Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. VII - Cool Down the Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
You need 9 defensemen for the season. There will always be injuries, especially with a compressed schedule from the Olympics. I want Chara. Play him for 18 minutes twice a week. If he sucks, trade for someone else at the deadline. Low risk move for a potentially solid fit.
You sure do but if in those 9 are Hickey, Aho, Greene, Chara, and the kids, thats a problem. Hey look, we have an award winning GM who I am sure knows this. This team will need an upgrade at that position at some point in the season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
One situation I'm kind of curious about is that of impending UFA Dman Matt Hellickson.

The Notre Dame grad actually has to be signed by NJD today (as I understand it) or he becomes a UFA.

An almost strictly defensive Dman, Team USA did have him on the roster for the WC and he got into all nine games. From what I saw, he didn't miss a beat or, I should say, look out of place in the least. His decision making was strong, he was physical, and I saw a lot of good first passes from him.

Being that he was at Notre Dame, Isles scouts are surely in the know about him.

Aside from that, still wondering if a deal sending Hickey or Komarov to CHI for de Haan might be a route chosen.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
One situation I'm kind of curious about is that of impending UFA Dman Matt Hellickson.

The Notre Dame grad actually has to be signed by NJD today (as I understand it) or he becomes a UFA.

An almost strictly defensive Dman, Team USA did have him on the roster for the WC and he got into all nine games. From what I saw, he didn't miss a beat or, I should say, look out of place in the least. His decision making was strong, he was physical, and I saw a lot of good first passes from him.

Being that he was at Notre Dame, Isles scouts are surely in the know about him.

Aside from that, still wondering if a deal sending Hickey or Komarov to CHI for de Haan might be a route chosen.

I just checked and it looks like he signed an AHL deal and played some games with the Binghamton Devils last season.

Hellickson Signs With The Binghamton Devils

https://www.oursportscentral.com/se...ign-matt-hellickson-to-ahl-contract/n-5679711

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I just checked and it looks like he signed an AHL deal and played some games with the Binghamton Devils last season.

https://www.oursportscentral.com/se...ign-matt-hellickson-to-ahl-contract/n-5679711

Indeed, but that was only for the remainder of the 20-21 season. For a college kid who ends his college career (be it prematurely or after all 4 seasons), you can't just sign him to a multi-year AHL deal.

Now, even though they CAN sign him to an AHL contract, it can't be done until he officially becomes a UFA. For these college guys, you either give them an ELC or they become a free agent. Then you can sign them for the farm, but they're given the opportunity to see if someone else would like to give them an ELC or is perhaps a franchise with more "opportunity" in the system and thus a better place to sign an AHL contract.

This is different for CHL kids. You can give them whatever contract you want up until the point where they are no longer your property (two years after being drafted; one year if drafted as an overager). This was done for Coskey and Bibeau.

After the WC showing, I'd be surprised if Hellickson isn't given an ELC.

Last edited:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Detroit does, but they're hardly a new hockey market. I'm not saying that there aren't highly successful teams in cities with NBA teams, but generally they are either in well established hockey markets or they are in wealthier areas than Cleveland, or ideally, both.

But I'm not sure how Cleveland having an NBA team applies to Columbus, who does not have an NBA team; will need clarification on what you mean by that.

Columbus is a college sports town. Cleveland has the population but lacks the disposable income. The team should be in Cincinnati. They have the people with the most disposable income.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Was a little bored last night and found the NHL Network documentary on the U.S. winning the 1996 World Cup and noted (albeit in a limited role when talking about it) Lou was the GM of that team and how he interacted with Coach Ron Wilson and the players. A bit of an eye opener into how he thinks in the role since he's so 'close to the vest' these days. Well worth watching this as an insight into how he builds a team.

I had forgotten a few things about that series:

Beating Russia twice, including routing them in the playoff round

Losing he first game of the finals at home to Canada and they taking them down TWICE in Canada to win the Cup, with the score being 5-2 both games

The talent on that U.S. squad was unreal:

And this was versus this Canada team:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Was a little bored last night and found the NHL Network documentary on the U.S. winning the 1996 World Cup and noted (albeit in a limited role when talking about it) Lou was the GM of that team and how he interacted with Coach Ron Wilson and the players. A bit of an eye opener into how he thinks in the role since he's so 'close to the vest' these days. Well worth watching this as an insight into how he builds a team.

I had forgotten a few things about that series:

Beating Russia twice, including routing them in the playoff round

Losing he first game of the finals at home to Canada and they taking them down TWICE in Canada to win the Cup, with the score being 5-2 both games

The talent on that U.S. squad was unreal:

And this was versus this Canada team:

Side note. I was at a bar in Canada 3 blocks from the Moulson Center and was the DD for my two drunk friends.

That first empty netter my pals went ballistic. Guy wearing a Canadian flag with his face painted the same turned around and told me in the most serious voice he was going to cut our throats. I made them stand by the door and the second empty netter they gave the middle finger and said "f*** you Canada" in unison. We ran out and i said screw it and spent the rest of the night trying to chase their buzz at Club Super Sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad