in the AHL (allegedly) and has the top spot in the NHL. How's that working out?

Reactions: JKP and MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Why is anyone getting their panties in a bunch before it even happens? It hasn't been said that Chris will take over and the owners did a nice job finding a Snow replacement last time, maybe give them a little benefit if Lamoriello were needed to be replaced?

It starts from one place (routinely) and gets kicked up every now and again.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Sorry, but this is some Dippin' Dots stuff to the rest of us. I get why it isn't for you but I can't put too much stock into it.

Respect. No one knows me from a hole in the wall nor if what I, or my friend said, is true. Or if my friend really even exists. Or if I am a bot.

But just use common sense to connect dots. Don't you think the son of one of the most powerful people in the NHL over the past 30 years would've risen above the "AHL" level by this point? Or conversely that the son is so inept that it took the powerful father just to get him into the NHL in the first place?

This is NOT a political statement, but one of nepotism, but Lou brought Chris into the Devils the way trump brought Jared Kushner into the White House. Neither Chris not Jared had any credentials to be in their respective positions other than they had powerful family member sitting at the head of the table.

And don't you think of Chris was doing any sort of a good job the Devils would've kept him on when Lou left for the Leafs in some capacity? I don't think it's a coincidence at all that Chris "resigned" shortly after.

Forget me...Just connect the dots and realize that Chris as GM of an NHL team would make Milbury look like Lou.

Reactions: PK Cronin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad