Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. VII - Cool Down the Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Why though? Genuine question, what has he done or even had the authority to do that makes you so confident he’d be a poor NHL GM?
I don't know whether he would be a good GM. The lack of a winning organization in Bridgeport is somewhat troubling.

I want a large pool of successful NHL and ahl execs to interview for the isles job. Then choose the best candidate from among that group.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't know whether he would be a good GM. The lack of a winning organization in Bridgeport is somewhat troubling.

I want a large pool of successful NHL and ahl execs to interview for the isles job. Then choose the best candidate from among that group.

Some teams don't care about winning in the AHL, it's about development more than winning.

Reactions: MJF and Kevin27NYI

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
I believe that with our current owners, they may provide an opportunity for Chris but if he’s not getting the job done, they’ll find the right man for the job.

Reactions: doublechili

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Hmm did we sign Radek Martinek yet .. this place is dead no one said of Chris Lamoriello's Bridgeport signings... Kyle McLean come get your Stanley Cup....

Seems like we have more of a change of signing Bill Murray, Murray Craven, or Eddie Murray than the Colorado Murray now.

Did anyone notice if Drew Doughty was seen eating at Peter Luger or looking for homes in Locust Valley?

Not sure what became of the "my New York Islander" guy... but miss seeing a mock lineup with Barzal centering Malkin and Matthews.

Are there any postings of Kyle Palmieri wearing Devils pajamas or Anthony Beauvillier in Habs speedos.

I don't see any positings where any user was willing to drive Leo Komarov to Anaheim as part of any trade

I guess we have confidence that we got what we wanted, or does Lou have a basement somewhere in Moriches where Cizikas, Parise and Palmieri are just gagged and will be forced to sign before training camp.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Hopefully he's leaving one sinking ship for another sinking ship....

I assume he is banking on Bill Daly handing the Rags one more lottery win next season, otherwise he might actually have to put in the work next year and try to overcome the natural obstacles already in place, otherwise known as Rangers ownership and management.

But, as long as he ingratiates himself to Dolan, Sather and Drury, he is probably set for as long as he can kiss @SS.

I will say that while I was really hoping for lifetime contracts for Jeff Gorton and Gordie "Busted Draft Pick" Clark, the Rags filling their organization with sycophants like Drury, Lilley, Jed Ortmeyer, Tanner Glass, Adam Graves, Jeff Beukeboom and "Professional Scouts" in Gordie Clark (a dude who clearly recognizes he is unemployable elsewhere), Steve Eminger, Steve Konowalchuk and Justin Sather makes me very happy.

They are all useless lumps of flesh as far as I can tell, who have presumably moved up the ranks by helping to fill seats in the crowd for Dolan's elementary-school blues group.

I love that Dolan is focusing on the Rangers now, hopefully he provides them with his expert tutelage and advice at every turn.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I play on both. Our pickup group plays 4 months in the summer game an Olympic sheet, and then we play 6 months in the winter on a normal sheet. Now, we're just a bunch of schleppers, but it's definitely an adjustment each fall/spring when we transition between the two.

I actually find it a little easier to defend on the wide sheet because you can push the attacking F's really wide and they have no decent shot/angle. I also find breakouts a little easier because there is lots of space up the middle or wide. Other little things I notice are reversing the puck behind the net to the weak side never seems to result in a decent breakout because our Ws are never near enough to the weak side boards and the opposing D can can pinch and retrieve it easier. There's also a lot more space to work with on the points as a D. One thing I struggle with is when we have the long change, as a Left D I get trapped out there a lot. Now it's pickup and we have no ref or icing, but it's still a looong way back to the bench.

When we go back to the small ice, it takes a while to adjust to the lack of space, everyone's bunched into the middle more. I find there's more scoring in our winter sessions on the small ice, and it's a much faster pace, you have less time to make decisions because there's less space to operate in.
Though I dont play Defense, we play every week on the Olympic surface with an odd game on the standard surface. A Speedy forward becomes a defenseman's worst nightmare on the Olympic surface unless said defenseman is mobile and can pivot with ease, on the smaller surface I can see
problems a defenseman would have with a strong forecheck. I get what your saying and I guess it depends on each individual.

Reactions: JKP

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
There is no reason to worry right now about the next GM. That being said if there is no interview process and Chris Lamoriello is handed the reigns that would be rough. My money is on Lou wanting his son to work for it though to be honest. Does not seem like the type of guy to want anything handed to his son.

Time will tell but I am not worried about the "ifs" of the future.
I'm not worried about Chris because he might as well be the same as his father. I trust him to be the same as Lou

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
also if lou did appoint Chris as the next GM, then he would have to be qualified as a result.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
What does an AHL GM actually do? The entire organization is run and stocked by the NHL execs. It's not like an AHL GM is going to make trades and transactions by himself.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Maybe Lou is silent because he's embarrassed by his moves and doesn't want to share them with the public.

Or maybe he actually murdered Palmieri, Cizikas, Zajac, Sorokin, and Beauvillier, and left for Rio.

How can you prove otherwise...?
Hire Columbo

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Though I dont play Defense, we play every week on the Olympic surface with an odd game on the standard surface. A Speedy forward becomes a defenseman's worst nightmare on the Olympic surface unless said defenseman is mobile and can pivot with ease, on the smaller surface I can see
problems a defenseman would have with a strong forecheck. I get what your saying and I guess it depends on each individual.
I think there's just adjustment regardless. For us, we're all adjusting together. For a pro coming over, he's adjusting to something everyone else is already adept at. Some will get it quicker, some slower, some probably never adjust or their skills don't translate the same way. I expect the kid to be a decent player, but I also expect he'll need some time to adjust.

Reactions: Top Corner

SI

Feb 16, 2013
How about a Shayne Gotisbehere for Boychuk?
You throw in Bellows to make the deal work. Hell, maybe even try to pawn off Panik too.

Ghost 2/4.5 AAV (1m of actual cash and then 3.5 the following year)
vs.
Boychuk 1/6 (only 1.25 of actual $)

This move allows Isles to not be hampered by LTIR, especially if they are not adding a big-ticket item like Tank.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Some teams don't care about winning in the AHL, it's about development more than winning.
Isles have had several blueliners coming out of Bridgeport who have developed well. Their success developing forward prospects is less impressive.

When an assistant NHL GM or AHL GM is doing a really good job, we often see other organizations try to poach that exec. We will see other teams ask for permission to interview that exec for an opening in their organization. I don't recall ever reading or hearing about other organizations asking for permission to interview Chris L.

Nothing he has done, should have him penciled in as the next nyi GM. Let him interview like any other exec interested in the job and let the best candidate get the job.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Isles have had several blueliners coming out of Bridgeport who have developed well. Their success developing forward prospects is less impressive.

When an assistant NHL GM or AHL GM is doing a really good job, we often see other organizations try to poach that exec. We will see other teams ask for permission to interview that exec for an opening in their organization. I don't recall ever reading or hearing about other organizations asking for permission to interview Chris L.

Nothing he has done, should have him penciled in as the next nyi GM. Let him interview like any other exec interested in the job and let the best candidate get the job.
I think that's whats the best interest in the ownership as well. Once lou is done, get someone who is stable and able to maintain the course of this franchise. If they are smart, i absolutely would love to look into someone like a Bill Zito.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Perhaps the holdup are the RFAs. LL doesn't know how much capspace he has to work with until Beau, Sorokin, and most notably, Pelech are re-signed. Given the rumors of Pelech's asking price, that may have thrown the plan off for now.

Reactions: CREW99AW

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

This.

If Wang was still the owner, CL would 100% be our next GM. That would just be the nature of the beast, but I do believe that Malkin/Ledecky aren't prepared to throw it all away by appointing by nepotism rather than merit. They are too smart for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad