Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. VII - Cool Down the Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
for some reason, my reply isn't working. maybe i was a bad boy? idk...

"i did, lol. did i speak for you? someone else? smh...

i don't feel sorry for him, nor want him on my team.​
".....he is exactly the kind of player that we don't want." I don't know who the "we" is that you're speaking for, but I'm not necessarily among them - that would depend on the price and his health - and I certainly am not among those who wouldn't want him for reasons related to his personality.
pursuit81, Today at 2:23 PMReportBookmark"

of course i was referring to the fans that don't want him, and had voiced it. but i get you.

and i get the lure... but i just say, please LL... stay away.

we have great success currently, with the 'by-committee' gang that we have now, and i am a bit edgy about adding a superstar. like him.

In Lou We Trust (of course, that is only for the people who trust him :nod: )

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
In the event that Lou is 100% fine with a rookie taking on that responsibility, then let it happen. You need to see if they're ready. if not, then I do suspect a trade in the works for someone. That's what I will leave it as

As for the rest of this offseason, keep the core and let's build off last year. Goal is playoffs first, then navigate through there

Pretty sure that after two conference finals, the goal is an SC appearance.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What happens when Lou doesn't report anything and Isles fans have nothing to talk about...

*Lou is hurting our mental health

Reactions: chico19341

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Saw this on a Penguins sight. Perhaps a little true. Clever example although writer admits Lou is within the rules.

2. Lou Lamoriello Believed to be Not Reporting Contracts.

It’s akin to hiding poker chips in your pocket.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What happens when Lou doesn't report anything and Isles fans have nothing to talk about...

Looks like Chris couldn't take it anymore...
upload_2021-8-4_1-4-57.png

Reactions: buud

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Maybe Lou is silent because he's embarrassed by his moves and doesn't want to share them with the public.

Or maybe he actually murdered Palmieri, Cizikas, Zajac, Sorokin, and Beauvillier, and left for Rio.

How can you prove otherwise...?

You know the clown GM from the Rangers will try to pull a Lou next year and f* it up. Probably end up with Ho-Sang .

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
Anyone else very concerned that Chris Lamoriello will be our next GM...?

I am.
I’ve been saying for a while that I think this was part of the deal for Lou to agree to coming on board.

It’s also why I don’t buy the “Lou is elderly, he doesn’t care about the future outlook of the franchise” narrative because I highly doubt he’d want to leave his son with a dumpster fire of a team to start off his GMing career.

The organization has shown pretty much no interest at all in making BPT competitive since its inception so I’ll reserve judgement on Chris until he’s calling the shots for the big club.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Anyone else very concerned that Chris Lamoriello will be our next GM...?

I am.
Personally, I think if he were being groomed to be the next GM he'd be an assistant or associate GM rather than an AHL GM. That's the usual route to becoming a GM, and I can't think of anyone going from AHL GM to NHL GM.

Based on what I know of Lou, I think it's more likely that Lou lets Chris handle the day to day minutiae in the AHL that he doesn't have time for, and that Chris lets him make all the real decisions. This setup essentially allows Lou to be the real GM of both teams.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I’ve been saying for a while that I think this was part of the deal for Lou to agree to coming on board.

It’s also why I don’t buy the “Lou is elderly, he doesn’t care about the future outlook of the franchise” narrative because I highly doubt he’d want to leave his son with a dumpster fire of a team to start off his GMing career.

The organization has shown pretty much no interest at all in making BPT competitive since its inception so I’ll reserve judgement on Chris until he’s calling the shots for the big club.

Ironically, the announcement that Chris Terry has been added is pretty legit. He's led or been near the top in AHL scoring several times and I believe he scored at just under a PPG pace in the KHL last season.

Reactions: buud

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Personally, I think if he were being groomed to be the next GM he'd be an assistant or associate GM rather than an AHL GM. That's the usual route to becoming a GM, and I can't think of anyone going from AHL GM to NHL GM.

Based on what I know of Lou, I think it's more likely that Lou lets Chris handle the day to day minutiae in the AHL that he doesn't have time for, and that Chris lets him make all the real decisions. This setup essentially allows Lou to be the real GM of both teams.

Uhhhh - Got some news for you...

Chris Lamoriello

Assistant General Manager

Chris Lamoriello joined the Islanders in August, 2016 as the Director of Player Personnel. He was promoted to Assistant General Manager prior to the 2017-18 season.

Prior to joining the Islanders, the Providence, RI, native served as the Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations for the New Jersey Devils and the General Manager of the Albany Devils (AHL) from 2001-2015. Lamoriello was a part of the Devils scouting staff since the start of the 1995-96 season, covering all levels of hockey throughout the United States, Canada and Europe.

During Lamoriello's tenure with New Jersey, the Devils posted 12 100-point seasons, made the playoffs 14 times, reached the Stanley Cup Final four times and won two Stanley Cups (2000, 2003).

Lamoriello attended Providence College in 1994, where he earned his bachelor's degree in history. He played both hockey and baseball at Providence. Chris is the son of current President and General Manager Lou Lamoriello.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/team/chris-lamoriello-bio

Reactions: MYIslanders

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

From day 1 I thought that the bolded was the case.

That said, I'm not worried about Lou handing the next GM a quality team...I'm worried about what that next GM does with it.

And if the next GM is Chris Lamoriello then I'm very very worried.

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
From day 1 I thought that the bolded was the case.

That said, I'm not worried about Lou handing the next GM a quality team...I'm worried about what that next GM does with it.

And if the next GM is Chris Lamoriello then I'm very very worried.
What evidence can you provide besides the putrid bunch in Bridgeport?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Why though? Genuine question, what has he done or even had the authority to do that makes you so confident he’d be a poor NHL GM?

What evidence can you provide besides the putrid bunch in Bridgeport?

I have a good friend who worked for the Panthers for years so he was plugged in. Warned me that we wouldn't like Brett Yormark before we went to Barclays, and further said that Chris Lamoriello basically only has a job because of his dad. Trying to remember all he told me, but as I remember it was some combination of incompetence and abrasive/rude. Also pointed out that given his dad would've had a GM job already if any team thought he was qualified enough, but rather the reason he's in is dad's shadow is because without him he wouldn't even be given the AHL GM gigs with the Devils and Isles.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
There is no reason to worry right now about the next GM. That being said if there is no interview process and Chris Lamoriello is handed the reigns that would be rough. My money is on Lou wanting his son to work for it though to be honest. Does not seem like the type of guy to want anything handed to his son.

Time will tell but I am not worried about the "ifs" of the future.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i would love to hear that Giordano has joined the squad. i don't think he wants to come out east, does he?

would be a great add.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Maybe Lou is silent because he's embarrassed by his moves and doesn't want to share them with the public.

Or maybe he actually murdered Palmieri, Cizikas, Zajac, Sorokin, and Beauvillier, and left for Rio.

How can you prove otherwise...?
You may be onto something.

Rumor has it that Lou and his friend like a nice Chianti.

27513335.gif

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
I have a good friend who worked for the Panthers for years so he was plugged in. Warned me that we wouldn't like Brett Yormark before we went to Barclays, and further said that Chris Lamoriello basically only has a job because of his dad. Trying to remember all he told me, but as I remember it was some combination of incompetence and abrasive/rude. Also pointed out that given his dad would've had a GM job already if any team thought he was qualified enough, but rather the reason he's in is dad's shadow is because without him he wouldn't even be given the AHL GM gigs with the Devils and Isles.
Ugh, thanks.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
We don't know if Seattle would have taken Leddy. We all just figured they would.k

And the Ladd deal could have been made without the Leddy deal taking place. None of the assets in the Leddy deal were used to make the Ladd deal.

Wrote some writers.

There were less expensive players of ours for Seattle to choose from, most with shorter terms. Eberle appears to have been their personal desire.

I didn't call any of that mismanagement.

I wrote this:
<<<
Well presented.

If we moved Leddy for a 2nd so as to move our 22 1st to replace Leddy, that's a high degree of asset management failure.
<<<

Which brings us to...

I'll tell you who is not the stud you think he is: Lindholm.

And the guy certainly isn't as good as Leddy, despite whatever advantages his being 4 years younger right now would seem to give him. His upward curve dried up real quick and scratching 30 points became his ceiling while his all-round game regularly features more breakdowns than desired.

I think you need to look into him a bit more.

Moving our 22 1st would not be wise unless it's for a considerable and highly affordable upgrade with term. I suspect that the NYI will keep this asset in their back pocket for the trade deadline.

Ah, and now we get to the crux of the misconceptions. Hope @Richie Daggers Crime is also paying attention...

If we didn't move Leddy and then Ladd and then have Eberle picked, the ONLY thing we'd have been able to do - sans further trades - this offseason was MAYBE re-sign our three big RFAs. That's it. That's all the cap allowed.

And that was while we were thinking that Pelech was gonna be getting 5-6 MM per with his new contract. We may be wrong about that now...

Any improvement or retaining of our own UFAs meant Leddy was being moved, expansion draft or not. He was basically out the second Game 7 ended, expansion draft or not.

We HAD to get rid of several of our 5+ MM players in order to even entertain re-signing Cizikas and Palmieri (in addition to our RFAs), much less adding other players from the outside. And Leddy was one of, if not the, most marketable of any of our (non-core) 5+ MM players.

The way things have gone down, we're one of the league's biggest benficiaries of the expansion draft, because Seattle actually took one of those 5+ MM players off our hands and we didn't even have to pay them to do it.

So for anyone who thinks Leddy is still on this team right now if there's no expansion draft, you're doing yourself a grave disservice.

We needed cap space one way or another - I repeat, one way or another - and outside of the core of the team moving forward (for argument's sake, let's say that core is the 10 guys we protected), Leddy was one of the absolute most moveable.

Now, if we had no cap concerns AND there was no expansion draft, sure, I don't see why the team would have moved him.

Now that THAT is cleared up...

We'd all like to think so. Will Lou find them?

We already mentioned things like moving them in a play to pick up Calvin de Haan.

But does Lou even want to move them and their contracts?

Well, Bridgeport just announced the (re-)signing of six players.:)

There's plenty of time until camp opens up.

I think we all agree that everything we've seen in Lou's time here means were not going into camp with Hickey, Aho, Bolduc, and Salo battling things out for a spot of the left defensive side.

Some other solution will be found.

For now, all eyes on Pelech.

I do not want to get into a back and forth about whether or not Leddy would have been the pick or not. There was enough smoke around him being the potential selection, so they tried to deal him and Eberle to recoup some picks. they were able to find a taker for Leddy, but not Eberle.

My comment about the Ladd deal was that by grabbing the additional 2nd they were able to make the Ladd move with a clear conscience with regards to the draft... it feels easier to make that move knowing you have another 2nd round pick in your back pocket.

This all comes down to how you rate Lindholm. I rate him fairly high and you actually see him as a downgrade to Leddy, which I feel most would disagree with you.

Any metrics nerds out there - can you post Leddy and Lindholm’s metrics card to support this discussion?

With regards to the Cap and I feel like I have done my work in understanding the Isles cap situation. And To the bolded comment - if Leddy was still on this team, then That would be great because as it stands the extra scratch saved now has to go to a top 4 d man. Not Lou’s fault - he tried for some free agents but got outbid.

We will see how It all plays out-

What I would advocate for is a Chara signing over anything else. I still think he has enough in the tank - Hickey and Aho caddy works for me for Chara and Greene and then we can see where we are at the deadline.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Sorry, but this is some Dippin' Dots stuff to the rest of us. I get why it isn't for you but I can't put too much stock into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad